Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #591
BadDeacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hattiesburg
Posts: 234
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Brewing this today using the BYO recipe. Since I don't have scales, I'm rounding up the poundage.

15# 2-row
1# crystal 15

Hop schedule the same.

__________________
BadDeacon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #592
MTate37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 731
Liked 92 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Brewed this on Saturday. Numbers were spot on, but the trub didn't settle as much as expected so a lot went into my bucket. This is easily the most active fermententation I've had. A consistent bubble started within four hours of pitching, and by Sunday night had started blowing off and is still blowing off this morning. I changed out airlocks yesterday and the beer smells fantastic.

__________________

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

MTate37 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #593
Fordzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 410
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
This is easily the most active fermententation I've had.
It's funny you say that because I brewed this and it was the least active fermentation I've ever had. I didn't see my blowoff bubble once and high krausen lasted for over a week.
__________________

Next Up -
Primary - Wild Yeast Hard Cider, Bourbon Oak RIS
Secondary - Mead, US-05 Hard Cider
Bottles -
Kegs - Christmas Ale, Zombie Dust Clone, Hopped Up Amber Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Centennial Bomb IPA

My Single Tier Brew Stand Build
My Keezer

Fordzilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #594
MTate37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 731
Liked 92 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
It's funny you say that because I brewed this and it was the least active fermentation I've ever had. I didn't see my blowoff bubble once and high krausen lasted for over a week.
I am kind of pushing the limits of my 6.5 G bucket with a little under 6 G, but the flow through the blowoff has been pretty non-stop for since Sunday. I was expecting that it would have slowed a little by now.

My LHBS was out of Wyeast American Ale so I'm trying American Ale II. I made a 1.5 liter starter with two packets, per yeastcalc.com.
__________________

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

MTate37 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #595
Jason82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 1

Default


I brewed this from the BYO recipe in early september. The final product was not exactly what I was hoping for. Some very off flavors, astringency/bitterness.
Here are some details about the brew and what I think might have gone wrong.
We had an OG of 1.054 (a bit low) and a FG of 1.013. I allowed 2 weeks in primary, and 1 week in secondary. Dry hopping was done in secondary, in a cheesecloth bag (we jammed the bag through the top of a 5 gal better bottle, I strongly recommend against this, as it didn't really want to squeeze through, in hindsight a much larger bag would probably take care of this). Beer was then kegged and force carbed for 1 week. Here are some theories about why this didn't turn out so well. Any feedback appreciated.

1. Lots of trub in primary fermenter. We weren't able to chill the beer rapidly (using a copper chiller, but water supply was not so cold, as it was a hot day). I'm guessing we didn't really separate out the "cold break". Im very new so I could be using the wrong terms or be mistaken about this. Beer sat on a thick layer of sediment for 2 weeks. This is my best guess for the cause of the problem.

2. Sparge temp. I think we intended to heat the sparge water to 175, but it got up to 185 as we didn't monitor it closely enough. We tried to let it cool for a bit but we didn't really let it drop too much. Still I checked the temp in the mash tun during sparging, and it didn't seem to rise above 165. Wondering if too hot of sparge water might account for the astringency. We only heated sparge to 170 on our next batch.

3. Quality of hops in dry hopping. We had whole leaf hops purchased from a local home-brew store. Im not sure exactly what they are supposed to look like, but they could've stood to be a bit greener I think.

