Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Stone Enjoy By IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #31
RMPriest
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewkyBrown
This recipe looks great.

I have a question though. With the huge amount of hops, how much actual beer do you end up with? If it is a 6 gallon batch do you have to start with a lot more water to make up for the trub loss? I haven't brewed a big ipa yet so this is new to me!
I'm new to this myself but from what little experience I have, I would say.
It really depends on how much beer you want to have at the end of the process. Accounting for all loss at every stage of production. This can only be accurately calculated by knowing your equipment and ingredients then adjusting the recipe size so at the end you have the volume of beer you're shooting for.
If you look at some recipes that require large dry hop additions the volume of beer absorbed by the hops is subtracted to get the final quantity.
Hope that made sense. Cheers!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #32
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You definitely lose at least 1/2 gallon to dry hop sludge.

FYI, my batch with WLP090 settled out at 1.010 for an ABV of 9.4%. It's dry hopping right now. I'll post some updates once it's in the keg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
FishBrew
Recipes 

Hi everyone.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to home brewing. Stone IPA is one of my favorites for sure! Does anyone know an extract recipe for this? I haven't gotten into all grain brewing yet.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #34
RMPriest
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland
You totally could, as there isn't a complicated grain bill. I'd say just use enough straight extra light DME to get you to 1.080-1.081

My only concern would be how fermentable of a wort that would create. So with that said, I'd use more dextrose to compensate. Say 1.5-1.75lbs. Just adjust your extract accordingly to hit an OG of 1.081

Also, if you really wanted to get fancy, you could use 50/50 extra light DME and Marris otter extract. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, so I doubt it's critical.

I'd say it's worth trying, this beer is amazing.
Here's your answer.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrew View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm still a bit of a newbie to home brewing. Stone IPA is one of my favorites for sure! Does anyone know an extract recipe for this? I haven't gotten into all grain brewing yet.

Thanks!
This is for Stone's "Enjoy By" IPA (really a double IPA) and not the regular IPA. Here's a recipe for the regular Stone IPA

Substitute .6# light DME for each pound of pale malt (so 6.3# in this recipe) and steep the grains as you normally would for an extract w/ specialty grains recipe.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
FishBrew
Recipes 

Thank you!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #37
FishBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwash

This is for Stone's "Enjoy By" IPA (really a double IPA) and not the regular IPA. Here's a recipe for the regular Stone IPA

Substitute .6# light DME for each pound of pale malt (so 6.3# in this recipe) and steep the grains as you normally would for an extract w/ specialty grains recipe.
Thank you!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #38
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Going on my "to brew" list

Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #39
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Any thoughts on good substitutes for the Delta and Calypso hops? I found a vendor that has everything that I don't already have (Motueka, Citra, Nelson, Target, & Galaxy) but they don't have Delta or Calypso. I have plenty of the following: Cascade (thinking this one for the Delta maybe?), Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Apollo. Going to use Apollo for the bittering hop.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #40
GrowlerMonkey
Recipes 

What vendor were you able to find all those hops from?

Also, does anyone know when hop vendors typically get their new supplies? It seems like everyone is low...I know they typically harvest in September, but just wondering when the new harvest will usually hit the market.

Quick Reply