Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Middle Child

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default All-Grain - Pliny the Middle Child

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 50
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 12
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: Malty, Hoppy Aroma, Perfect Bitterness

So I set about to make an IPA that was hoppy enough for my friends and balanced enough for me. I like both of the Pliny IPA's by Russian River. I love their Younger when it comes out, but didn't follow either recipe at all (I don't know of one that really exists to match the taste precisely), so really this isn't a Pliny at all. It is the closest thing to their style that I have ever tasted though (since they are just down the street ). Really, I would call this a poor mans Pliny at around $50 for 5 Gallons, rather than the $100+ I see elsewhere.

I used a total of 10.5oz of hops (for 10gal) and think that I could get that down a smidgen more in order to keep the hops at less than $50. I also might see adding (for those of you that like to) about another two oz of Cascade at flameout or hopback for even more hop aroma. I don't really like my IPA overly bitter, so I set about creating enough bitterness to let you know it was an IPA, but really have all of the Hops go into the Aroma production.

After posting how this beer made a tear come to my eye and getting some responses, I decided to post the recipe official. Let me know what you think. Lastly is that the IBU's don't take the DH into consideration. So I have been told by a brewer friend that he counts the DH addition somehow and that is why I am only putting this guy at 50 IBU. Trust me though, there is enough bitter in this guy for even the most staunch IPA HopHead.

OG 1.070 / FG 1.020 / IBU 50 / SRM 12

11 Gallon Batch
13 Gallon Boil
Used the fan technique to help with boil off

Malts

22 lbs Golden Promise (British Two Row)
4 lbs Victory
1 lb Rye
1 lb Crystal 60L

Hops

2oz Chinook 11.8%AA (60 min)
1oz Cascade 5.7%AA (60 min)
3oz Cascade 5.7%AA (5 min)
1oz Irish Moss (15 min)

2oz Cascade 5.7%AA (Dry Hopped after 5 Days for 7 Days)
2.5oz Centennial 9.7%AA (Dry Hopped after 5 days for 7 days)

EDIT: Should you want to, you can up the base IBU's to closer to 60, however this amount of dry hopping really makes the beer be both malty and super aromatically hop driven. Also, you can always attempt to get 1.075 by adding two more lbs of base malt.

Mashed at 157 for an hour, sparged with 167* water, boiled 90 min, pitched at 78* with two packets of US-05.

Fermented at 63* for five days, added pellets directly into the primary fermenter and swirled gently to get them wet. Fermented another 10 Days and then racked into keg.

This beer is so freaking good. There is no other way to put it. Everyone that I tasted on this was a happy camper and had another pint. Even SWMBO liked it and she doesn't like IPA at all. It is a beast with Hop aroma and just flies out of the glass even before you see it. When you taste it, there is a nice malty/bitter balance that plays well off itself. Just watch out, I got 1.078 at 7.5% this is an easy beer to drink too many of

3/24/09 - I just brewed up a second version of this using only Chinook in the bittering to 50 IBU and no Cascade at 5min. Mashed at 153 and it came out at just 1.080, I will dry hop on the 29th with Chinook, Centennial and Cascade. I tweaked the malts a bit to get it a little lighter at 9 SRM instead of 12. Going to aim for lighter still next time, perhaps with some Crystal 20L instead of the 40L I used for v.2. I will keep you informed on v.2

3/29/09 - Dry hopped v.2 with half ounce of Chinook, half ounce of Centennial and an ounce of Cascade. It attenuated lower than v.1 and has a more balanced perception prior to the dry hopping. I think that it might end up a little thinner, but that can be fixed with a touch more rye or flaked something.

4/3/09 - v.2 is kegged. It is really nice and piney, crisp and well attenuated. Came in at...8.9% abv with FG 1.013 Will let you know when carbonated.

Last edited by Matt Up North; 08-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds great! Definitely something I'd like to try.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Dubcut
Recipes 

Thanks man, I put it in my beer tools to try sometime soon. Good luck on the second batch, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

on deck - Rum/Bourbon Porters, ipa
carboy - Oktoberfest lager
carboy - Oktoberfest S-05 (could be contaminated)
bucket -
keg 1 - Saison
keg 2 -
keg 3 -
keg 4 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 5 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 6 -

Old 03-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just did up a growler of this boy for myself and drank the entire thing last night! Woke up this morning with hop breath. Yeesh. I feel great and didn't get too bad last night even though after 64 oz, you are there.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So I just updated what happened with version two and man is it slick. I just can't explain how much I love me some US-05. That is the **** yeast that every beer needs to be made with.

Two things about v.2. First off is that I mashed lower which brought the attenuation to an out of this world number, 85%. Next is that as mentioned, the alcohol is at 8.9% and a beast. The dry hopping worked well and I think that once carbonated this version will be the right flavor, though needs some flaked barley or flaked oats into it, in order to smooth out the mouthfeel a bit. That or just mash a little higher to keep the FG around 1.016.

