American IPA Slacker's Late-Hopped IPA (Silver Medal in Category)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7-8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days @ 66
Additional Fermentation
nope
Tasting Notes
Tropical aroma with hint of piney resin. Light dry body with a touch of sweetness
Grains
12# Two Row
1.5# Crystal 20
0.5# Munich

Hops
1 oz. Citra (14.1%AA) @ 20 minutes
2 oz. Chinook (11.1%AA) @ 10 minutes
2 oz. Citra (14.1%AA) @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Citra & Chinook Dry hopped for 5 days

Other
1 Whirlfloc
1/2 tab Campden
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

Mashed at 151F for 60 minutes
Batch sparged

This took silver at the 2013 UNYHA (Upstate New York) Homebrew Competition

Aroma: Predominantly Citra, mango/tropical notes that trails off with some dank piney resin from the Chinook. If this was all I could smell for the rest of my life, I would be a happy man.
Appearance: Light copper or gold. Cleared out really with the Whirlfloc. Laces really nicely and has about a 2 finger head if poured vigorously.
Taste: Slight bite up front, although very smooth. The late additions help round out the hop flavors without being too aggressive. Hop heads and haters alike have tried this and complimented it. Nice resinous tingle on the tongue. Body is light and crisp with a hint of residual sweetness from the Munich and crystal to back things up. Remains very light and drinkable though.

Will be brewing repeatedly... house IPA I believe.

Nice lookin brew. Thanks for putting up the recipe. I was thinking about brewing an IPA soon and hadn't really thought about adding a touch of Munich. Do you think that the Munich played a significant role in the sweetness or do you think that if you used a slight more Crystal you have got the same results.

It was probably more of the crystal but the Munich did help add a bit more malt to the picture to support the hopping. I may try it again with a darker crystal and remove the Munich to see how that goes. I am a fan of adding a touch of Munich, Vienna, Victory and other lightly toasted malts to kick up the flavor a little in IPAs and other paler ales.

Thanks for posting. Got the ingredients a couple of days ago. Today is brew day! This will be my second all-grain brew. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Here are a couple images of the beer at different stages, figured it would be good to post some.
Dry-Hop:
YwERBYN.jpg

Prepping for bottles:
MN0ibNH.jpg

In the glass (frozen mugs are not typically my style but I couldn't wait for this thing to chill fully... aroma was mmmmmmmmmmm):
FDpEuJB.jpg

Nice. Interesting how you only did flavor and aroma additions without a bittering addition. Might give this one a go.

That's the whole slacker's late-hopped thing. I am not a fan of that really sharp lingering bitterness that you mainly get with bittering additions so I upped the hops and waited until the last 20 to start dumping them.

You still get a nice bitterness but it is much more rounded and flavorful than just the sharp clean bitterness you achieve with 60-45 minute additions... i think.

LOVE this beer. Great IPA flavor and mouth feel with no bittering schwang. Have had nothing but good feedback on this one. Can't wait to brew it again!

Latest posts

Back