American IPA Private Reserve IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP 007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
1/2 gal
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days
NOTE: This recipe is for 3.5 gallons of finished beer, not 5. If you disregard this you will be disappointed.

5 lbs Extra Pale LME
2.5 lbs Marris Otter Malt
1 lb Crystal 20L

.5 oz Chinook 60 min; pellets; 12.0% AA
.5 oz Chinook 40 min.
.5 oz Amarillo 30 min; pellets; 8.4% AA
.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo 2 min.

WLP 007 Dry English Ale Yeast

This was my first attempt at PM. I mashed with 1 gal at 153*F for 1 hour, then sparged with 2 gal at 170*F.

I did the primary in a 5 gal carboy (usually a secondary), then transfered to 3 x 1 gal and 1 x 1/2 gal glass jugs. 1 gal was put on ~.5 oz oak, 1 gal was dry hopped with .5 oz Amarillo, and the final 1.5 gal was kept as a "control".

I like this yeast, and I have used it a few times since. It is very chunky.

I called it Private Reserve because there was only 3.5 gallons of it, so not too much was given away.

The dry hopped version came out the best. I dont think that I will ever make an IPA with out dry hopping again. The style pretty much calls for it. The oaking was subtle. I will experiment with this more in the future.

If you have ideas, especially on the hops let me know. And if yo make it be sure to post on how it is.

- magno

Back