Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
bredle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 45

WeissGuy - the color did turn out right on. The measurement is the estimated SRM from BeerSmith. I did not take an actual color measurement (haven't done that before but should figure out how)!

Fermenting/Secondary: Bell's Two Hearted Clone / Tasty McDole's APA / Ancient Orange Mead

www.boykingbrewhaus.com | Untappd: bredle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
WeissGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, thanks. I don't have beersmith, so for now I just use this handy calculator, but when you check your SRM it gives two different numbers, which are always different by about three points, so just wanted to check. Also, 1.75 pounds of caramel malt seems like it would impart ALOT of caramel flavor. I know celebration has a firm maltiness to it, but just wondering if you thought the caramel was a little too much.

Here's that calculator I was talking about:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
bredle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I could definitely taste the maltiness, but with the hop bill it balanced it out pretty well (in fact it had a little more hop character to it than the original Celebration). That being said, you could pull back on the caramel (maybe by 1/2lb) and it will still be a malt forward IPA similar to Celebration, but the color may not be the same.

Fermenting/Secondary: Bell's Two Hearted Clone / Tasty McDole's APA / Ancient Orange Mead

Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Placeholder (I cant wait to brew this one)

Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
WeissGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just for fun, I emailed SN about what Lovibond caramel malt they use, and what SRM they target, and they got back to me!:

"Thank you for reaching out to us and for expressing your interests in Sierra Nevada. We are very happy to hear of your pursuit to clone our Celebration Ale! After reaching out to our brew staff they were able to respond with an answer to your questions which I have copied bellow:

We use 45 Lovibond Caramel Malt.
Target is 20 EBC or 10 SRM on the color.”

So just a rough run through the brewersfriend tool, it could look something like:

12 lbs 2 row
1.5 pound caramel 45
.5 carapils

Probably going to mash this one a little bit lower to help dry it out just a little bit. THinking around 152 or 153

Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Asheville_Thumper
Recipes 

Thanks for posting this recipe!

I'm definitely going to brew this one after I free up some space in the freezer. I've been enjoying the 2013 Celebration for the past month, and I just can't seem to get enough of it!

Quick question for anybody who might know. Is there a reason for the 90 minute boil with this recipe? I've used 90 minute boils in the past when recipes had a large percentage of pilsner in the grain bill.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
WeissGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly, I think they might use 12 pounds of marris otter. The website says "2 Row" but MO is a 2 row barley. It is a little darker in color, so to hit the 10 SRM mark you need to only use exactly 1 pound of UK Crystal 45, and with half pound carapils it comes to exactly 6.8% ABV. Using a pound of caramel in a 5 gallon batch makes more sense to me than 1.75, just based on experience. Would be interesting to have a batch brewed this way, a batch brewed your way, and an SN Celebration all to compare side by side.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
ronarse
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the masses, I just got a response from SN:

Hello Ron,

Thanks for reaching out. The recipe you outlined is pretty close. I have included a homebrew recipe suggestion provided by our product manager. I hope this helps. Best of luck and please let us know if you have any additional questions. Cheers!

Celebration:
o Malts:
o Pale 2-row: 89%
o Caramel (60L): 9%

o Mash at 157.5 F
o Original Gravity: 16.0 Plato
o Ending Gravity: 4.0 Plato
o ABV: 6.8%

o Hops
o 0 min: Chinook & Centennial
o 90 min: Cascade
o 100 min: 2/3 Cascade & 1/3 Centennial
o 100 min: Whirlpool

o IBU: 65
o Dry Hopped with 2/3 Cascade & 1/3 Centennial
o Yeast: California Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
530.893.3520 x1218
f: @SierraNevadabeer | t: @SierraNevada

Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
bredle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissGuy View Post
Honestly, I think they might use 12 pounds of marris otter. The website says "2 Row" but MO is a 2 row barley. It is a little darker in color, so to hit the 10 SRM mark you need to only use exactly 1 pound of UK Crystal 45, and with half pound carapils it comes to exactly 6.8% ABV. Using a pound of caramel in a 5 gallon batch makes more sense to me than 1.75, just based on experience. Would be interesting to have a batch brewed this way, a batch brewed your way, and an SN Celebration all to compare side by side.
Our keg just kicked last night, and I'm already missing it! I think the Caramel analysis is right, this is a good beer as is but would probably be better with a little less Caramel (which would also fall in line with what SN e-mailed Ronarse - showing about 9% of recipe malt). I sent a few bottles to a buddy in Michigan, and he agreed that it's a good beer, but could use a little less maltiness. I'm not sure how much that will affect the color (which is dead on with SN Celebration) - but I'll take taste over color any day.

A little less caramel, and about the same hop schedule, and this will remain in my holiday rotation lineup.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
ronarse
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You know, this year's Celebration does seem a little "browner" than usual. I think it only used to have a reddish hue.

Quick Reply