Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #31
jbambuti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don't worry so much. Yes, adding that extra pound of extract would have upped your OG. Your beer will just be a bit more hoppy than you expected. To some of us, that might be a good thing. I've made this recipe several times and I keep changing it to suit my tastes. I've raised the OG and added more hops to compensate, because I like bigger IIPA's. On the last batch, I went all Amarillo and added a bit of dextrose to get my FG a little lower. I'm also adding more dry hops. Obviously it will be nowhere near a clone, but I'm really after a beer that I love, regardless of the similarity to the original. I'll post my results when it's finished.
Relax and enjoy the process.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #32
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Snuck a taste of mine and even though it needs around a week more to fully prime, the sucker tastes awesome! Very very close to the original!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #33
DMace
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I gave the extract version of this recipe a shot. Only I missed the part about a 2 1/2 gallon boil and only boiled 1 3/4 gallons. The result was that most of my DME turned to hard candy when I added the final four pounds at flame out. I did manage to add some water and dissolve most of it, but had a slight caramelized flavor when I tasted the hydrometer sample... which read 1.058. I've read about other home brewers on here having the sugars caramelize because of a boil over, but never read about my situation. Anyway, should I expect a bad batch? Anyone share a similar experience?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #34
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually add my DME a little at a time, while whisking it in. This saves me the trouble of melting the 'hard candy' from dumping it all at once.

The caramelized flavor you describe, unless you truly carmelized it, which is doubtful at flameout, is probably the Caramel 20L. Mine have had a slight caramel taste, which I like. Can't say if yours if from that, or if it has that burned sugar taste. If it's the latter, maybe it came from your first addition.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #35
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Did a side-by-side taste test last night and it was dead on! Color is a tad bit darker however plus a much more noticeable aroma of cascade hops - I'll post pictures soon enough. SWMBO actually preferred mine!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #36
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
Did a side-by-side taste test last night and it was dead on! Color is a tad bit darker however plus a much more noticeable aroma of cascade hops - I'll post pictures soon enough. SWMBO actually preferred mine!
I can't wait to taste mine! A week of cold crash, then dry hop in the keg for a week or two and then it's sample time! It'll be nice to get to this IIPA after running out of my last Pale Ale.

Rich

Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #37
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

I'm thinking of trying this recipe out for my first non-ingredient kit batch... How long should I leave this to condition in the bottles? Longer than 3 weeks?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #38
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

An Imperial IPA usually does well being drunk fresh, so just give it long enough to carbonate (I was drinking my Pliny after less than 2 weeks, and it was awesome). My Ruination has only been in the bottles for a few days though, so that is not long enough

Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #39
jerzeedevil13
Recipes 

Im going to dry hop mine this weekend, it's just taking toooooo long.
Cant wait to start sampling. Another month or so for me
Whats better? whole hops or pellets ? and would you use a bag or just dump them in there ?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #40
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeedevil13 View Post
Im going to dry hop mine this weekend, it's just taking toooooo long.
Cant wait to start sampling. Another month or so for me
Whats better? whole hops or pellets ? and would you use a bag or just dump them in there ?
I used whole hops and just racked on top of them. Not sure what the pros/cons would be for using pellets though.

GrassLands Brewery

Quick Reply