Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Simple lawn mower IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Blackgaurd_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All-Grain - Simple lawn mower IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05/Nottingham
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.12
IBU: 75 (tinseth)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6 Days @ 72*
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days @ 68*
Tasting Notes: Amazing grapefruit flavor, just a little bitter, nice subdued maltiness.

Ingredients:
------------
9.00 lb CMC Pilsner Malt (1-2 SRM)
0.50 lb Carapils/Dextrine malt (10.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (90 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (30 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (18 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.60%] (3 min)

0.75 oz Nugget [12.2%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Mash at 154 for 60min.

Prime with 3.6 Oz light DME.

I know this isnt truly a IPA by the BJCP guidelines, but this is where it best fit!

I did a single sparge on this batch since I didnt want a high og beer. I wanted something that would be ready quick with low ABW for those hot summer days.

A few notes:
I left no hop trub in the BK, I use a immersion chiller and had great cold break, but it still all went into the fermenter.
I originially added the Nugget dry hop because I had a little more headspace than I planned, however it seemed to really amplify the fruitiness of the Amarillo.
I fermented a little warm intentionally to get some of the fruity esthers to come foreword from the yeast blend.
I used a pack of us-05 and a pack of nottingham, even though this was excessive I wanted a rapid fermentation and couldnt pick, so I just used both!

I couldnt be happier with the way it turned out, easy recipe without a complicated ingredients list. The only thing I would change is to prime with corn sugar, I expected this to be carbed up in 2 weeks, it took 3 and a half to carb up, but its awesome fresh!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Yeah, too bitter to call it an APA. I've found that pushing the IBUs a little in lower gravity beers can be nice in hot weather.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply