Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #101
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Skeez, I'm sitting at 1.022 from 1.063 after 7 days. Thinking about pitching another pack of S04? Should've started with two I guess.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #102
wojjow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Just brewed an extract batch last night, using the 1968. Blow off tube is already nice and full and she's steadily bubbling away. The smell coming through the water is amazing, I almost took a sip its that enticing! I simply can not wait for this beer to be ready! Have a feeling this one is going to be constantly brewed! Cheers

Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #103
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks

I was under the impression you couldnt make starters with dry yeast? Maybe it's because it's cheap just to buy two packs?
You definitely could make starter with dry. The reason it would be better to use liquid, is because it isn't stressed like they say dry is due to the actual process of drying, which may lead to off flavors. In fact, without making a starter, i have personally had better attenuation with dry.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #104
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks
Skeez, I'm sitting at 1.022 from 1.063 after 7 days. Thinking about pitching another pack of S04? Should've started with two I guess.
I would try to just rouse the yeast a little before adding more. Gently swirl the fermenter, or use a racking can to gently stir some yeast back into suspension.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #105
sparky701
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this up yesterday with 50/50 2 row, MO. Hit 1.066 so I was happy. Got temp down to 68 threw in 1500 ml of wlp001 as I know I won't have my house cold enough to keep it in 60s range. Its bubbling away nicely now. Can't wait to drink this again last keg was gone in no time.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #106
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer

I would try to just rouse the yeast a little before adding more. Gently swirl the fermenter, or use a racking can to gently stir some yeast back into suspension.
Thanks Skeez, exactly what I ended up doing. Got a blurp every 30 seconds or so, see what happens.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #107
epateddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hi all.

Just kegged my try at this 3 days ago, so it's still young. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like but here are my notes..

During fermentation, the smell coming from the blow off was a thing of beauty - like many others have mentioned. Took a taste after 10 days in Primary and what I wrote down was "stinky shoes" - a bit like what my sneakers smell like after a run. Not very pleasing. Tasted again at kegging (after 10 days dry hopping in secondary) and noted a 'stale' aroma, and a really strong grapefruit-like finish.

This is my first go with Citra - is this what it's supposed to taste like? Again, still young. So maybe it will mellow out after a few weeks in the keg. But so far, I give it a "good" - but not the "great" I was hoping for.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #108
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, I'm done at 1.022, pretty disappointed. Guess mashing around 154 is too high for this beer, with my setup anyway. Or maybe fermenting at the top end for a day killed it. Don't need to rack yet and haven't yet dryhopped. Should I pitch more S04? I have a pack of champagne yeast? It's good, just a bit heavy.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #109
wojjow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

8 days in around 66* and I seem to be stuck at 1.031 on my extract version. Was late the night I made it and looks like I forgot to take my OG sample so no clue what I started out at. Read an earlier post and I'll try gently swirling to active the yeast again. If that doesn't work what are my options before I dry hop in 2 days?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #110
Jamison
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epateddy
Hi all.

Just kegged my try at this 3 days ago, so it's still young. I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like but here are my notes..

During fermentation, the smell coming from the blow off was a thing of beauty - like many others have mentioned. Took a taste after 10 days in Primary and what I wrote down was "stinky shoes" - a bit like what my sneakers smell like after a run. Not very pleasing. Tasted again at kegging (after 10 days dry hopping in secondary) and noted a 'stale' aroma, and a really strong grapefruit-like finish.

This is my first go with Citra - is this what it's supposed to taste like? Again, still young. So maybe it will mellow out after a few weeks in the keg. But so far, I give it a "good" - but not the "great" I was hoping for.

Any thoughts?
I get a cat urine smell when it's young. That fades after a little time. I've brewed this twice now and would say it gets much better with a little age. I bottle and after a month and a couple weeks in the fridge, I'm getting mango.

Quick Reply