Attached Images


__________________
Jason82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #596
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 736
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason82
I brewed this from the BYO recipe in early september. The final product was not exactly what I was hoping for. Some very off flavors, astringency/bitterness. Here are some details about the brew and what I think might have gone wrong. We had an OG of 1.054 (a bit low) and a FG of 1.013. I allowed 2 weeks in primary, and 1 week in secondary. Dry hopping was done in secondary, in a cheesecloth bag (we jammed the bag through the top of a 5 gal better bottle, I strongly recommend against this, as it didn't really want to squeeze through, in hindsight a much larger bag would probably take care of this). Beer was then kegged and force carbed for 1 week. Here are some theories about why this didn't turn out so well. Any feedback appreciated. 1. Lots of trub in primary fermenter. We weren't able to chill the beer rapidly (using a copper chiller, but water supply was not so cold, as it was a hot day). I'm guessing we didn't really separate out the "cold break". Im very new so I could be using the wrong terms or be mistaken about this. Beer sat on a thick layer of sediment for 2 weeks. This is my best guess for the cause of the problem. 2. Sparge temp. I think we intended to heat the sparge water to 175, but it got up to 185 as we didn't monitor it closely enough. We tried to let it cool for a bit but we didn't really let it drop too much. Still I checked the temp in the mash tun during sparging, and it didn't seem to rise above 165. Wondering if too hot of sparge water might account for the astringency. We only heated sparge to 170 on our next batch. 3. Quality of hops in dry hopping. We had whole leaf hops purchased from a local home-brew store. Im not sure exactly what they are supposed to look like, but they could've stood to be a bit greener I think.
Stone Ruination is an Imperial IPA. That means 1.075 starting gravity or better. You had 1.054, which is not even where an IPA would be, but more like a Pale Ale.

The amount of hops in an IIPA is so high, it is only supported by a LOT of alcohol from having a high starting gravity. Otherwise, it just tastes bitterly astringent without hop flavor. This is especially true for a light colored beer, which Ruination is.

Forget the trub, some just pour the whole thing in the fermentor with great results. Also, if your mash temp didn't get over 170, it wouldn't be the problem (I mash out with 204 degree water in a batch sparge to get the grain up to 165-168. After that I used 170 degree water.)

Boiling with some grain particles in there from the runoff can cause astringency (you did vorlauf, right?).

Without tasting it, I couldn't say for sure, but my bet is on the original gravity being low, upsetting the hop balance way too much.
__________________

Try my 1st Place Wedding Pale Ale!

RichBenn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #597
Jason82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Likes Given: 1

Default


Thanks thats helpful, as I hadn't thought of that explanation. I suspected we missed OG due to a flawed sparge process. Also we didn't vorlauf but did on our next batch. Things to improve if I give this recipe a second go.

__________________
Jason82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #598
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 736
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason82
Thanks thats helpful, as I hadn't thought of that explanation. I suspected we missed OG due to a flawed sparge process. Also we didn't vorlauf but did on our next batch. Things to improve if I give this recipe a second go.
Sorry to be so late on checking this, but I feel you may want to be aware of several factors on efficiency. To much to go into here, but water chemistry and grind of grain have huge effects, depending upon your beer style, water, and/or mash technique. Spend some time in the beer science and all grain section. Your taste buds will thank you for it.
__________________

Try my 1st Place Wedding Pale Ale!

RichBenn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #599
jmb7504
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Default


I brewed this yesterday and had an O.G. reading of 1.022.. =((( Granted this is my 4th AG batch i still got some kinks to fix. will my batch be okay? just lower alcohol content?

__________________
jmb7504 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #600
kombat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,317
Liked 545 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Default


No, it sounds like you did something horribly wrong. Did you remember to mill the grain? What was your grain-to-water ratio during mashing? What temperature did you mash at? What were your volumes at each step (mash, sparge, top-up, post boil)?

You will have a very weak fermentation, if there is even any sugar in there at all. You will have very low alcohol and it will not taste at all like the recipe intended. Let's figure out where you went wrong.

__________________
kombat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Ruination Ale Blender Commercial Brew Discussion 19 06-28-2010 10:09 PM
Stone Ruination IPA BarleyWater Commercial Brew Discussion 2 12-29-2009 10:56 PM
Stone Ruination Clone w/ starter question forces Extract Brewing 15 12-16-2009 09:33 PM
Bottle Conditioning a Stone Ruination Clone Glavin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-27-2009 09:39 PM
First AG - Stone Ruination IPA Clone seigex All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 25 08-16-2009 11:15 AM