Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #421
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Made this today, missed expected OG by .002!

Hopeful and can't wait till I can try this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #422
ChickenSandwichCarl
Recipes 

So here's my partial mash BIAB recipe for this Ruination Clone. I plugged into into beer smith and everything looks good except it keeps predicting a FG 1.017 instead of the 1.012 to I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm assuming it has to do with amount of fermentables that beersmith is assuming I'll get out of my mash, or what they have listed for the yield for the grains?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm a noob.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.5 %
11.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.8 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 28.7 %
2.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 101.3 IBUs
1.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -
2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 106.5 IBUs
Est Color: 9.9 SRM

Mash

60 minutes at 152 in 15.5 quarts
Dunk Sparge for 10 minutes in 4 quarts

Combine w/ DME and boil for 90 adding hops at prescribed times

Add water into fermenter to make 5 gal(hop calculations are taking this into account, i hope)

Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #423
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4258 Times on 3103 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSandwichCarl View Post
So here's my partial mash BIAB recipe for this Ruination Clone. I plugged into into beer smith and everything looks good except it keeps predicting a FG 1.017 instead of the 1.012 to I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm assuming it has to do with amount of fermentables that beersmith is assuming I'll get out of my mash, or what they have listed for the yield for the grains?
Software simply guestimates a % of the OG, and doesn't take into account the ingredients or the fermentability of the ingredients. You can ignore any FG predictions from any software.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #424
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All,

I am new to brewing and wanted to make this for a buddy that took my son hunting. I am set up for Extract on a 6.5 gal turkey fryer and have a few questions:

1) Hops: All the recipes I see are for partial boils. Should I back off the amount of hops because I am doing a full boil??? and still split the recipe 4lb (60 min) & 4 lb (flameout)???
2) Yeast: I don't know how to do a starter but am planning on using a Pacman Wyeast smacpac. SHould I picth 2 instead r will one do OK? I have not had problems in the past, but my OG was 1.06 before on other recipes.
3) On the crystal, should I buy milled/crushed or uncrushed??

Thanks Folks!

Bad Deacon

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #425
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon View Post
All,

I am new to brewing and wanted to make this for a buddy that took my son hunting. I am set up for Extract on a 6.5 gal turkey fryer and have a few questions:

1) Hops: All the recipes I see are for partial boils. Should I back off the amount of hops because I am doing a full boil??? and still split the recipe 4lb (60 min) & 4 lb (flameout)???
2) Yeast: I don't know how to do a starter but am planning on using a Pacman Wyeast smacpac. SHould I picth 2 instead r will one do OK? I have not had problems in the past, but my OG was 1.06 before on other recipes.
3) On the crystal, should I buy milled/crushed or uncrushed??

Thanks Folks!

Bad Deacon
You want all grains crushed.
You should use the recipe hops with a full boil.
You should use 2 and a half brand new smack packs or 4 average aged packs. A starter is pretty much needed. You can try 2 packets of us-05 instead if you can.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #426
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks! I think I might need to jump into starters sooner than later! I used safale-5 with my first brew but had trouble with temp on day 3.

I see a temp control for the extra fridge and extra carboys in my new near future! This startup coat is killing me!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #427
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon
Thanks! I think I might need to jump into starters sooner than later! I used safale-5 with my first brew but had trouble with temp on day 3.

I see a temp control for the extra fridge and extra carboys in my new near future! This startup coat is killing me!
I used two vials when I made mine, took it about 12 hrs to start. Should use a starter next time, but two vials were fine in a pinch.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #428
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Crush grains, normal hops, use 2 s05 packets which is the cost of 1 wyeast.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #429
satownsend
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been holding off on brewing IPAs for when I could do full wort boils. Got a 10 gallon brew pot for Christmas so I'm ordering ingredients for this now. I can't wait to try it.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #430
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I tried one for the first time last night. Seemed a little "green" and it hasn't carbed up properly yet. There is a slight hiss and larger head bubbles, but it was sitting since bottling --3 weeks--at about 50 degrees (so I moved it into the laundry room where it is a bit warmer). My initial impression is it tastes very resinous with a nice caramel note. Its definitely a DIPA and I can't help but think that some age will improve this considerably (maybe about a month or so). It tastes to me "bigger" than the 8% that it is--more like a Barleywine. As I sipped it, I kept thinking it had more of the flavor of SN Bigfoot rather than Ruination--but I must admit...its pretty tasty. I will crack one in a few weeks with an update.

TF

Quick Reply