Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Middle Child

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #31
fidjit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Adding this one to the brew list!

-fidjit

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Kegged: Kolsh
Planned: Witbeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #32
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad people are liking this. The higher mash temp is akin to Lagunitas IPA where it gets a very solid malty backbone, but it is also higher in alcohol. I really enjoy how "soft" it is for being so big and bold. Delicious for sure! So much response, I just moved this up to the top of my list of things to brew again! Just did up a lighter summer beer, then maybe a quick pale ale to fill the void, and then this guy again just in time for harvest...woo hoo!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #33
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just bought the ingredients to do this fellow up again. Maybe I will throw it together while I do my Barleywine this Friday. Busy brewday. Start early morning with this and then onto the Barleywine for a long ass day full of debauchery. I will try to take some pictures along the day, though I need to have a smaller glass than my last brewday

I am going to go with Columbus at 60min as I have that on hand and the rest will be the same

Hey Baja Brewer, how did yours turn out in the end? Did it dry out too much for it or did it retain the malty profile?

Last edited by Matt Up North; 12-16-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #34
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I just bought the ingredients to do this fellow up again. Maybe I will throw it together while I do my Barleywine this Friday. Busy brewday. Start early morning with this and then onto the Barleywine for a long ass day full of debauchery. I will try to take some pictures along the day, though I need to have a smaller glass than my last brewday

I am going to go with Columbus at 60min as I have that on hand and the rest will be the same

Hey Baja Brewer, how did yours turn out in the end? Did it dry out too much for it or did it retain the malty profile?
Yah! Go for it!

Mine turned out really well actually, not as dry as I was worried about... I should really get a few different thermometers and compare them, but was slightly malty and very drinkable. I think I have a keg left of this at home (did a 10 gallon batch) but I'm not sure. I need to get a minifridge and throw together another kegerator for myself so I can tap it!

What recipe are you using for a barleywine? I have a very long "to brew" list at this point, and a barleywine is right up there with my double chocolate stout, need to get those suckers aging! I'm going to be picking up a 55# bag of light DME and I think I'll be using that to up my gravity when it comes barleywine time.... I've been stuck in my apartment for the past few months and havent been able to brew

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #35
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am thinking of just throwing some malts together and making a really high alcohol beer. Probably like 30lbs two row, a little six row, some chocolate, some wheat and some crystal. Maybe even some victory, munich or vienna for a little something different. Aiming for at least 1.100.

You better get on that IPA otherwise you are going to lose all of the hop aromatics.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #36
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

This recipe looks interesting. I should point out that RR makes a great IPA, sold only on tap, that is like a Pliny light, much less harsh than Blind Pig. Perhaps this is closer to that?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #37
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Negative there Ghost Rider. They have the Russian River IPA which is still a pretty hearty IPA. Then coming up in a month is the Pliny the Younger, which is a 10% IIPA that is really tasty. This Pliny the Middle child is a bit more body than Pliny the Elder because of the higher mash temp and higher final gravity. However, I really find Pliny the Elder to have a bit crisper hop flavor most likely due to the extracts that they are using and the lower FG. I get a bit more of a leafy hop flavor (like the flavor of cooked herbs, where you taste the actual leaf and not just the high flavors) in this IPA since it uses hops and not the oils only.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #38
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
However, I really find Pliny the Elder to have a bit crisper hop flavor most likely due to the extracts that they are using and the lower FG. I get a bit more of a leafy hop flavor (like the flavor of cooked herbs, where you taste the actual leaf and not just the high flavors) in this IPA since it uses hops and not the oils only.
But the extracts are acids, only for bittering, per Vinnie. Flavor comes from the oils. Does this make sense with what you are saying?

I'm not sure what evil magic Vinnie is doing to dry hop in such amounts without getting gassy notes. I'd sure like to follow him around for a day though, PtY in hand.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #39
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, that is what I am saying. You get all of the high notes and acids when using the extracts. When using the hops you can taste the character of the hop leaf/pellet, which is a different kind of flavor. In the end though, this still is a little higher FG and so is technically a different beer in many many ways. I really wanted a highly hopped beer that was absolutely screaming hops in its aroma in the way that Pliny the Elder does. I was quite happy with how this turned out in that manor.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #40
brewmasterjjfad
Recipes 

Default Just send Vinnie a message

Vinnie is always willing to talk to us homebrewers and answer questions. One time we sat down and he talked the whole process of Pliny from start to finish. From what I remember he uses 2 row and Carapils with very light crystal 15L and quite a bit of sugar. He prefers to mash low as he likes it to dry out. CZT hops are a must. He also dry hops warm and cold because they contribute different flavors at different temps.

Quick Reply