Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #341
j2bink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Its tough one. I want to follow the byo clone but nothing like second guessing the recipe and using your experiences. I'm using crystal 20, and adding Munich malt to get that noticeable malt note. Does anyone know what the approx IBUs? 100+ doesn't tell me enough. Thanks. What for origin of magnum do you think stone uses?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #342
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2bink View Post
Its tough one. I want to follow the byo clone but nothing like second guessing the recipe and using your experiences. I'm using crystal 20, and adding Munich malt to get that noticeable malt note. Does anyone know what the approx IBUs? 100+ doesn't tell me enough. Thanks. What for origin of magnum do you think stone uses?
Not sure on how many IBUs to shoot for but Stone now uses Columbus instead of Magnum to bitter the vast majority of their beers.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #343
j2bink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00

Not sure on how many IBUs to shoot for but Stone now uses Columbus instead of Magnum to bitter the vast majority of their beers.
Since when? I heard that Columbus is listed on sight now as well. One other comment on this thread mentioned that he used Columbus and believes type of bittering hop was off and it could be that its magnum. Is it possible to pick up on type of bittering hops used?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #344
smallsc111
Recipes 

Hey suggestions on bottling? I don't have the equipment to keg it or cask it so what should I prime it in the bottle it with dextrose or DME?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #345
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallsc111
Hey suggestions on bottling? I don't have the equipment to keg it or cask it so what should I prime it in the bottle it with dextrose or DME?
I used corn sugar. It's good. 3.75oz to 4.75 gal

Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #346
Logzor
Recipes 

OK mine has been bottled a couple of weeks now. When I open the bottles they foam straight out of the bottle and onto the floor or counter. I chilled it for just a couple of hours. The house has been in the upper 70's where it's been sitting for 2 weeks.

Will this subside or will they be this foamy forever?

Taste is awesome.

The ones I opened within the first week were perfectly carbed. Used the same 4 oz of priming sugar as I do all my beers.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #347
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just my theory I'm working on...

How long did you ferment?
What was the OG and FG?

Did you move the beer to a secondary fermentation?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #348
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor
OK mine has been bottled a couple of weeks now. When I open the bottles they foam straight out of the bottle and onto the floor or counter. I chilled it for just a couple of hours. The house has been in the upper 70's where it's been sitting for 2 weeks.

Will this subside or will they be this foamy forever?

Taste is awesome.

The ones I opened within the first week were perfectly carbed. Used the same 4 oz of priming sugar as I do all my beers.
It will be that foamy forever. If anything, it will get worse. At least in my experience with over-carrbed beer. You should try out something like iBrew Master for smart phones to get sugar volumes. Different styles require different amounts of sugar.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #349
Logzor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
It will be that foamy forever. If anything, it will get worse. At least in my experience with over-carrbed beer. You should try out something like iBrew Master for smart phones to get sugar volumes. Different styles require different amounts of sugar.
Well good news. I think the foaming was just a temperature issue. The house had been super-warm while we were out of town. Since the beer was in the house it was also quite warm.

I only had it in the fridge for a few hours.

I've had a few more since, all of which spent at least 24 hours in the fridge. None have foamed up at all.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #350
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post

Additionally, there is a good article on the BYO website discussing carbonating, specifically bottling. It talks about residual carbonation from fermentation as well as the various levels typical to different styles. I always believe it is best to understand the process used rather than simply ONLY relying on a computer to tell you what to do.

Quick Reply