American IPA Purring Kitten Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP006 Bedford
Yeast Starter
Yes-700ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Big grapefruity gorgeous nose, solid body, nice finish.
Of my 3 Session IPA attempts this has been by far the best. How can you beat a nice hoppy 3.5% beer?

UPDATE: This scored a 42 and won its category (Specialty 23) at the 2012 Las Vegas SNAFU Memorial & it ended up getting 2nd place in Best Of Show out of roughly 160 entries.

10/1/13 UPDATE: Version 2 of this recipe is here on Page 5.

10/19/13 UPDATE: Version 2 took 2nd out of 36 entries in Category 14 at XBrew 2013 in Redmond, WA and scored 40.6.

10/27/13 UPDATE: Version 2 took 2nd of 26 entries in the 2013 SNAFU Memorial Sheldon Jackson Competition for Best Use of Hops in Las Vegas, NV.

Grain Bill:

5.5lb 2row
1.25lb Vienna
0.75lb White Wheat
7oz Crystal 40
5oz Crystal 60
4oz Aromatic

BIAB
Mash Schedule: 152 for 60min
Mash out at 170 for 10min

Hop Schedule:

First Wort Hop - 11g Columbus 15.2AA
15m - 20g Centennial 11.4AA + 20g Falconers Flight 11.4AA
5m - 20g Centennial 11.4AA
0m - 28g Falconers Flight, 29g Nelson Sauvin, 17g Columbus
Dry Hops - 30g Columbus, 37g Nelson Sauvin for 4 days

Water was all RO with the mineral values built to: 117ppm Calcium, 22ppm Magnesium, 48ppm Chloride, & 182ppm Sulfates.

Nice. I have a couple of good simple recipes for a session IPA.

I do one that is very similar to this grain bill...2 row, vienna, biscuit

I also do one that is 2 row, wheat, munich, and crystal 15 or biscuit.

Any photos?

I think I'm gonna give this one a go...thanks for sharing! What was your fermentation temperature?

Yeast was White Labs 006 British Bedford (a Platinum strain). Something British will prob be your best replacement. Look for similar attenuation. Ferm temp was 65-68 (swamp cooler with ice) for first week or so and then 68-71 (no ice/out of cooler) for the remainder.

I'm gonna brew this tonight. hoping it all goes well. i've been a little rusty on my first couple brews since the summer break.

i brewed a version of this a few weeks ago, and has been in the bottle for almost a week now. i'm dying to try it, so i'm cracking one this sunday. my version used nelson sauvin/centennial/cascade as dryhop, and used wlp001 instead of english ale yeast. pre-bottling samples smelled and tasted wonderful :) good luck!!!

Quick question on boil time. Is there a reason to do a 60min boil on this recipe? Aside from 11g of first wort hops (1/3 of an oz.. very small), you don't have a hop addition until the t-15min mark. I wonder how different the flavor profile would be if you dropped it to a 30 min boil. Wish I had time for two batches this weekend or I'd try it.

Hard to say. I generally don't do less than 60 and often do 90 min boils. I'd assume the first wort hops boiling for more or less time would make a difference, but I can't say definitively.

Just wondering how you got such a high final gravity (1.017!) with 152 mash temperature. I looked up the yeast (never used) and WL claims 72-80%, which would seem to want to take it lower. I don't BIAB, but I wouldn't think that'd be an issue, unless you were at a higher infusion temp than you thought.

Tom - Don't be making fun of me homeslice! That's a word yo!

Rich - It is possible parts of my mash were running higher, although I generally test pretty extensively as deep as I can with my thermapen. I used a starter but it may have been an older vial. All I know is I was very happy with the end result & recognized 1.017 was quite high. I successfully bottle conditioned as well fyi.

i'm going to brew another version of this session this month. it will be on wlp001 again, and gonna try to use mosaic in place of centennial. this recipe and the beer are both excellent. give it a shot!

Can you confirm this hop schedule? When I plug the values into the IBU calculator on brewersfriend, I get 62 IBU, which seems a bit high.

I think I'm going to give this recipe a shot, but will probably make some hop subs. Just wondering what BU/GU ratio to shoot for.

I used Rager for the IBU calculations instead of BeerSmith's default of Tinseth. I switched to Rager to be able to use many of Jamil's recipe as a point of reference.

she'll love it!

just brewed this one again on saturday. it was done for a homebrew club event so kinda jacked the hops a bit - used columbus/amarillo/citra in different combinations this time. and as mentioned above i used 001 for that clean, dry, so cal profile :) can't wait to try it!

I'm not against using MO but it takes on an english character and the color will definitely darken. If that's what you're after, go for it :) I like mine more hop centric and MO adds another malt characteristic. Again, nothing wrong with that :)

Brewing up a small batch version of this today. Had to make a few mods though. Using flaked wheat instead of white wheat, Chinook instead of Columbus for bittering, and more FF for the Columbus dry-hop addition. The combination of Nelson Sauvin and FF smells amazing!

Our cat has started biting my ankles recently, so this brew will be dubbed Ankle-biter IPA.

Brewing up a small batch version of this today. Had to make a few mods though. Using flaked wheat instead of white wheat, Chinook instead of Columbus for bittering, and more FF for the Columbus dry-hop addition. The combination of Nelson Sauvin and FF smells amazing!

Our cat has started biting my ankles recently, so this brew will be dubbed Ankle-biter IPA.

I approve of all those modifications. Should be good!

Brewed this today. Hbs didn't have Nelson so I subbed bravo. Also couldn't get the Bedford yeast so used London ale yeast instead. Brewed this for a Memorial Day BBQ for work, with the combo of hops I think it will be awesome. Just curious of how the color and clarity will turn out because of my greatness I forgot to turn on the water for my chiller until about half way through. The fermenter has a crazy cold break seperation going on from half the wort bring chilled a lot and half not. Sounds like a great brew though!

imag1011.jpg

I shot high on the priming sugar to turn the beer around quickly for the contest btw.

Just wanted to report back on this. Cracked my first bottle from this batch over the weekend. 3 weeks in the bottle and it was delicious! Might be my favorite beer I've brewed so far.

Wish I had tried one earlier. Thanks for the great recipe!

BGBC said:
Might be my favorite beer I've brewed so far.

Apparently others agreed. Entered this beer in my first comp and it was selected for the final round (top 30 out of 100+). Thanks again for the recipe. You can bring any beer to the final round, but this one's on my short list to brew again for it.

Picked up the score sheets today, not a BJCP event, but scored a 33/50. Comments: "Slightly overcarbonated for the style, cloudy, good hop aroma, grassy and dank. No off flavors."

Sounds like you brewed it well. May need a longer cold crash. I love having a beer like this around because you can always have a couple to get your hop fix and wake up the next day feeling solid.

i have another version fermenting right now, using rye and honey malts instead of wheat and aromatic, and is loaded with citra and columbus (dryhopping today!) :) this one is dubbed Rye Kittens. tapping in 2 weeks!

Back