Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #451
j2bink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4traindays View Post
Planning on brewing this tomorrow, doing a partial boil 3.5 gallons. I'll be following the same hop schedule, and will be using 8 lbs of Dme and the one lb of crystal 20. what should I be looking for as far as og, fg, and ibus? Can't wait for the final product! Thanks for the replies.
Don't use 1lb of crystal. .5 lb at most of Crystal 15. 1.071 og and minimal of 1.012 fg. Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #452
thejuanald
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just finished my first brew ever today. Used this recipe (did 8lbs light DME with 1lb Crystal in steep). It came out much darker than I thought it would. Does it lighten up as it ferments or did I do something wrong? I got an OG of 1.075 so thats pretty good news so far for my first brew. I hope my starter worked well. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #453
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread!

Next Up -
Primary - Wild Yeast Hard Cider, Bourbon Oak RIS
Secondary - Mead, US-05 Hard Cider
Bottles -
Kegs - Christmas Ale, Zombie Dust Clone, Hopped Up Amber Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Centennial Bomb IPA

My Single Tier Brew Stand Build
My Keezer

Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #454
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm looking at making a Ruination clone as my fourth batch, which will be my first time not using a kit.

Originally I was going to use the recipe direct from Stone in the BYO article: http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/ . However, putting this into various recipe calculators (and my own math) show an OG of only 1.069 (63 p/p/g from the light DME, another 5.8 p/p/g from the steeped grains at 40% efficiency) while Stone claims an OG of 1.072.

Now, I'm trying to figure out where the 3 p/p/g difference is at. Stone says to steep the grains at 149 degrees F for 45 mins... does the 45 min steep yield a higher efficiency? If so, would it be enough to raise the steeping efficiency to 65% (what I calculate would be needed to achieve an OG of 1.072)?

Also, this is the first place that I've read (from Yooper) that splitting the extract additions increases hop utilization (I guess it really reduces loss). How effective is this? Meaning, does splitting the extract additions to match the ratio of boil water to top off water yield a hop utilization anywhere close to that of doing a full boil?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #455
4traindays
Recipes 

Brewed yesterday, used 8 lbs Dme, got an of of 1.060. Wondering why is lower than expected?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #456
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4traindays
Brewed yesterday, used 8 lbs Dme, got an of of 1.060. Wondering why is lower than expected?
How much wort did you end up with?? More than 5 gallons?

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #457
4traindays
Recipes 

I do partial boils, then top off. Boiled 3.5 gallons then topped off to 5 in my primary. The recipe I used called for a 2.5 gallon boil, would my boiling 3.5 be the cause of the OG being lower than stated in the recipe? If so what adjustments should I make to the recipe to compensate for a lower og? I try to boil as much water as possible for the hop utilization, but if this reduces expected gravity, should I only boil 2.5? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #458
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

8 lbs of DME at 45 p/p/g, for 5 gallons = 1.072 OG. Boil size won't impact OG. Did you steep 1lb of Crystal 20L also? That could add another 4.5 points of gravity.

Without the crystal malt factored in, the only way an OG of 1.060 makes sense is if you finished with 6 gallons of wort, or used LME and finished with 5 gallons.

I'm not saying you did either of those, just that's how it mathematically equates to 1.060.

How well did you mix the top off water into the boiled wort?

Oh, and you are correct to boil as much as you can for hop utilization.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #459
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would bet that your beer needs to blend. Water and wort are two different densities and may not have mixed well. If you are sure you topped off to 5 Gallons and not more, it is probably higher than your reading.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #460
thejuanald
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4traindays View Post
I do partial boils, then top off. Boiled 3.5 gallons then topped off to 5 in my primary. The recipe I used called for a 2.5 gallon boil, would my boiling 3.5 be the cause of the OG being lower than stated in the recipe? If so what adjustments should I make to the recipe to compensate for a lower og? I try to boil as much water as possible for the hop utilization, but if this reduces expected gravity, should I only boil 2.5? Thanks.
Hmm, I did my first brew with this recipe and I got 1.075 (1.074 then correcting for the temperature of 70F up to 1.075). I did do a full boil, however (6 gallons boiled down to ~5 gallons with 8lbs of light DME and 1lb of Crystal Malt steeped).

And as to my previous question about the beer being darker than I expected, it lightened up after the first day or so. Also, I got a ton of fermentation for the first 2 days or so but it slowed down really quickly, is that normal?

Quick Reply