After tasting it I realize that it is a little bit too dry (hops, attenuation, alcohol). This is green now though, so it will be nice a month down the road. It isn't however as accurate an example of a plinyesque clone. Good IPA, bad Pliny. So I will mash a little higher next time to keep the attenuation lower and a nice malty beer.

Last edited by Matt Up North; 04-11-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Version 2 Recipe - a.k.a. Last Otter IPA

Last Otter IPA - because it is a fine IPA, just not Pliny the Middle Child v.2

5.5 gallon batch, kegged 4.5 gallons
OG 1.080 / FG 1.013 / SRM 9 / IBU 50 / ABV 8.87%

11.75 lbs Maris Otter - 78%
2 lbs Victory - 13%
.5 lb Red Wheat - 3%
.5 lb Crystal 40L - 3%
.25 lb Crystal 60L - 2%

1.5oz Chinook @ 60min
.5oz Chinook DH on day 5 for 5 days
.5oz Centennial DH on day 5 for 5 days
1 oz Cascade DH on day 5 for 5 days

Irish Moss
1 packet US-05 Yeast

75 minute mash @ 153*, 60 minute boil, fermented at 61* for 10 days and then into the keg to begin conditioning.

I was going to leave it for 14 days, but I brewed on a strange schedule and would not have been able to get to it until day 17 or something and I didn't want the dry hopping to go too long. It is clean and delicious. More bite, less malt, strong hop acid and perfect for the IPA fans.

Meanwhile, at the legion of doom...

I will keep trying, as you notice it has less color than the first, which is a step in the right direction of Pliny the Younger. The thing is, I am trying to get to light color with the balanced malty. So I think using Crystal 20L at a pound, crystal 40L at .5lb and putting the rye back in (light and malty) should really help it out. The hopping has to have more than just a bittering addition. I am thinking of the cascade hopback or at the last 5 minutes will really help with a citrusy kind of bitter. Nix the chinook dry hopping. It just adds a dark hop flavor and I am really looking for a very aromatic hop more than a pungent aroma.

And there you have, version two.

Last edited by Matt Up North; 05-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This IS a dumb question, but I feel compelled to ask for some reason. If I sub Maris Otter for the Golden Promise, will that drastically change this IPA?....the first recipe, BTW. it looks like my kind of IPA. also, flaked rye, rye malt, or does it matter?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Two answers for your two questions.

1. Maris Otter and Golden Promise are english, but different. Drastically changed, no. Different, yes.

2. Flaked rye to me has a spicy flavor, more so than Malted Rye. I went with Malted Rye in the Pliny recipe because it really adds a nice malty tone that I like a lot, so go with the malted rye in order to see the original recipe through.

v.2 is a different beast all the way. I like it as a beer, but it is so different and very crisp and citrusy. The Middle Child is so much more like Pliny that I can't even explain it.

Last edited by Matt Up North; 04-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
Two answers for your two questions.

1. Maris Otter and Golden Promise are english, but different. Drastically change, no. Different, yes.

2. Flaked rye to me has a spicy flavor, more so than Malted Rye. I went with Malted Rye in the Pliny recipe because it really adds a nice malty tone that I like a lot, so go with the malted rye in order to see the original recipe through.

v.2 is a different beast all the way. I like it as a beer, but it is so different and very crisp and citrusy. The Middle Child is so much more like Pliny that I can't even explain it.
Thanks, Matt. I just ordered the stuff I needed for this, including Golden Promise.....I've been wanting to try it out anyway, despite my large sack of MO. I'm going to be faithful to your recipe and process.....you sure about 157F? seems high to me for the style, but I'm taking your word for it ( it's probably why it's so good, right?) Oh, and is there a benefit or reason for pitching at 78 and then dropping to 63? I usually chill my brews to fermentation temps before pitching. thanks again, I'm stoked about doing this - It'll be my first IPA!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here is what happened. I mashed in around 156-157 and it really held at that temp. I was aiming for 155. Honestly, with US-05, it got to 1.020 because of a well maintained fermentation and temperature. Had I used a different yeast, I would never in a million years have mashed that high. If you are not able to maintain your temperature through mashing or fermentation, then mash it a little lower in order to get enough attenuation. If this goes to as low as 1.016 that is alright. You just want to keep a higher FG, between 1.016 and 1.020. Less than that and you will get too dry and not malty enough of a beer.

I like to pitch a little warmer to make sure that my yeast gets a good start and there is a little less lag time. In my setup it will get down to around sixty over the course of the night and then ferments close to 63*. No worries on keeping it warm, because US-05 is a beast.

Lastly, when I mashed v.2 IPA at 154 for 75 minutes it attenuated a lot, so make sure to get at least 155 if not even 156 for 60 minutes.

Good luck and post when you make this

Quick Reply