Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #281
Deekay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
I usually do a 6 gallon post boil on this to account for trub loss and the loss to the dry hop and end with about 5g into the keg. The 1oz FWH will be fine, it will be your bittering. If doing a full boil, you dont need the 60min addition (you leave the FWH in for the whole boil). 7 days is fine for dryhop. I have actually been doing 2 dryhop additions lately in IPAs, splitting them in half, then going about 3-5 days per addition.

For your boil volume, there is a settingin beersmith for boil off rate. If this is your first brew, you probably don't know it. Make sure you keep record of your pre-boil and post boil so you can add this for future reference. My boil off rate is around 1.5g/hr, so if I am shooting for 5.5g, I usually start with 7g or so. That is outdoors on a turkey fryer. If you are on the stove, it will be lower.
Awesome that makes perfect sense!!! I'm definitely ready to rock and roll...

Thanks Skeezer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #282
Floydsview
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am by no means a BeerSmith expert but the 5.7 gallon is a post boil volume. There is a cooling loss and a trub loss. This will get you to the 5 gallon range. The boil off rate is default at about 25% an hour. This will put you at about 7.6 gallons preboil.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #283
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just poured my first beer from this keg and this is my third time with this maltbill. Twice with citra and once with citra plus some friends. Ive used 3 yeasts, s-04, WLP002 and Dennys Favorite. This batch is all citra and Dennys Favorite and by far my favorite. I would HIGHLY recommend using Dennys Fav for this recipe, IMO it is even closer to 3Floyds than S04 and WLP002...and Ive drank cases of the real mccoy.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #284
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Took a sample today and FG is hit and the taste is a whole lotta grapefruit. Can't wait to get this in secondary and dry hop.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #285
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I racked it to secondary a few days ago, but I just put in the dry hops today. I had to time it so that in 10 days I would have time to bottle. I'm itchin' to get this bad boy bottled and carbed so I can start drinking it. The wonderful aroma is KILLING me!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #286
lemmiwinks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Took a bit of a hiatus this summer from brewing as we're getting ready to welcome a new assistant brewer to the family in a few weeks but I've had too many requests for this from friends and familty. Scored a lb of Citra from my LHBS for $30 (still pricey imo, but if I want it looks like I gotta pay) and had most of the grain on hand so brewed up a new batch on Saturday.
It's happily bubbling away in my fermenter.

Off topic - ordered a pound of Chinook from Farmhouse over the weekend so I'm planning on doing a single hop IPA with that too. Will post in a new thread on the results.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #287
nullvalue
Recipes 

Just brewed the extract/PM version of this past weekend. Don't mean to brag but pretty much nailed the OG with a reading 1.064. I did the 1 hour steep and kept the temp between 150-155 as close as possible. Fermenting away now in my basement and smelling awesome. I used a regular packet of the S04, I can't bring myself spend the extra money on those starter packs and never had a problem with pitching dry yeast.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #288
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bottled this up yesterday and of course tasted a sample. Wowzers, the whole kitchen smelled like I was cutting into a grapefruit. The bitterness was just where I wanted it with lots of grapefruit flavor. I will definitely be brewing this one again! I almost grabbed a bottle and drank it flat and warm it was so good. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #289
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Got this boiling away as we speak, although this go around I'm doing an even split of southern cross and citra.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #290
AllHopAbandon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Question about the FWH addition: if I plug this recipe into Beersmith I seem to end up with a whopping 92.5 IBU, and my FWH contributes 41.8 to the total. I come closer to 65 IBU if I treat the FWH addition as a 20 minute addition, as mentioned somewhere in this thread. Is the difference between calculated bitterness and perceived bitterness from FWH really this huge? Or is Beersmith wrong?

Since there's been no complaints about bitterness in this thread, I assume I can safely brew this without ending up with something completely unbalanced, I'm just a bit confused about the IBU difference and I need some reassurance I plan on brewing this tomorrow.

Quick Reply