Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > The Standard™ IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 02:15 AM   #11
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebone
I love IPA's. Right now I'm drinking an IPA I made from an extract kit from kennywoodbrew.com and it is GRRRREAT! This has been the batch I make between other batches because I have to have some on hand at all times, everyone likes it. I'm going all grain soon but more than likely I will keep making this.
I brewed the Belgian Saison from Kennybrewwood and it had a funky taste - not saying it wasn't something I caused. It grew on me and I have one more cherished bottle left.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Chillbrook
Recipes 

Just have a question: Anyway to convert that for extract brewers? I'm not setup for AG, nor do I really have the funds, so until I remedy that situation I'm stuck with extracts....

Old 02-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbrook
Just have a question: Anyway to convert that for extract brewers? I'm not setup for AG, nor do I really have the funds, so until I remedy that situation I'm stuck with extracts....
Replace the base grains (the two-row) with LME and/or DME to achieve similar gravity.

A good rule of thumb is that one pound of mashed base grain yields about the same gravity as .7 lbs LME or about .575 lbs DME.

So substitute approx 9 lbs LME or 7.5 lbs DME, steep the specialty grains, and you're good to go.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
Chillbrook
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Replace the base grains (the two-row) with LME and/or DME to achieve similar gravity.

A good rule of thumb is that one pound of mashed base grain yields about the same gravity as .7 lbs LME or about .575 lbs DME.

So substitute approx 9 lbs LME or 7.5 lbs DME, steep the specialty grains, and you're good to go.
Just ran it through Beersmith and your estimates were spot on.... this is going to cost far too much, however. Damn!

This is the site I used for prices....hopefully I can find something cheaper than 14.99 a kg.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbrook
Just ran it through Beersmith and your estimates were spot on.... this is going to cost far too much, however. Damn!

This is the site I used for prices....hopefully I can find something cheaper than 14.99 a kg.
Don't forget about shipping. I used to order my wheat DME from them back when I did extract brewing. $14.99/KG plus ~$9.00 for shipping. Ouch.

Not sure how much you like to drive but up in Hamilton there is a great LHBS called Brew Time. I live up in Guelph and routinely drive down there. The young guy who runs the brewery is very helpful and knowledgeable.

There is another place in Welland that does online ordering http://www.5gallons.com/ . I haven't ordered from them personally but it's only $12.60/KG on their website.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #16
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

What do the big places like AHBS, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, etc charge to ship to Canada? Is it prohibitive?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #17
Chillbrook
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
Don't forget about shipping. I used to order my wheat DME from them back when I did extract brewing. $14.99/KG plus ~$9.00 for shipping. Ouch.

Not sure how much you like to drive but up in Hamilton there is a great LHBS called Brew Time. I live up in Guelph and routinely drive down there. The young guy who runs the brewery is very helpful and knowledgeable.

There is another place in Welland that does online ordering http://www.5gallons.com/ . I haven't ordered from them personally but it's only $12.60/KG on their website.
I'm in Pelham, actually; only a 45 minute drive to Hamilton, relatively fast and easy for me. And I did check out that 5gallon site... I too noticed the "Welland, Ontario" on the bottom of the page (Welland is a 5 minute drive for me) but when I asked for an address they said they were located in Montreal, QC... I don't get it!

What are the prices like at Brew Time, what supplies do they have? Their website is lacking in that dept., heh.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
Chillbrook
Recipes 

Quote:
What do the big places like AHBS, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, etc charge to ship to Canada? Is it prohibitive?
Well I know we can't ship into the States (extracts, grains..) but I completely forgot to check out those sites. I'll do that right now!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I've only ordered an aerator kit from AHBS. But it was very cost-prohibitive once you factor in the UPS brokerage fees which are horrendous. For the 31USD aerator UPS charged me 23CDN in brokerage (on top of the shipping rate, ~9USD if I remember correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillbrook
What are the prices like at Brew Time, what supplies do they have? Their website is lacking in that dept., heh.
Ya their website is a little lacking. They have an excellent supply of grains and extracts. Lots of hops and they carry a pretty decent selection of WhiteLabs liquid yeast. The prices for grains and extract are very competitive.

I don't remember the specific prices for extract but I do remember it was cheaper than my LHBS which charges $13.50/KG. The selection and knowledgeable/friendly staff makes the trip well worth it. They have lots of gadgets too (I can't resist toys ). I sound like I work there, but I swear I don't.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #20
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the link to brew time!
my saturday off tomorrow so i know where i am going

simplified signature: