Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Stone Ruination Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #121
petrostar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Drank 12 bombers this weekend with friends. This recipe is a keeper!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #122
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So I have the time and the pipeline. Would you suggest leaving this in primary longer? I don't think I would want to leave it in secondary on hops longer than this. The other question, worth dryhopping in the primary? I don't have another 6.5 carboy. Not a bad problem to have, they are all filled.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #123
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I dryhopped this one in the primary (and it sat in the primary for ~6 weeks total) for around 3 weeks, as I had to free up a keg. Worked just fine. Unless you're planning on harvesting your yeast (which for a beer this size, you probably shouldn't), it'll be OK.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #124
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
So I have the time and the pipeline. Would you suggest leaving this in primary longer? I don't think I would want to leave it in secondary on hops longer than this. The other question, worth dryhopping in the primary? I don't have another 6.5 carboy. Not a bad problem to have, they are all filled.
When I last did this one, I did a primary only. Seem to remember 3 weeks. I don't remember whether I dry hopped in the primary or the keg, however, as that was about the time I started keg hopping.

For primary, I dry hop once the ferment has slowed way down (~ 1 + weeks at 62 degrees). However, some don't like to dry hop that long (3 weeks minus 1 week = 2 weeks), as they feel grassy flavors can develop. I haven't had a problem with that yet, but I do keep it cool. I think temperature affects the dry hopping process.

YMMV,
Rich

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #125
bluemoose

Recipes 

I have had it fermenting between 62 and 63 for 2 weeks today. I was thinking I would give it another week and then dryhop for a week. In the original recipe it says to dryhop at 65. Any specific reason for the temp increase? I have another fermenting at 62 in the same chamber. I figured I would give them both another week, dryhop for a week and get them conditioning. Not sure about moving the temp up. Hard to tell if it is vital to the recipe, or a note about the temp of Yooper's basement!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #126
ericdaryl
Recipes 

Made a version of this and have been drinking it for a few weeks. Really pleased with how it came out!

We did a side by side blind comparison the other day w/ a bottle of the real deal. Our clone had a less 'sharp' hop aroma and bite on the tongue than did the Stone. Before we revealed their identities, I was pretty sure that the Stone was the clone b/c it had a bit of a medicinal kick to it that I figured to be a mistake of mine, rather than the professionals. Our version was slightly darker, but pretty close.

In the end, both of us gave higher thumbs up to the clone, but that could be a matter of freshness. Anyway, thanks for a great recipe!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #127
bluemoose

Recipes 

Brought this up for bottling today. It had been in primary at 62-64 for 3 weeks and 64 dryhopping in primary for another week. I checked the gravity and it was 1.020. I decided not to bottle yet. Will letting it come up to 74 start this again? I would love to see it drop a bit. Don't really need any bottle bombs. Also should I pull the hops? Been in for a week. Don't want a grassy taste. Ok to go another week, or should I pull them?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #128
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
Brought this up for bottling today. It had been in primary at 62-64 for 3 weeks and 64 dryhopping in primary for another week. I checked the gravity and it was 1.020. I decided not to bottle yet. Will letting it come up to 74 start this again? I would love to see it drop a bit. Don't really need any bottle bombs. Also should I pull the hops? Been in for a week. Don't want a grassy taste. Ok to go another week, or should I pull them?

Thanks
I don't like dryhopping for more than a week or so, especially at warmer temperatures. I don't know if it'll go lower or not- it would depend on why it's at 1.020 I guess.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #129
bluemoose

Recipes 

OK. I will bow to your wisdom and take the hops out. Luckily I did put them in a hop bag this time.
As far as the gravity, it started at 1.072. The only thing I can think is that the temp was too cold to finish. I used WLP001 as I couldn't get the Pacman suggested. Perhaps the WLP001 is having a hard time with it? I have only used this yeast with lower ABV brews.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #130
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'd go with another week at higher temp, just in case. If you mashed a bit warmer than usual or had a bad crush, it could bring you up a few points. If after a few days in the 70s, it remains at 1.020, go ahead and bottle, but it doesn't sound like you're in a huge rush, so may as well give it a bit just to check.

Quick Reply