Ruination Redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
US05
Yeast Starter
NA
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NA
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Stone Ruination IPA Redux PM

Note: based off the AHS Ruination PM Clone kit with a modification to the hop schedule

14-B American IPA

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 79.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 243.28 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.073 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 10.0 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.19% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 115.67 (40.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
8.5 lbs Pale Liquid
2.25 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter for 10-14 days
0.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56

I tasted the hydro sample today and WOW, what a great, hoppy beer. Its a nice golden color and has a clean bite to it. The bitterness bite sticks with you for a few minutes after tasting. I cant wait to get this one in the bottle, and its going to be a keeper recipe from now on. Thanks a bunch!

Greg

SW Brewer said:
I tasted the hydro sample today and WOW, what a great, hoppy beer. Its a nice golden color and has a clean bite to it. The bitterness bite sticks with you for a few minutes after tasting. I cant wait to get this one in the bottle, and its going to be a keeper recipe from now on. Thanks a bunch!

Greg

Glad that its rocking the hop right to yer face! I can't take credit cept for an alteration to the schedule.....AHS does Stone right!

I just finished a keg of the BYO clone. Pretty close but the aroma was off a bit but the hoppiness was right on. Very good. I love Ruination!

i know this is an old post but i have to say it.I have a ruination clone bubbling right now and everyone that iv'e seen uses either magnum or warrior for bittering.Not that it'll make a big flavor difference but the stone web site says they use columbus

Anyone else brew this recipe lately? I'm going to rack to secondary and dry hop tomorrow...The hydro sample is pretty damn good. I used columbus for bittering, and I will be using cascade for the dry hop. I am using whole leaf for the dry hop. Any harm in just dropping the leaves into the carboy? I've read about the bags and marbles to get the hops to sink, but I dont have any marbles. Will I still get good hop aroma/flavor by just tossing in the leaves?

Can't wait to drink this one!

I keep meaning to go back and brew this AG but something always jumps in the way. I've got a slew of whole leaf Centennial so the time might be right!

Monghetti: I dry hop w/ whole leaf loose. You get great results but you usually need to filter out any of the leaf matter that makes it into your bottling bucket. I usually use a sanitized piece of window screen over the bucket spigot on the inside of the bucket.

Back