Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
Grasslands
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
If yours is not well enough attenuated, mine will probably be just the opposite! Just got it into the carboy. I had tried using beersmith's calcs for water into grain vs. my usual grain into pre-heated tun and water, and, to make a long story short, it mashed mostly a few degrees less than I had planned. I usually hit it right on!

OK, it won't be even slightly malty. Then there is that US-05 yeast attenuation, where I'm always over 80%, even with higher mash temps. It could be I'm drinking hop extract! Alcohol and hops. Good thing I like hops! We'll see.....
I bottled mine and I was just a little off with attenuation (my theory) because I went with 9 lbs of LME. I'm going to try it again with DME or some sort of combo, then again when I go all-grain.

She did smell quite lovely though! Oh yeah, quick question for anyone who's dry-hopped before as this was my first experience. I expected some of my beer to be soaked up by the hops (which it was), but does anyone know what the absorbtion (sp?) rate is for 2 oz of leaf hops?

GrassLands Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #22
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
I expected some of my beer to be soaked up by the hops (which it was), but does anyone know what the absorbtion (sp?) rate is for 2 oz of leaf hops?
I wish I knew! I go right into the keg after dry hopping, so I don't get a good measure. However, it "seems" like I lose a lot less than when siphoning out of the boil kettle with a similar amount of hops. But I cold crash and/or fine the wort before kegging, so it tends to settle everything down a bit. And now I use pellets for dry hopping, which is easier with carboys...

Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
hoppheadIPA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What would be a good sub for the magnum? All I have is chinook, nugget, and colombus

Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppheadIPA View Post
What would be a good sub for the magnum? All I have is chinook, nugget, and colombus
Hmmm. Nugget would probably be closest. However, since it's for bittering, I don't think using columbus would be an issue either. Chinook would be ok, but would be my third choice out of that bunch.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #25
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used warrior in mine only because the LHBS didn't have magnum and warrior was their suggestion...i'll let everyone know how it turns out

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Hmmm. Nugget would probably be closest. However, since it's for bittering, I don't think using columbus would be an issue either. Chinook would be ok, but would be my third choice out of that bunch.
Columbus is what Stone is using for bittering Ruination this yearhttp://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/, so that is the "closest"! It's what I used in mine.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #27
Helms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm thinking of brewing this on the weekend. My problem is that I only have four ounces of Centennial available. Do you think it will be detrimental to drop the thirty minute addition entirely? I do plan on upping the sixty minute to adjust for bitterness.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #28
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm growing antsy to try mine...I look at my calendar and I think: "Has it only been 7 days since I bottled?" Sheesh!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

HA! I just finally bought a 15 gallon kettle yesterday because I came up with a very tasty looking IPA recipe I desperately wanted to try. It would have been a chore with my little 7 gallon kettle.

Anyway, my recipe is almost identical to this one. Glad it's tried and true

Mine will be slightly smaller - 1.074 projected OG and 98 IBU's. All Magnum and Centennials though with U.S. 2-row 92% and Crystal 40 8%. Similar grain bill to my best pale ale, but more of it obviously I'll also be boiling 90 minutes.

I'm 10 minutes into the mash

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

stpug Likes This 
Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #30
jerzeedevil13
Recipes 

So I went with the extract version and my OG was off a bit 1.068, still bubbling on day 6. Wondering if more DME would have raised the OG ? I had 9 lbs only used 8 - 4 for the boil 4 at flame out ( looking back I dont know why I just didnt use the 1lb that was left over... Dont care so much for the final ABV as I do for the taste. I'm sure it will still turn out ok and I subbed warrior for the bittering hops.
Signed,
Anxious noob

Quick Reply