Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #181
Grasslands
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Getting set to purchase my ingredients for a club brew this weekend. I'm scaling back a tad on the MO as I tend to get efficiencies in the high 70s. I'm also planning on pitching two US-05 packets for my 6g batch - it'll be the first time I'm rehydrating this strain too.

Quick question re: the sugar. I'm considering subbing turbinado (sugar in the raw) for the corn sugar. At just over 5% of the overall grist, I'm not expecting any major flavor differences between corn sugar and turbinado. All the same, has anyone used turbinado in an IIPA (or an IPA) recipe before?

Brewing this will be timely as I plan on entering it into a few regional competitions in FL - one being an all-IPA event.

GrassLands Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #182
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
Quick question re: the sugar. I'm considering subbing turbinado (sugar in the raw) for the corn sugar. At just over 5% of the overall grist, I'm not expecting any major flavor differences between corn sugar and turbinado. All the same, has anyone used turbinado in an IIPA (or an IPA) recipe before?
Just added this to my backlog -- I'll brew it once the 20 gallons of IPA in the brew closet are gone

As for the turbinado, I've used it successfully in a few IPAs but not in that quantity. I usually add 1/2 - 3/4 cup (0.1-0.25 pounds)-- nothing close to 1# in the recipe. At the amounts I add, it adds a very slight touch of molasses -- I would expect a full pound to be way too predominant. Maybe someone else can chime in but I'd probably do 1/2# table sugar and 1/2# turbinado.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #183
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Just added this to my backlog -- I'll brew it once the 20 gallons of IPA in the brew closet are gone

As for the turbinado, I've used it successfully in a few IPAs but not in that quantity. I usually add 1/2 - 3/4 cup (0.1-0.25 pounds)-- nothing close to 1# in the recipe. At the amounts I add, it adds a very slight touch of molasses -- I would expect a full pound to be way too predominant. Maybe someone else can chime in but I'd probably do 1/2# table sugar and 1/2# turbinado.
Interesting - In some of my French Saisons, I've used up to 1 lb of turbinado (added @ 10 minutes), but I don't get an overwhelming sense of molasses - but that may be due to the type of yeast I'm using as it almost dominates the flavor profile. My initial thought with this monster of an IIPA grain/hop/dryhop bill, 1 lb of turbinado wouldn't amount to much flavor addition, if at all. I could be wrong though - I might go half/half and see how that affects the overall product.

Just out of curiosity, when you've added in the turbinado, has it been the "Sugar in the Raw" brand? If so, did the grain/hop bill resemble anything close to Biermuncher's TUIIPA?

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #184
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, when you've added in the turbinado, has it been the "Sugar in the Raw" brand? If so, did the grain/hop bill resemble anything close to Biermuncher's TUIIPA?
The recipe I used was a regular IPA (Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe) @ 6.7% ABV and 85 IBU. I used 4oz of an imported natural brown sugar which is similar to Sugar in the Raw, but with a stronger molasses flavor.

After comparing the recipes and comparing the sugar I used vs. 'Sugar in the Raw' -- I think you could do a full pound of it and it'll be fine -- especially with higher ABV, more IBU's to compete with, and definitely if you like molasses flavor. I hate to retract my original opinion but I think 1# of Sugar in the Raw would work well in this recipe.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #185
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
There is lots of brewing software out there to help you with recipes, some are for-pay like ProMash or BeerSmith while others are free. Google for them. Install, then add a new recipe. Input BM's recipe as given, then use the "Scale" feature if that software has one.

I ran it through BeerSmith 1.4 for you and got this. Here ya go

Batch Size: 5.00 gal Boil Size: 6.41 gal

13 lbs 13.5 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.71 %
12.3 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.71 %
12.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.71 %
3.1 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.18 %
12.3 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)

0.76 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 28.3 IBU

0.76 oz Nugget [11.50 %] (45 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
0.76 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (30 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.95 oz Cascade [6.10 %] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.76 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.76 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.76 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (10 min) Hops 7.1 IBU

0.96 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.96 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.96 oz Cascade [6.10 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.77 oz Summit [16.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
Thank you so much

Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #186
Jtd6628
Recipes 

Drinking this right now. Don't know what it is about this recipe but it was my 7th brew and first that did not have that homebrew twang! Great beer!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #187
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed this on Sunday with a bunch of my club buddies for a summer party in July. Hit an OG of 1.083 after backing off 2 lbs of MO. Only changes were swapping out Mt. Hood for Citra and using Turbinado for my sugar addition. Woke up this morning to one hell of a blow-off.

Stoked!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #188
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Brewed this on Sunday with a bunch of my club buddies for a summer party in July. Hit an OG of 1.083 after backing off 2 lbs of MO. Only changes were swapping out Mt. Hood for Citra and using Turbinado for my sugar addition. Woke up this morning to one hell of a blow-off.

Stoked!
I don't see either Mt. Hood or Citra hops in this recipe.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #189
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmer9

I don't see either Mt. Hood or Citra hops in this recipe.
I meant to say I subbed the Crystal hops with Mt. Hood.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #190
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just took a sample the other day out of curiosity to see where my gravity was...

1.083 on April 22.
1.012 on April 30.

WOW! Then I tasted the undryhopped, yeasty sample. WOW again!

GrassLands Brewery

Quick Reply