Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Middle Child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, it's in the can.....I did it up the minute my order came, just because I could and I needed to get my brewing fix before my long work-weekend. My efficiency has been suffering due to sparge problems lately, and this batch was no exception, I think I only got about 60-62% efficiency, and 1.068-69 gravity, but I think it should still turn out darn good, if not exactly the same. I'm going to give it an extra week or three in the fermentor or secondary it, since I'm bottling and I need it to clear up before racking, but I'll post up how it turned out. thanks for the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds great. Don't worry about efficiency problems. I over boiled and got 1.078 on my batch. Be sure that if you are going to leave it the extra time to push the dry hopping out longer. In other words, if you are going to keep this in the fermentor for 4 weeks then DH on week 3 instead of week 2. You want that fresh hop flavor to just leap from the glass when you pour it.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Matt, I was thinking about double dry-hopping. say, doing it once at week two (in a hop bag) and then again at week three. I have 6 ounces of cascade and 2 ounces of centennial sitting here, as well as some summit (another nice citrusy hop). I love a balanced IPA full of resiny hop goodness.....what do you think about a double dry hop?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I think that it would change a bit of the character. Instead, just chuck it all in. I really wanted the aroma to come out of the glass for the "clone" here as that is what Pliny does. It just throws hop aroma at you from across the room.

If you want resiny, then go for version two dry hopping schedule with the Chinook addition. It is absolutely killing me with resin and citrus.

The real key that I have figured out is that Pliny is Malty with hop aroma. So make your beer malty and give it as much hop aroma as possible. It doesn't kill your mouth with bitter, resin or anything else. Also it isn't as dry as most other IPA's. It's not like DFH 90 or 120 where it is sweet and syrupy. Instead it is a very dry Barleywine that is not overly bitter with the hop addition. That is what I was striving for when I made this IPA. Aromatic hops...

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So far, I'm impressed! I just took a hydro sample (day 8 today) as it had stopped bubbling for a couple days and then picked back up to a bubble or two a minute....I got curious. The flavor is awesome already, and it is already pretty clean for only 8 days old....I may be bottling sooner than anticipated. It's sitting right at 1.020 and it likely will stay there (or drop a point or two, which will be fine), but it's nice and malty with a strong "C" hop flavor and the dry-hop should kick it up to great heights. I've never had a "pliny" yet but we're moving to Oregon this year so maybe I'll find some out there. anyhow, I'm giving this my preliminary seal of awesomeness.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Take a picture of it!

When i tasted my hydro sample I was dismayed. I was like, "Where the hell is the hops, this is all malt, Son of a Bitch!" Then I dry hopped it and holy shiznit was it the most awesome IPA.

Glad to hear that you are on the way for delicious beer.

PS...did you do a 10 gallon batch?

Last edited by Matt Up North; 05-08-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

maybe it's because I was expecting the maltiness when I tasted it. I think I'm with you on IPA's. I like them as malty beers with mad amounts of hop flavor and aroma. The IPA's I don't like so much are the ones that are just wicked bitter hop vehicles with little to no malt presence. they need to be balanced, IMO.

No, I wish I could do 10 gallon batches, but I'm still hacking it out on a turkey fryer and a 7.5 gallon boilover vessel.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

When the beer turns out and you can taste it proper, post up the recipe used since I posted a 10 gallon recipe.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here you go, I'll just post it up.

There is a bar in the town over from mine called Nutz Deep II, and I scratch my head every time I pass it and wonder what that name is all about (and where or what became of Nutz Deep I).....hence my 'name' in beersmith......take it or leave it.

Oh, and I added 2 lbs of maris otter because I only had 10lbs of Golden Promise. using all GP would be nearly the same, enit?

Nutz Deep I(n)-P(liny)-A(le)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.25

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Golden Promise (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.5 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 12.9 %
2.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 12.9 %
1.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50%] (60 min) Hops 36.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.10%] (60 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [7.10%] (5 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2 Pkgs Safale american ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 54.9 IBU
Est Color: 13.0 SRM

Last edited by snailsongs; 05-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So, (got your PM, Matt) It's been bottled for 4 days now, and I tried one yesterday from a sixer I put near a heat source to carb up faster....it's already shaping up to be a great beer! I can tell that once it's done conditioning it's going to be superb. My SRM'age ended up somewhere in between the two pics you have on the thread (for v1 and v2). Last night, just for kicks, I sat and contemplated this one alongside Black Lab's Orange/Cascade pale recipe (another winner). Both are great and now, with an Amarillo Amber in the fermentor as of this morning, I will have a full arsenal of american Ales to drink over the next few months.

I think it's a myth that dry-hopping does not add bitterness to beer. It really did a dance to this brew; took it from an awesomely delicious barleywine-ish beer to an awesomely hopped IPA.....

Quick Reply