Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #361
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcotter View Post
I don't have the necessary equipment for a yeast starter yet so I usually stick with the wyeast smack packs. With this beer have an OG of 1.07+ would I be better off using 2 packs for a 5 gallon extract batch?
More like three, if you don't want to make a starter!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #362
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcotter
I don't have the necessary equipment for a yeast starter yet so I usually stick with the wyeast smack packs. With this beer have an OG of 1.07+ would I be better off using 2 packs for a 5 gallon extract batch?
You don't have a mason jar (or any glass container around a quart), grain or extract, and water? You can make a starter with any ole wort of reasonably low gravity and a container in which to house it. Do a mini mash if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #363
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Two packs of S05 will do, cheaper too.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #364
mcotter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm, still pretty new at this so I guess I was confused. I thought making a starter required a stir plate. Guess I'll go brush up on how to,make a starter. Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #365
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcotter
Hmmm, still pretty new at this so I guess I was confused. I thought making a starter required a stir plate. Guess I'll go brush up on how to,make a starter. Thanks for the responses.
I have no stir plate. Just shake or agitate it whenever you walk by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #366
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed this one and dry hopped. Hydro sample tastes great but not as sweet as the original. Might need to mash a bit higher temp next time and/or bump crystal malt.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #367
brewskisteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yooper,
I'm reading your recipe, thinking about doing this as a Xmas Gift for myself, and I need some advice. Doing an extract, full boil.

A- What would you think of making a minor change in using Xtra light DME for the initial addition and light DME at flame out? would this change the OG at all?

B- As for the hops schedule. What kind of hops for this recipe? Whole leaf or pellets by the weight you described? What should I do for the recipe for whole leaf hops?

C- When do you think I should start this so that this tastes at its prime for Xmas?

This would be my first time adjusting a recipe and getting ingredients, not a full kit already made. I cant wait to do this and say "I MADE THIS ONE!!!" Thanks in advance.
Steve

Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #368
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewskisteve View Post
Yooper,
I'm reading your recipe, thinking about doing this as a Xmas Gift for myself, and I need some advice. Doing an extract, full boil.

A- What would you think of making a minor change in using Xtra light DME for the initial addition and light DME at flame out? would this change the OG at all?

B- As for the hops schedule. What kind of hops for this recipe? Whole leaf or pellets by the weight you described? What should I do for the recipe for whole leaf hops?

C- When do you think I should start this so that this tastes at its prime for Xmas?

This would be my first time adjusting a recipe and getting ingredients, not a full kit already made. I cant wait to do this and say "I MADE THIS ONE!!!" Thanks in advance.
Steve
A. No, the OG should not change a bit.

B. I've used whatever I've had, both with leaf (whole) hops and with pellets. Either is fine.

C. If you pitch enough yeast, and ferment at the optimum fermentation temperature, and are bottling, I'd say about 6-8 weeks before drinking would be the perfect brewday timing.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #369
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just got home from a homebrew club meeting. I brought a bomber of this one with. Rave reviews, including "this is the best ruination clone I've ever tasted". The bomber I used was a Ruination 10th anniversary bottle, and several people swore I bought this at the store. Next time, I'll be doing a 10 gallon batch of this! Yooper rules.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #370
brewskisteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks again Yooper. Let ya know how it all goes.

Quick Reply