Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #581
TheWhiteGandhi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just made this but had an original gravity of 1.034...yea really off. This is my first all grain attempt which had lots of hiccups along the way but I dont know what would have cause such a difference in OG. Any idea what could be causing this? Perhaps my lautering schedule wasnt right? I mashed for just over an hour and the first iodine test showed that there was good conversion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #582
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can you post your recipe along with mash, sparge, and boil volumes and times?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #583
TheWhiteGandhi
Recipes 

I followed the original recipe as close as possible. My mash temp set around 148-150, lower then I anticipated and I tried adding some more hot water, might have added to much. After an hour in had converted so I began run off till clear and added more hot water once most had drained. And I boiled for about an 1 hour, with 6.5 gallons.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #584
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

This is going to sound stupid but, you milled the grains, right? I only ask because believe it or not, I've seen cases where the person hadn't actually milled the grain and they were trying to mash with unmilled malt.

Assuming you milled the grain properly, the usual culprits are mash temperature (sounds like yours was good), mash technique (thoroughly stirred, all dough-balls broken up), sparging, or even a simple misreading of the hydrometer. Maybe the sample you took was from a thinner portion of the wort as the heavier sugars settled to the bottom or something.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #585
TheWhiteGandhi
Recipes 

I milled the grains at the homebrew store...I have a feeling it might be stirring, or maybe sparging. My set mash temp was about 148, a little lower then 152. Thank you for the info though that was really helpful, Im going to double check the hydrometer reading right now!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #586
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteGandhi View Post
I followed the original recipe as close as possible. My mash temp set around 148-150, lower then I anticipated and I tried adding some more hot water, might have added to much. After an hour in had converted so I began run off till clear and added more hot water once most had drained. And I boiled for about an 1 hour, with 6.5 gallons.
The extra water definitely could be part of it, depending on how much more you added. If you read the recipe out of BYO, which was allegedly provided/confirmed by Stone, it calls for a 90 min boil, which would have reduced the volume, hence raised your SG. Still, you are far off the expected. What was you final volume of wert? Do you have your mash and sparge volumes handy? Or maybe this was a no sparge effort?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #587
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Just in case there's any doubt, this is an amazing recipe. This beer immediately became my favorite brew. I'm torn between drinking it myself because it's so delicious, and trying to make it last as long as possible so I can share it with my fellow beer snobs and have them marvel at how good it is.

I'm already working this recipe into my schedule to make it a regular on one of my taps. It really is fantastic.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #588
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First pint out of the keg. Well, second actually. First one had some crap in it from the gelatin...

forumrunner_20130829_183820.jpg  

Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #589
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is this recipe set up for 5 gallons into fermenter or 5 gallons packaged?

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #590
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I usually end up with just under 6 in the fermenter, 5.5 to secondary, and just a touch over 5 in the keg...

Quick Reply