Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #461
4traindays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies. Is there anyway that I could end up with a gravity of 1.060 if I indeed used 8 lbs Dme and 1 lb crystal 40 which I steeped for 35-40 mins? Maybe I just didn't mix my wort well enough before I measured like previously stated. I couldn't believe my hydrometers reading when it stayed at 1.060!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #462
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just got my stuff to make the BYO version. I got a question though. The AG version calls for a 90 min boil. The extract for a 60. Why??? ESP considering the hops.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #463
thejuanald
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So I had a question about the original recipe posted. For extract, is the late DME addition for a partial boil only? I did a full boil (6 gallons of water), steeped the crystal malt for 30 minutes and added all 8lbs of DME at boil. After racking to the secondary, it tasted a lot sweeter than I was expecting. Is this because I added all the DME at once or will it even out over time? Thanks.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #464
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As a newbie I'll try to answer, I think the reason for the late edition is to help keep the color lighter. Extract brews tend to be darker the AG.

The sweetness will go away as the yeasties chew on the sugars.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #465
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuanald
So I had a question about the original recipe posted. For extract, is the late DME addition for a partial boil only? I did a full boil (6 gallons of water), steeped the crystal malt for 30 minutes and added all 8lbs of DME at boil. After racking to the secondary, it tasted a lot sweeter than I was expecting. Is this because I added all the DME at once or will it even out over time? Thanks.
I did the same thing as you when I made this. Ifull boil all extract added in the beginning. I was disappointed with the bitterness level. It wasn't very bitter at all. Ive heard you will get better hop utilization with splitting the extract.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #466
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A full boil with all the extract added at the beginning should still result in over 100 IBUs. Orangemen5, what was your FG, and what yeast did you use?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #467
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireSix
A full boil with all the extract added at the beginning should still result in over 100 IBUs. Orangemen5, what was your FG, and what yeast did you use?
I wasn't aware of this. My OG 1.074 FG 1.018. 1 pack of rehydrated us-05. I'm in the process of getting my water analyzed to eliminated that aspect. It's still a very good beer just not bitter As i would like. But I've never had a beer that was to bitter for my liking.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #468
stricklandia
Recipes 

Based on the 16+ pages of this thread that I read, this seems like a great recipe, and I plan to try it this weekend.

Question: the BYO Stone recipe lists the dry-hop addition as 22 oz. of whole hops, but the recipe on this thread lists 2 oz. Is the BYO Stone amount a typo? That's like 10 times the amount of hops difference between the two....

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #469
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
Based on the 16+ pages of this thread that I read, this seems like a great recipe, and I plan to try it this weekend.

Question: the BYO Stone recipe lists the dry-hop addition as 22 oz. of whole hops, but the recipe on this thread lists 2 oz. Is the BYO Stone amount a typo? That's like 10 times the amount of hops difference between the two....
Has to be a typo. Even if it weren't, I'm not wasting tens of dollars on an overkill dryhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #470
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Tried again tonight after almost 4weeks aging. Really good! Although, I'm not quite sure if its as hoppy as ruination, but I think it's awesome beer regardless!

Quick Reply