Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #421
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 413
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default


Made this today, missed expected OG by .002!

Hopeful and can't wait till I can try this one.

__________________
moscoeb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #422
ChickenSandwichCarl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 20
Default


So here's my partial mash BIAB recipe for this Ruination Clone. I plugged into into beer smith and everything looks good except it keeps predicting a FG 1.017 instead of the 1.012 to I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm assuming it has to do with amount of fermentables that beersmith is assuming I'll get out of my mash, or what they have listed for the yield for the grains?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm a noob.



8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.5 %
11.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.8 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 28.7 %
2.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 101.3 IBUs
1.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -
2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 106.5 IBUs
Est Color: 9.9 SRM

Mash

60 minutes at 152 in 15.5 quarts
Dunk Sparge for 10 minutes in 4 quarts

Combine w/ DME and boil for 90 adding hops at prescribed times

Add water into fermenter to make 5 gal(hop calculations are taking this into account, i hope)

__________________
ChickenSandwichCarl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #423
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,260
Liked 4258 Times on 3103 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSandwichCarl View Post
So here's my partial mash BIAB recipe for this Ruination Clone. I plugged into into beer smith and everything looks good except it keeps predicting a FG 1.017 instead of the 1.012 to I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm assuming it has to do with amount of fermentables that beersmith is assuming I'll get out of my mash, or what they have listed for the yield for the grains?
Software simply guestimates a % of the OG, and doesn't take into account the ingredients or the fermentability of the ingredients. You can ignore any FG predictions from any software.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #424
BadDeacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hattiesburg
Posts: 358
Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


All,

I am new to brewing and wanted to make this for a buddy that took my son hunting. I am set up for Extract on a 6.5 gal turkey fryer and have a few questions:

1) Hops: All the recipes I see are for partial boils. Should I back off the amount of hops because I am doing a full boil??? and still split the recipe 4lb (60 min) & 4 lb (flameout)???
2) Yeast: I don't know how to do a starter but am planning on using a Pacman Wyeast smacpac. SHould I picth 2 instead r will one do OK? I have not had problems in the past, but my OG was 1.06 before on other recipes.
3) On the crystal, should I buy milled/crushed or uncrushed??

Thanks Folks!

Bad Deacon

__________________
BadDeacon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #425
badbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: l.a.
Posts: 1,372
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon View Post
All,

I am new to brewing and wanted to make this for a buddy that took my son hunting. I am set up for Extract on a 6.5 gal turkey fryer and have a few questions:

1) Hops: All the recipes I see are for partial boils. Should I back off the amount of hops because I am doing a full boil??? and still split the recipe 4lb (60 min) & 4 lb (flameout)???
2) Yeast: I don't know how to do a starter but am planning on using a Pacman Wyeast smacpac. SHould I picth 2 instead r will one do OK? I have not had problems in the past, but my OG was 1.06 before on other recipes.
3) On the crystal, should I buy milled/crushed or uncrushed??

Thanks Folks!

Bad Deacon
You want all grains crushed.
You should use the recipe hops with a full boil.
You should use 2 and a half brand new smack packs or 4 average aged packs. A starter is pretty much needed. You can try 2 packets of us-05 instead if you can.
__________________
badbrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #426
BadDeacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hattiesburg
Posts: 358
Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Thanks! I think I might need to jump into starters sooner than later! I used safale-5 with my first brew but had trouble with temp on day 3.

I see a temp control for the extra fridge and extra carboys in my new near future! This startup coat is killing me!

__________________
BadDeacon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #427
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 413
Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDeacon
Thanks! I think I might need to jump into starters sooner than later! I used safale-5 with my first brew but had trouble with temp on day 3.

I see a temp control for the extra fridge and extra carboys in my new near future! This startup coat is killing me!
I used two vials when I made mine, took it about 12 hrs to start. Should use a starter next time, but two vials were fine in a pinch.
__________________
moscoeb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #428
Petekiteworld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Burlington
Posts: 182
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Default


Crush grains, normal hops, use 2 s05 packets which is the cost of 1 wyeast.

__________________
Petekiteworld is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #429
satownsend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ebensburg
Posts: 32
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


I've been holding off on brewing IPAs for when I could do full wort boils. Got a 10 gallon brew pot for Christmas so I'm ordering ingredients for this now. I can't wait to try it.

__________________
satownsend is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #430
TriggerFingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Goleta
Posts: 284
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


I tried one for the first time last night. Seemed a little "green" and it hasn't carbed up properly yet. There is a slight hiss and larger head bubbles, but it was sitting since bottling --3 weeks--at about 50 degrees (so I moved it into the laundry room where it is a bit warmer). My initial impression is it tastes very resinous with a nice caramel note. Its definitely a DIPA and I can't help but think that some age will improve this considerably (maybe about a month or so). It tastes to me "bigger" than the 8% that it is--more like a Barleywine. As I sipped it, I kept thinking it had more of the flavor of SN Bigfoot rather than Ruination--but I must admit...its pretty tasty. I will crack one in a few weeks with an update.

TF

__________________
TriggerFingers is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Ruination Ale Blender Commercial Brew Discussion 19 06-28-2010 10:09 PM
Stone Ruination IPA BarleyWater Commercial Brew Discussion 2 12-29-2009 10:56 PM
Stone Ruination Clone w/ starter question forces Extract Brewing 15 12-16-2009 09:33 PM
Bottle Conditioning a Stone Ruination Clone Glavin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-27-2009 09:39 PM
First AG - Stone Ruination IPA Clone seigex All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 25 08-16-2009 11:15 AM