Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #91
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer
since you are doing 5g instead of 6, you could reduce the C60 and aromatic from 8oz to 6.66 oz, that may lighten it up. The recipe I have posted is almost perfect on color.

Are you in Lebanon the country?
6.66, nice! I'm a metal fan myself. In Lebanon PA, gotta update my profile I guess. My bad on color, thought there was a pix on here where a side by side showed yours alot darker. I'm calling this an IPA, hate when breweries label their beers so far outta style. I did a Zthos IPA also, got me second place at a comp in PA a couple weeks ago. It's on my Hopville page, The Kraken.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #92
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 215 Posts

Metal fan here as well. I have a brother that lives in Harrisburg, which isnt too far from there (as of a few weeks ago, I know he still had a decent amount of Zombie Dust that he got at Dark lord Day...he may trade you for something. PM me if interested and I can get you in touch with him)

As far as the pictures, there may be more head to head pics in the other long thread. This is definitely an IPA, but not on the "Three Floyds IPA" level, so I guess they think it is an APA.

Nice job on the Zythos. I did an all Zythos IPA awhile back also, I like the hop blend. I also did a Falconer's 7Cs that came out pretty good.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #93
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Metal fan here as well. I have a brother that lives in Harrisburg, which isnt too far from there (as of a few weeks ago, I know he still had a decent amount of Zombie Dust that he got at Dark lord Day...he may trade you for something. PM me if interested and I can get you in touch with him)

As far as the pictures, there may be more head to head pics in the other long thread. This is definitely an IPA, but not on the "Three Floyds IPA" level, so I guess they think it is an APA.

Nice job on the Zythos. I did an all Zythos IPA awhile back also, I like the hop blend. I also did a Falconer's 7Cs that came out pretty good.

I rarely get to Harrisburg and dont really have anything trade worthy, maybe a Troegs meeting? My Zythos was good but i didnt love it, judges and I agree it tasted like a fruit salad. I think the Zythos would work better with a summery wheat beer, maybe alter a Gumballhead recipe. Havent used any of the Falconers flight stuff, may try to find some.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #94
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Fermenting away. Im gonna be pushing the high end of the S-04 temp, will this be a problem? I'll be doing swamp coolers in the summer from now on I guess.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #95
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My first batch I did in a swamp cooler around 70 and it came out fine. I have since built a fermentation chamber, so usually ferment in the low 60s.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #96
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool. I kicked a keg so I was able to get it down to 66 in the fridge, outside in the garage now bubbling away. I guess I'll have to live with only three beers on tap so I have the room for a carboy.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #97
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 to low 60's on the S-04 this yeast freakin chugs away and consistently flocs within 48 hours for me so it's very important in my expieriences to pitch adequately and keep it low. I've had good luck with 62-66.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #98
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawdy10 View Post
+1 to low 60's on the S-04 this yeast freakin chugs away and consistently flocs within 48 hours for me so it's very important in my expieriences to pitch adequately and keep it low. I've had good luck with 62-66.
Yep, I brewed this again 3 days ago. Pitched a 1500ml starter of S-04, fermenting around 62, and the airlock action is already very slow (I know), and the krausen is almost completely fallen out. I don't ever bother checking the gravity for 10 days or so, but it definitely started fast and has been chugging along.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #99
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer

Yep, I brewed this again 3 days ago. Pitched a 1500ml starter of S-04, fermenting around 62, and the airlock action is already very slow (I know), and the krausen is almost completely fallen out. I don't ever bother checking the gravity for 10 days or so, but it definitely started fast and has been chugging along.
I was under the impression you couldnt make starters with dry yeast? Maybe it's because it's cheap just to buy two packs?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #100
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I did a starter because I was using washed S-04.

Quick Reply