Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #421
AOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
What do you guys think I could do?
Buy a half pound of Melanoidin and Aromatic. It's like...$4 - If you get a whole pound of each, you can add the other half to your next beer and see how you like it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #422
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
Buy a half pound of Melanoidin and Aromatic. It's like...$4 - If you get a whole pound of each, you can add the other half to your next beer and see how you like it.
I don't have a good local store, so I have to get everything mail order. It costs a lot in shipping because there isn't even a good mail order company in my country. One company exists, but it's not a good one. I have to order from Germany or Belgium. I'll order some the next time I do a big bulk order.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #423
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
I usually set the time to 20min for FWH since it is a "smoother bitterness", and people liken it to a 20 min addition.
Does your software estimate FWH?

I've been using TastyBrew.com recipe calculator for years on my recipes and it has a pretty good estimate for FWH. You can experiment with it by changing 60 min boil to FWH, etc.

But I have heard most folks say the 'perceived' bitterness from FWH is like a 20 minute hop addition. I find the target IBU important especially if planning FWH as the main bittering hop in a beer. I usually focus on this "60 minute hop" IBU to set the balance for the beer. 10-20 malty, 20-30 balance, 30-40 pale ale, slight bitter IPA, 40+ IBU, IPA's and highOG.

The Zombie Dust is focused on just enough "60 minute" bitterness to balance the rich malt (from specialty grains and yeast) in this beer. Cool part is you can get that with FWH and the bonus of '
'perceived smoothness' of FWH. Good stuff.

~Adam

Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #424
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default zombie dust next up

Putting together the recipe. Can I get a consensus on the mash time and temp.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #425
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 25

okay, I did a quick search of this thread and didn't find any hits so I apologize if this is redundant: Did you find you need a diacetyl rest with the 1968 for this? In looking at the Wyeast book they recommend one for 1968. I've never used a yeast that needed one, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than assume the answer.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #426
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Re: diacetyl in Wyeast 1968

If you pitch a healthy starter and keep your temps in check; it would be unlikely you need a diacetyl rest. To be safe, pull a sample on day 6 or so. If its buttery, run your ferm temp up to 70 and give it a few days. The nice thing about diacetyl is that it is easy to detect and clean up.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #427
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngaltsmotor View Post
okay, I did a quick search of this thread and didn't find any hits so I apologize if this is redundant: Did you find you need a diacetyl rest with the 1968 for this? In looking at the Wyeast book they recommend one for 1968. I've never used a yeast that needed one, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than assume the answer.
As a general practice I always raise the temp 2-3 degrees as fermentation slows down. Typically with 002/1968 I'll pitch around 62-63* and ferment at 66* (so within 24 hours its usually there) and as fermentation slows down (typically indicated by krausen dropping) I'll raise the temp 1 degree per day until I hit 68-69*.

That is essentially what Firestone Walker does with their house strain that is close to the Fullers strain (according to their head brewer). I've had good results with that so I've used that for most of the beers I brew with this strain (which is a lot). I have had diacetyl issues when I've rushed beer into kegs with this yeast, but not since I started doing the ramped up fermentation temp.

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #428
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Thanks Jammin & AnchorBock. I didn't see a problem with adding a diacetyl rest at the end so I'll add this to my technique as a belt and suspenders approach.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #429
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The D-rest doesn't hurt, but I've found if you maintain a constant temperature and give the yeast enough time in the beer, it will clean up.

I kegged a Black IPA (1.065) with WY1968 yesterday, it was 13 days in the fermenter at 64F. No diacetyl at all. (I used oxygen stone and nutrient, fwiw)

I think people may find diacetyl in the beer because they see how fast it ferments and pull the beer of the yeast too soon!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #430
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Putting together the recipe. Can I get a consensus on the mash time and temp.

Thanks,

Sheldon
I used 148-149F about 75 minutes for my beer and thought it was good. If you want slightly more body or a smidge of sweetness, go above 150F.

~Adam

Quick Reply