Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #511
jonnyp1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
jonnyp1980 I'm pretty sure my low OG is more related to relatively poor efficiency with the AG BIAB method. Also, the recipe in BYO (which came from Stone themselves) called for Magnum as the 60 minute bittering addition. Just throwin that out there. Brew on!

double posted please detete

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #512
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
jonnyp1980 I'm pretty sure my low OG is more related to relatively poor efficiency with the AG BIAB method. Also, the recipe in BYO (which came from Stone themselves) called for Magnum as the 60 minute bittering addition. Just throwin that out there. Brew on!
Oh right on.. didnt know it was a BIAB..i guess i'll try the original recipe and see what happens unless some more peeps chime in and say the extract came in low..really like to hit that 7.7 ish range..thanks for letting me know

Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #513
opiate82
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 20

So I planned out a brew-day last minute and used this recipe as kind of a guideline. I had been having low-efficiency issues so I expected to undershoot my SG. I didn't have time to do a starter, but because I was expecting a lower SG I wasn't too worried about pitching directly into the wort.

Well low-and-behold I apparently fixed my efficiency issues and actually overshot the recipes SG (came out at 1.081). While I'm glad I got the kinks worked out of my AG system, I am worried about not using a starter on this brew. I used a 1056 smack-pack. I did break the nutrients and let is sit for about 4 hours before pitching. I started seeing a lot of airlock activity within 8 hours of pitching.

What effect do you think not using a starter is going to have on my brew?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #514
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
So I planned out a brew-day last minute and used this recipe as kind of a guideline. I had been having low-efficiency issues so I expected to undershoot my SG. I didn't have time to do a starter, but because I was expecting a lower SG I wasn't too worried about pitching directly into the wort.

Well low-and-behold I apparently fixed my efficiency issues and actually overshot the recipes SG (came out at 1.081). While I'm glad I got the kinks worked out of my AG system, I am worried about not using a starter on this brew. I used a 1056 smack-pack. I did break the nutrients and let is sit for about 4 hours before pitching. I started seeing a lot of airlock activity within 8 hours of pitching.

What effect do you think not using a starter is going to have on my brew?
IMO I think you will be fine. Congrats on your numbers.
Did you by chance boil it down a little more to get this? I am hoping to brew this in the next few weeks if my order will ever get here. I ordered my grain 11 days ago. My best is 1.076 but don't have exact volume numbers in those notes. My ones with good notes are 1.070 and 72 even with using 17lb of grain. On those two I added a pound of Carafa III (which might be 1/2 lb too much). It made a great Black IIPA though.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #515
smonteton
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 102

brerwing this right now and my ibus dont match his im using beersmith and it says my beer will have 42 ibu im following his schedule idk any ideas what i might be doing wrong on beer smith???? any reply would be great

Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #516
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not familiar with beersmith, but what is your boil volume to top-off water volume?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #517
opiate82
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyVp View Post
IMO I think you will be fine. Congrats on your numbers.

Did you by chance boil it down a little more to get this?
I did boil down a little bit. I did a single batch-sparge and guestimated on the volume. I was trying to get 6.5 gallons in the pot pre-boil but ended up with around 7.5. Even then I had some wort left behind in the mash-tun but I was out of room in the pot. I boiled down to 6.5 gallons before doing any of my hop additions.

Now that I got my grain crush and mashing methods down, my next step is getting better at calculating my sparging water volumes.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #518
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I mashed a little too high due to a faulty thermometer, but Day 10 hydro check showed pretty decent attenuation down to 1.015. Tasty as well! Looking forward to dryhopping stage this weekend.

So many recipes...

Fermenter: Dales Pale Ale, Scotch Ale
Bottles: ESB, Bee Cave Bavarian Hef, Nick Danger Porter, Yoop's Hoppy Amber

Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #519
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts

I brewed this up last weekend because I have loads of centennial. I used Columbus instead of magnum and mashed at 149 since I was using wlp002. The brew closet smells amazing and I can't wait to see how this comes out.

I also switched the hop schedule a bit and added a hop stand @180 for 30min

Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #520
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'm pretty late to this thread and I dont think I can read thru all 50+ pages...are people still brewing this with the original recipe?

Secondary: Amarillo Pale Ale, Belgian Wit w/blackberries
Up Next: Oktoberfast, Winter Warmer
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Quick Reply