Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
jbambuti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this recipe recently, but used 12 lbs of Pilsen LME. It came out really great. I liked it so much, that I brewed another batch a week and a half ago. I just dryhopped it yesterday and am looking forward to bottling it in another week and a half. I thought I'd bump the dryhop time to 10 days instead of 7, as I love the Centennial aroma. I heartily recommend this recipe to anyone.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
What do you think about subbing warrior for the magnum? I've got a few ounces i need to use up, and i'd like to brew this.
I think Magnum has a much more forgiving bitterness. If you have had Pliny, it is primarily bittered with warrior although you can't tell too much with all the late additions but that should give you an idea.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
What do you think about subbing warrior for the magnum? I've got a few ounces i need to use up, and i'd like to brew this.

Absolutely. Take it to 90 minutes if you want, but will be just as good!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sweet. Another brew to make once I start up again. Ruination is one of my favorite IIPA's, but the $15 a six pack makes it a luxury.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I think Magnum has a much more forgiving bitterness. If you have had Pliny, it is primarily bittered with warrior although you can't tell too much with all the late additions but that should give you an idea.
Yeah i love pliny. I was thinking about increasing the late editions anyways since i've got a bunch of centennial (and cascade).

Maybe this won't turn out to be a ruination clone per se, but i'm sure it will be good nonetheless.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 AM   #16
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Brewed a modified version of this about 1.5 weeks ago..sampled it today after taking a hydrometer reading and it's delicious. My version had a slightly different hop schedule that included a FWH with 1oz of cascade, Warrior for bittering, increased late additions, and increase dryhopping. I'm anxious to see how it tastes in a few weeks after dryhopping and some time in the keg.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm brewing this recipe up (substituting w/extract) tomorrow night. I'm going to get as close as I can in color...but I'm completely stoked to brew this. Ruination has quickly become on of my favorite beers. I'm making a starter tonight so hopefully 24 hrs is a good enough lead-time for my yeast-starter.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #18
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm brewing it tomorrow. I subbed great western "Pale Ale Malt" for most of the two row, and am using US-05 for yeast, because of what I have on hand. Any speculation on how this will change the flavor?

Also, has anyone done a tasting of this recipe against the real thing?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After 3 long weeks, I'm finally ready to bottle mine tonight. Took an SG and didn't get quite the attenuation I was looking for, but the sample tasted like flat Ruination! We'll see I suppose.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #20
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
After 3 long weeks, I'm finally ready to bottle mine tonight. Took an SG and didn't get quite the attenuation I was looking for, but the sample tasted like flat Ruination! We'll see I suppose.
If yours is not well enough attenuated, mine will probably be just the opposite! Just got it into the carboy. I had tried using beersmith's calcs for water into grain vs. my usual grain into pre-heated tun and water, and, to make a long story short, it mashed mostly a few degrees less than I had planned. I usually hit it right on!

OK, it won't be even slightly malty. Then there is that US-05 yeast attenuation, where I'm always over 80%, even with higher mash temps. It could be I'm drinking hop extract! Alcohol and hops. Good thing I like hops! We'll see.....

Quick Reply