Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Middle Child

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How is it tasting now? Picture

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This came out excellently for me. I used Northern Brewer for bittering and Cascade for aroma addition and dry hopping, and used US-05 for yeast (added 2 packets directly to the full 1/2 bbl sankey fermenter.)

OG = 1.064 and FG = 1.012, so it came out nice and dry but still had good malt flavor that imparted a sweetness that was only very slightly and nicely balanced by the small amount of rye this recipe calls for... It is very clear and has a superb copper color. I am going to modify this slightly to achieve a slightly lighter summer ale with lemon zest, and then am going to use the original recipe again (only with NB hops again) but with US-04 to see the difference.

This beer would be an outstanding beer to always have on tap.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #23
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
How is it tasting now? Picture
Matt, this is really good. For me, it is just hitting it's stride now (been bottled 3-4 weeks or so). The elements of delicious were there in the beginning, but there was a roughness to it, especially from the dry-hop I think....I don't know if I got funky cascades or if whole leaf hops would do better in this application......now this beer is smooth, the roughness and unpleasant bite of the hops is rounded off and in check while still retaining tons of hop flavor.....in short, it's delicious. I just cracked one to sample and ended up chugging the last half of the pint because it was so drinkable and I was thirsty. Good IPA for those of us that like a bigger malt thing with our hoppiness.

I had an IPA at the great dane brew pub here in town yesterday that was like a thin, watery version of this one.....just as bitter but no shine to it. This one has developed a shine.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Great to hear that it worked well for you guys. I am thinking it is about time to put this one on again, though I just made up an IPA. What to do, what to do

Old 06-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #25
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Matt, thanks again for the original recipe. My changes were slightly larger batch volume, 3.5 oz No.Brewer at 60 min and 3 oz Cascade at 5 min, 3 oz of Cascade after 5 days (dry-hopped,) plus US-05. ABV was 6.95% - less than the original recipe, but along with the dryer finish it is pretty drinkable and possible to have a couple or three.

Last Sunday, I made it again, twice! Once the same way as above. And a second time with a pound less of the Victory malt, replacement of half the pale malt with pilsen, 6 oz of lemon zest, and US-04. Both keg fermenters have been blowing off strongly for a couple of days and are only now slowing down. The latter was meant to try to create a slightly summerized version of this brew.

Thanks again Matt!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cheers! I like the victory flavor in the IPA and love the flavor of Cascade and Centennial dry hopped together. If you go back and read the version two recipe, I think that it is more IPA styled for those super bitter lovers (the Chinook dry hopping), but to me the original recipe stands taller. I also like its simplicity of both grains and hops.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #27
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You guys have any of this left? My keg lasted a measly month.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #28
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Doing this up as we speak. I couldn't get any Golden Promise...so I have to go with normal two row... I hope it will still turn out favorable!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 08-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #29
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you are using American, it will come out just fine because of the mash temp. It will just a be a touch lighter in the color. I am about to brew this again, though I just brewed up my
<------Easy Imperial IPA, which means that I have some IIPA already on tap!

Let me know when you brew this khuygie88 and take a picture if you can. They tell a hundred words like x10.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #30
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Once I have it tapped I will take a picture for sure. I'm excited for this, IPAs and IIPAs are the best!

I only hit 153-154 for my mash temperature, so I'm guessing it will come out a little more dry than I want. Today I had a revelation in terms of solving my problem of never knowing my pre-boil volume. I used my bottling bucket (the True Brew kit one) and used the lines on it. 4 gallons of first runnings at 1.117, and double batch sparge with 5 gallons at 1.059 and 4 gallons more at 1.0xx which made my cumulative pre-boil 13 gallons at 1.067. Now if everyone already does this, I'm an idiot. But if not, it works well. Since the hot wort never sits in the bucket for longer than probably 5-10 min I'm not worried about plastic nastys hurting my wort...

And I LOVE my refractometer... probably my 5th batch w/ it this summer and I am now in the habit of taking readings and jotting them down quick like (doesnt take more than 20 seconds anyways)

Thanks for the recipe Matt!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Quick Reply