Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #451
m_stodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post
First, let me say I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe this spring!

A question re: the extract recipe, would you need a bit more than 6lbs DME to get an OG of 1.065? Punching this into TastyBrew (5lb batch, all grains set to "steep" rather than "mash") I got 1.059 OG with 6lbs DME, and had to step up to 6.6lb DME to get up to 1.065 OG. Maybe this just reflects different assumptions b/w TastyBrew and BrewSmith re: sugar extraction from steeped grains, but would be interesting to know if extract brewers are able to hit 1.065 OG using the 6lbs DME.
Yes. I think it might be misleading to call it an extract/PM recipe. The 1lb of Munich needs to be mashed. If you sub the Munich Malt for Munich extract, you've got an extract recipe.

I'm not even sure what steeping Munich malt would do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #452
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
So instead of the FWH option add a 20 addition?
I actually ignored the IBU's for the beer (there is no "range" when you're cloning a beer) and this beer is focused on late hop additions.

However, I did use FWH on my software to predict the 0.75 oz addition; and I've used it as a reference for future beers. Having made 10-15 FWH beers now, I trust my software prediction for FWH IBU calculation and believe it to be real.

I'd encourage you to do the same with BeerSmith or whatever you use to get an understanding of the IBU from FWH.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #453
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just finished brewing this one up! Things went very well, all numbers came out perfect! Thanks all.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #454
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post
First, let me say I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe this spring!

A question re: the extract recipe, would you need a bit more than 6lbs DME to get an OG of 1.065? Punching this into TastyBrew (5lb batch, all grains set to "steep" rather than "mash") I got 1.059 OG with 6lbs DME, and had to step up to 6.6lb DME to get up to 1.065 OG. Maybe this just reflects different assumptions b/w TastyBrew and BrewSmith re: sugar extraction from steeped grains, but would be interesting to know if extract brewers are able to hit 1.065 OG using the 6lbs DME.
I also brewed the partial mash version and came out with an OG of 1.058. I'm going to brew it again next week. I'm also wondering if I need a bit more than 6 lbs of DME.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #455
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
I actually ignored the IBU's for the beer (there is no "range" when you're cloning a beer) and this beer is focused on late hop additions.

However, I did use FWH on my software to predict the 0.75 oz addition; and I've used it as a reference for future beers. Having made 10-15 FWH beers now, I trust my software prediction for FWH IBU calculation and believe it to be real.

I'd encourage you to do the same with BeerSmith or whatever you use to get an understanding of the IBU from FWH.
AOD, when you say you use FWH on your software and trust its predictions, do you have the time set to 20min or 60min? Just wondering as I'm new to FWH. I know the IBU calcs with these programs are iffy at best, but it's nice to have something to go off of.

Funny that someone asked about the 14.1% Citra - I just got the same stuff and am also getting crazy IBU's from Beersmith. I figured I'd just let it ride and follow the recipe cuz it's sounds like a flavor blast to me. Plus the idea of more than a 1/2 pound of citra in 5 gallons is just ba***s.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #456
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

If you follow the original recipe it won't be overly bitter even with the bit higher AA%. You could dial the FWH back a bit, maybe.25 oz or so if you are concerned

Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #457
J-Pizzel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Been looking forward to brewing this for over a month and finally got my ingredients. In my haste today, I realized that I lost my yeast packet somewhere and was super late to work, forced to leave my wort in the kettle (covered). I know everything should work out once I get back with more yeast from my LHBS in the am, but still disappointed with myself. Oh well, ironing out the kinks is what this is all about!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #458
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathPowe View Post
AOD, when you say you use FWH on your software and trust its predictions, do you have the time set to 20min or 60min? Just wondering as I'm new to FWH. I know the IBU calcs with these programs are iffy at best, but it's nice to have something to go off of.
I trust the software calc for FWH entered as "FWH". The tastybrew.com calculator (free) has an option for FWH and it estimates the IBU contribution only from FWH. This is a neat feature.

For comparison sake, my software calc was within 1.5 IBU of the original recipe shown on this page. It is stated the original recipe used 20 mins boil as the estimate for FWH addition. Based on this, the FWH calculator at Tastybrew is roughly treating FWH IBU contribution as similar to 20 minute addition.

If you use 60 minutes in a software program to calculate FWH IBU it will WAY overpredict! Use 20 mins if you do not have a "FWH" option.

~Adam

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #459
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
I trust the software calc for FWH entered as "FWH". The tastybrew.com calculator (free) has an option for FWH and it estimates the IBU contribution only from FWH. This is a neat feature.

For comparison sake, my software calc was within 1.5 IBU of the original recipe shown on this page. It is stated the original recipe used 20 mins boil as the estimate for FWH addition. Based on this, the FWH calculator at Tastybrew is roughly treating FWH IBU contribution as similar to 20 minute addition.

If you use 60 minutes in a software program to calculate FWH IBU it will WAY overpredict! Use 20 mins if you do not have a "FWH" option.

~Adam
Nice - good to know. Thanks Adam. Vacuum sealed my pound and a half of citra last night. Man that hop smells good. Stoked to brew this.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #460
jordanfrenzy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Did this today as my 3rd BIAB attempt. I'm still struggling a bit with gravity readings and volumes relating to the BIAB process. I ended up with a little less than 5.5 gallons reading at 1.070. Topped off with some water to try and get close to target volume and 1.065. Ended up getting the volume close but used a little too much water and ended up at 1.062. I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my BIAB system as I came in a little low on this one and even bumped the 2 row up to 13#. Re hydrated two packets of S05 and pitched. Fermentation has not taken off yet but I will check it tomorrow.

Edit: Forgot to mention the hydro sample tasted great. Very bitter, though I think I had a ton of hop particles in it. Lately I've been too lazy to bag my hops up.

Quick Reply