Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #141
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Old thread, but looks like a great recipe! I'm going to start doing the math for this so I can do a batch next weekend. I've got the Magnum, some Perle, and a bit of Cascades. I'll be getting more hops, obviously, but any thoughts on mixing in the Perle and Cascades somewhere along the line?

I'll probably do a FWH and a late hop instead of the written schedule, plus a dry hop (duh).

Looks so good! I'm glad this will be a good young drinker, since I'm only 6 days into my first fermentation (SNPA clone) and I'm just dying to get it done!
I don't know what the final taste will be like with the cascades and perle mix instead of centennial. It won't be anything like Stone Ruination, more like SNPA, but it will still be good I'm sure. I don't use perle much in late additions, though, as I don't care for the flavor/aroma as much as the citrusy US C-hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #142
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't know what the final taste will be like with the cascades and perle mix instead of centennial. It won't be anything like Stone Ruination, more like SNPA, but it will still be good I'm sure. I don't use perle much in late additions, though, as I don't care for the flavor/aroma as much as the citrusy US C-hops.
Well, I picked up 4oz of Centennial, I was thinking I'll mix half of them with the hops I have and just create a hybrid to use through the boil, then dry hop with the other 2oz of Centennial. I'm sure I'll do something silly along the way that would put me outside of Clone town anyway.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #143
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had my batch in 1ry for 3 weeks now. Hopefully I'll finally have time tomorrow to rack to 2ry and dry hop. I'm a little nervous because I pitched while it was hot and fermented over 80F for the first 5 days :S . Hopefully the yeasties will clean it up for me.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #144
ericdaryl
Recipes 

This isn't news to anyone who's been paying attention, but this really is a fantastic recipe. I brewed up a batch a couple months ago and I'm steadily plowing my way through the bottles.

Side by side, I preferred this to the Ruination. Someone once suggested that they tasted a bit of onion in the Ruination, and ever since I haven't been able to get that out of my head as I taste it. Needless to say, the HB version doesn't go there.

Thanks Yooper!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #145
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdaryl View Post
This isn't news to anyone who's been paying attention, but this really is a fantastic recipe. I brewed up a batch a couple months ago and I'm steadily plowing my way through the bottles.

Side by side, I preferred this to the Ruination. Someone once suggested that they tasted a bit of onion in the Ruination, and ever since I haven't been able to get that out of my head as I taste it. Needless to say, the HB version doesn't go there.

Thanks Yooper!
I love it too. It's one of my favorite brews.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #146
Aedan382
Recipes 

Well this recipe turned into my 4th AG batch, and I missed my SG it ended up at 1.070, but I don't mind, because I ended up with around 6-1/4 gallons in the primary, so I guess I had a less rolling boil? Meh. Just means more left after the hops soak up my precious!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #147
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just brewed this today, seems to have gone alright. I guess I'll know in a few weeks.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #148
unclebobby
Recipes 

First post. New to brewing. I am brewing the extract method of this recipe tomorrow. I will be using a full boil, should I start with about 6.5 gallons of water to allow for boil off? How long should I steep my grains and at what temp? Should I add my full 8# of DME at beginning with the full boil or save half for flame out? I would appreciate any I put.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #149
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I'm going to start by saying I'm not an expert (yet). All I can say is the start volume will depend on your equipment's evaporation rate, which varies depending on the btu rate of the burner and other factors. I did an all-grain version but for extract brewing I used to steep for 30 minutes at 170°F. As far as the DME, I always added it at the start of the boil. My batch had an extremely aggressive fermentation, so I would recommend a 6.5 gallon carboy or bottling bucket with a blowoff tube for the primary. I made the mistake of using my 5 gallon carboy and lost 1.75 gallons of my batch :S

Good luck and happy brewing!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #150
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebobby View Post
First post. New to brewing. I am brewing the extract method of this recipe tomorrow. I will be using a full boil, should I start with about 6.5 gallons of water to allow for boil off? How long should I steep my grains and at what temp? Should I add my full 8# of DME at beginning with the full boil or save half for flame out? I would appreciate any I put.
Boiloff will usually range from somewhere around 1-1.5 gallons per hour, depending on your burner, pot size, etc. 6.5 seems like a reasonable plan to start with, although you might want to go 7 to err on the side of caution.

Steeping temperature isn't terribly critical, so long as it's above 150F and below 170F; the latter is the more critical of the two, as if you go into the 170+ range, you can start to extract tannins from the grains, which will adversely affect the flavor of the final beer.

If you're doing full boil, there isn't any huge reason to split the extract additions, as you typically want to do that in order to boost IBU extraction from a partial boil batch. You should be fine adding it all at the start.

Quick Reply