Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #751
buzzno
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed this a couple months ago and served it at a party last night. It smelled and tasted delicious! It got rave reviews from people. The citra is outstanding I'm this brew. Keg went dry at the party. Good thing I made a double batch and have a spare to tap!

Thanks for providing this recipe OP. I hope someday I get to try the original. No distribution in the Northwest :-(

Here's the sign I made over the tap:

forumrunner_20131006_193013.jpg

Primary1: Sadly nothing right now :-(
Secondary: Cider w/Saison Yeast
Bottled: Wanona's Big Brown Beaver Nutz Ale
Bottled: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Cinnamon Clove Cider w/Nottingham
Keg1: 2 Gold IPA
Keg2: Partigyle from the Founders Breakfast Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #752
Nargan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I had been looking forward to this one for months. I finally got the equipment to switch from extract to all grain so this weekend was finally time to do it. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and didn't turn out as intended. In the end, I discovered that my cheapo budget thermometer appears to be horribly inaccurate by about 15 degrees so my mash was almost certainly NOT 152F and was probably closer to 136-140F. Pre-boil gravity was a measly 1.030. Post-boil was 1.048 but only after I did an extended boil because I decided the batch was already lost so why not try to get a usable gravity out of it.

It smells ridiculously good right now but it most certainly is not a Zombie Dust clone. I've ordered two new thermometers and intend to call do-over on this recipe in another week or two. I hadn't noticed this problem before because I was brewing using extract and really didn't use the thermometer much.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #753
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargan
I had been looking forward to this one for months. I finally got the equipment to switch from extract to all grain so this weekend was finally time to do it. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and didn't turn out as intended. In the end, I discovered that my cheapo budget thermometer appears to be horribly inaccurate by about 15 degrees so my mash was almost certainly NOT 152F and was probably closer to 136-140F. Pre-boil gravity was a measly 1.030. Post-boil was 1.048 but only after I did an extended boil because I decided the batch was already lost so why not try to get a usable gravity out of it. It smells ridiculously good right now but it most certainly is not a Zombie Dust clone. I've ordered two new thermometers and intend to call do-over on this recipe in another week or two. I hadn't noticed this problem before because I was brewing using extract and really didn't use the thermometer much.
Sorry to hear. I've never met a thermometer I've trusted. Well, until I bought a thermapen. I occasionally use that for double checking temps. The long stem bimetallic seem the most inaccurate, and forget about that floating thermometer. Also beware of the so called laboratory thermometers, which can get a portion of the red fluid separated from the rest of the column.

TD

Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #754
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargan View Post
I had been looking forward to this one for months. I finally got the equipment to switch from extract to all grain so this weekend was finally time to do it. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and didn't turn out as intended. In the end, I discovered that my cheapo budget thermometer appears to be horribly inaccurate by about 15 degrees so my mash was almost certainly NOT 152F and was probably closer to 136-140F. Pre-boil gravity was a measly 1.030. Post-boil was 1.048 but only after I did an extended boil because I decided the batch was already lost so why not try to get a usable gravity out of it.

It smells ridiculously good right now but it most certainly is not a Zombie Dust clone. I've ordered two new thermometers and intend to call do-over on this recipe in another week or two. I hadn't noticed this problem before because I was brewing using extract and really didn't use the thermometer much.
Rule #1 about all grain (mine abyhow) is to keep DME on hand at all times.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #755
rcs226
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have brewed this with 1968, 002 and s-04. All have turned out great. I think I like s-04 the best and 002 the least. (I'm drinking the s-04 now). My opinion is biased though. I LOVE citra! If for any reason you have a doubt just take a chance and a brew the OP, you will not regret it if you like this style.

Next up is Conan, I'm sure that will top them all!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #756
Flipadelphia
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed this once before and had so much hop gunk in my keg that it clogged everything up. To prevent this, is it OK if I:

1. Hop during the boil in a paint strainer bag.
2. Filter runnings into my carboy with another paint strainer bag
3. Dry hop in a paint strainer bag with a couple stainless steel bolts.

Is there any downside to my plan?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #757
sj3324
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia
I brewed this once before and had so much hop gunk in my keg that it clogged everything up. To prevent this, is it OK if I: 1. Hop during the boil in a paint strainer bag. 2. Filter runnings into my carboy with another paint strainer bag 3. Dry hop in a paint strainer bag with a couple stainless steel bolts. Is there any downside to my plan?
I use paint strainer bags every time I hop any beer. Do you dry hop in a carboy? I would recommend doing it in the keg if you are using a bag, pulling a bag of hops out of a carboy is a PITA.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #758
Flipadelphia
Recipes 

Just mashed in @ 151-152. Upped the batch to 6 gallons to account for trub and my seemingly random boil rates.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #759
mtnagel
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
Just mashed in @ 151-152. Upped the batch to 6 gallons to account for trub and my seemingly random boil rates.
Cool, I'll be over in a few weeks to try one (says the guys from Cincinnati also).

Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #760
Flipadelphia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Cool, I'll be over in a few weeks to try one (says the guys from Cincinnati also).
Haha, come over to try one! I live in Milford.

I hit my numbers pretty well...1.068..pitched a huge starter of Wyeast 1968 and she's in the fridge @ 65 degrees. Can't wait for this one to be done.

Quick Reply