Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #381
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 241 Posts

I use the grain bill for a lot of IPAs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #382
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Bought the grains for this again today, makes a good summer time beer. Plus this year going to DLD in April.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #383
AOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbeerman View Post
Batch #125. 1.068 to 1.016 mashed at 150 with WLP002 and I used MO instead of 2-row.

Dry hopped in primary and again in secondary.

Never had the original but this is the best beer I've ever brewed.

Seriously.
You did it just right! Well done!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #384
h0psnobery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
^
So my keg just got carbed up and I pulled my first pint of this beer. Good, yes, but amazing no. It has nothing to do with the recipe, just my skill, or lack there of, in my new BIAB method. The hop smell and taste is great, bitterness is pretty much where I want it, but it lacks any sort of body and almost tastes watery.

I mashed this at 151. Actually about 150-152. I wanted it to finish a little drier, but it finished at 1.016. Is the mash temp the reason for the lack of body? I cant figure out why else that would be the case. Any help here??
Low mash temps will result in drier beers, but will also produce a thinner body.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html

Maybe try a thinner mash (>2 quarts water per pound of grain) if you still want a drier beer.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-6.html

Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #385
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Well, tasted it again, and this time, for some reason, it seemed to have a little more body. Still on the light side, but drank a lot better than the first one. Great beer. The Citra hops a very unique. Very different than the super piney, resiny hops. Its (as its name states) VERY citrusy. Not in a bad way though. I get the grapefruit thing. Lots of it. I think next time Ill try and blend in a little Cascade or Amarillo to give a citrus heavy IPA. Great recipe! Im very happy with it so far
Not trying to be a Richard here, but what is your experience level in judging beer?

Lots of things can have an affect on body/mouthfeel. Carbonation (biggest affect), bitterness, residual sugars, etc.

At 1.016 it should be medium body IMO, but the bitterness is going to shock your tongue before you find those sweet (body-enhancing) residual sugars. It's all about how your tongue works.

Cheers,
~Adam

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #386
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
Not trying to be a Richard here, but what is your experience level in judging beer?

Lots of things can have an affect on body/mouthfeel. Carbonation (biggest affect), bitterness, residual sugars, etc.

At 1.016 it should be medium body IMO, but the bitterness is going to shock your tongue before you find those sweet (body-enhancing) residual sugars. It's all about how your tongue works.

Cheers,
~Adam
Im not thinking your being a D!ck, but I understand where you are coming from. Im mean, Im not a "judge" by any means, but I have drank a LOT of different types of beers, especially IPA's, Doubles and Imperials, but not a lot of homebrewed IPA. Like I said, the beer is great right now, and very drinkable. First taste was as if someone had put a few ounces of water in with a solid IPA. It tasted watered down, with a thinner body and had a very light mouthfeel like a Coors Light. I tasted it again, and that was almost gone, but it still tasted "thin".

Also, as I said, its not a result of this recipe. I know its me, and my equipment and technique. Its all a learning process. Its definitely a great beer, and drinking fine. Its also my first IPA that I have ever made. I have made Pales, never an IPA. Im thinking this is an IPA right??

Juse gives me something to improve on in my next batch! Assuming I can find more Citra haha.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #387
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I need a sanity check on the AG recipe:
I'm going to do BIAB, so after I sparge or whatever, I should do my First Wort Hop, then when my boil starts, do normal hopping again at 15, 10, 5, 1?

Also a question about the extract/partial:
Why does the extract/partial have a First Wort Hop and a 60 minute hop? Because of the volume difference?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #388
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I made this today, came out at a 17 brix on 6 gallons. Lucky to have 8.5 oz of citra out of a open pound.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #389
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Im not thinking your being a D!ck, but I understand where you are coming from. Im mean, Im not a "judge" by any means, but I have drank a LOT of different types of beers, especially IPA's, Doubles and Imperials, but not a lot of homebrewed IPA. Like I said, the beer is great right now, and very drinkable. First taste was as if someone had put a few ounces of water in with a solid IPA. It tasted watered down, with a thinner body and had a very light mouthfeel like a Coors Light. I tasted it again, and that was almost gone, but it still tasted "thin".

Also, as I said, its not a result of this recipe. I know its me, and my equipment and technique. Its all a learning process. Its definitely a great beer, and drinking fine. Its also my first IPA that I have ever made. I have made Pales, never an IPA. Im thinking this is an IPA right??

Juse gives me something to improve on in my next batch! Assuming I can find more Citra haha.

It's classified as a Pale for the real things, but I think from having the real deal, that it's closer to an IPA than a Pale.. kind of inbetween. So you are pretty much on the right track with your way of thinking.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #390
TomTwanks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question guys -

Two days in my blow off was bubbling hard and consistent. I took off the blow off tube, shook up the carboy real nice, and put a airlock on. It stopped bubbling and hasn't start back up in over 12 hours. I used the wyeast 1968 if that makes a difference. Any advice on what I should do for this?

Quick Reply