Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #391
TomTwanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And just an FYI. It literally stopped bubbling the minute after I shook up the carboy. Doesn't make much sense to me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #392
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 343 Times on 190 Posts

I would advise against shaking fermented beer unless you want oxidation. And let it go at least a week then check gravity.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #393
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You proabably shook all the CO2 out of solution by shaking it. Don't do that. Give it a day or two, it should bubble again.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #394
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
I would advise against shaking fermented beer unless you want oxidation. And let it go at least a week then check gravity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
You proabably shook all the CO2 out of solution by shaking it. Don't do that. Give it a day or two, it should bubble again.
How does oxygen get into a sealed fermenter because someone shook it, if it was that way then infection would be ramped without shaking it. The presser inside the ferm is higher than the outside, so air would not be able to get to the beer. Now with that said, this isn’t something I do on normal bases, but have had to do it to unstick a beer, to get the yeast off the bottom like a stir plate and a starter. Cheers
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless
FATC1TY Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #395
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
How does oxygen get into a sealed fermenter because someone shook it, if it was that way then infection would be ramped without shaking it. The presser inside the ferm is higher than the outside, so air would not be able to get to the beer. Now with that said, this isn’t something I do on normal bases, but have had to do it to unstick a beer, to get the yeast off the bottom like a stir plate and a starter. Cheers

Correct. While shaking it isn't advised, a gentle swirl is okay to rouse some yeast. I have to do this when I brew a porter with London ESB yeast. It flocs to quick and hard, I rouse it to finish the job and do a D rest.

When fermentation starts, pretty much ALL the O2 is pushed out, as it's lighter than Co2. Swirling it introduces little to no O2 as it's been all pushed out once active fermentation takes place. There could be a little residual in there, but more than likely not enough to matter.

A full on shake isn't advised though, but a little swirling action to get the cake moving is fine.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Gear101 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #396
TomTwanks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't literally shakers carboy, though I did swirl it pretty well.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #397
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Just pulled another pint from the keg. Tasting great, but a LOT like grapefruit or orange peel that had been soaked in an IPA. Not in a bad way, but its a good way to showcase the Citra hop. I like it, but as said before, i think Ill use the exact same grain bill with a mix of Citra and something else. I really like the grain bill. It turned out very clean and thanks again for a great recipe!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #398
amh61
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brewed this up yesterday with all my new gear I got over the holidays. I broke my hydrometer though and was not able to get a SG reading (and the LHBS was already closed).

Bucket #1: Zombie Dust Clone
Bucket #2: Empty
Bottled: Midwest Furious IPA Clone; American Amber Ale; Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale
Planning: Simcoe IPA
Killed: Citrillo Pale Ale; Irish Red

Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #399
droder1
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
Just pulled another pint from the keg. Tasting great, but a LOT like grapefruit or orange peel that had been soaked in an IPA. Not in a bad way, but its a good way to showcase the Citra hop. I like it, but as said before, i think Ill use the exact same grain bill with a mix of Citra and something else. I really like the grain bill. It turned out very clean and thanks again for a great recipe!
Agreed, I kegged mine on Saturday, and it is veeeery citrusey (obviously as one would expect with Citra), but I feel the same way as you. Delish but maybe could benefit from another hop thrown in there. I am curious to see how it mellows. I do wonder how long Three Floyds sits on it (if at all).

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #400
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

made last night at 1.062. Mashed at 156 and it finished 70 minutes later at 154. I pitched at 74 and it sits at 63 now. I used wlp002 and did 2 steps. It plugged my keggle so I siphoned. I'm planning to just dump the whole hops in the primary with the rest of the junk and boil a hop bag to siphon through. I hope there's some malty flavor in this cuzz I have too many hopped up brews right now.

Quick Reply