Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #81
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
How critical is the second dry hop? I'm in a 5 gallon secondary and the first round hasn't even soaked up yet' and I doubt another round would even get wet.

Also - I put the hops in the fermenter loose because I couldn't squeeze the 3oz hop bag through the hole. There's got to be a better way to dry hop
My columbus was pellets, so there's a ton of debris in the beer now. Any advice on filtering this when I keg? I just have an auto siphon.

Tasted great - real grapefruity. My OG was 1.070 and I'm at 1.012 right now.
I use a Auto-Siphon with a hop bag over the tip. I did it with whole flowers as well and while I was pleased with the result of the beer, even with a 6 gallon batch I ended up with ~4.25 gallons of beer due to loss in the dry hop. As you did, I skipped the second dry hop due to the fact I couldn't fit anything else in the carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #82
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed a 2.5G extract version of this last Thursday. My volume came out to about 2.75G because I'm a noob and haven't been able to get my volume right on a full boil recipe yet.

Anyway, I used Mr. Malty's recommended starter size and within about 6 hours I was racing to get a blowoff tube on my 3G carboy. There was a fair amount of blowoff and it looks like most of the krausen has fallen, but there is still some foam on the surface. I was planning to take a gravity reading tomorrow and again on Sunday, hoping to start the first dryhop if readings are stable and the rest of the krausen has fallen.

Since I don't have another properly sized container for this batch I was just planning to dryhop in primary. Is this a good idea or should I find something else to dryhop in? If the krausen hasn't fallen and I'm getting stable gravity readings should I wait to dryhop?

Since this is only my sixth batch, and first clone attempt, taste is what really matters to me. Clarity would be a bonus, but isn't a concern.

Thanks!

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #83
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
I brewed a 2.5G extract version of this last Thursday. My volume came out to about 2.75G because I'm a noob and haven't been able to get my volume right on a full boil recipe yet.

Anyway, I used Mr. Malty's recommended starter size and within about 6 hours I was racing to get a blowoff tube on my 3G carboy. There was a fair amount of blowoff and it looks like most of the krausen has fallen, but there is still some foam on the surface. I was planning to take a gravity reading tomorrow and again on Sunday, hoping to start the first dryhop if readings are stable and the rest of the krausen has fallen.

Since I don't have another properly sized container for this batch I was just planning to dryhop in primary. Is this a good idea or should I find something else to dryhop in? If the krausen hasn't fallen and I'm getting stable gravity readings should I wait to dryhop?

Since this is only my sixth batch, and first clone attempt, taste is what really matters to me. Clarity would be a bonus, but isn't a concern.

Thanks!
Primary is good if you are using pellets. I'd recommend a bag or a secondary for dh if using whole.

Wait until it's done fermenting to dh. krausen will drop. Check gravity if it's at day 8 if you want or just roll for another week or so.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #84
springtime
Recipes 

Just received another extract Pliny the elder clone kit from Ausitn Homebrew. The first one I had brewed came out so incredibly good I cannot be without it. I have three bottles of Pliney arriving at my house this Monday and will do a side by side tasting at some point next week. I highly recommend the AHB pliny kit. I will keep you all posted on the tasting once completed.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #85
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

one thing i have not seen mention in this thread is the fact that RR uses hop extract to bitter Pliny (and other beers). this is not a secret, lots of breweries are using hop extract for bittering, nor am i knocking RR for doing it, the quality of the bittering is going to be hard to replicate at home. i bought some hop extract (hop union product) to see where that takes me when i attempt my Pliny clone.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #86
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
one thing i have not seen mention in this thread is the fact that RR uses hop extract to bitter Pliny (and other beers). this is not a secret, lots of breweries are using hop extract for bittering, nor am i knocking RR for doing it, the quality of the bittering is going to be hard to replicate at home. i bought some hop extract (hop union product) to see where that takes me when i attempt my Pliny clone.
The regular non-extracted recipe that Vinnie gives out tastes pretty much identical to commercial Pliny the Elder to my palate. The reason he uses hop extract is to avoid having to use the sheer vegetal mass (which can give a touch of chlorophyll or veggie taste), but I haven't really noticed a flavor like even boiling three and a half ounces of Columbus for 90 minutes. I think its hard to notice it with the amount of bitterness and hop flavor.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #87
fifthcircle
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used "hop shots" when I brewed it a while back. Left a little sticky residue on the top of my kettle and immersion chiller. Other than that, I guess it worked. The beer seems pretty balanced, and not too bitter. I was actually surprised that it wasn't bitter...with all those calculated IBUs!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #88
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by springtime View Post
Just received another extract Pliny the elder clone kit from Ausitn Homebrew. The first one I had brewed came out so incredibly good I cannot be without it. I have three bottles of Pliney arriving at my house this Monday and will do a side by side tasting at some point next week. I highly recommend the AHB pliny kit. I will keep you all posted on the tasting once completed.
It's like a 70 dollar kit, but if it comes out good, as most of his kits do?!?! Cheers
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #89
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Gonna brew this one this Saturday. Looking over the brewing instructions, though, it says to chill the wort to 67 degrees before pitching the yeast and then to double pitch or make a starter.

Is this instruction just to make sure the temperature doesn't get too high to prevent off flavors?!? He mentions in that PDF not wanting any diectyl (sp?)... could that be a reason for the cold chill?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #90
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You should always try to chill your wort to below 70 before you pitch. Get in the habit and you will have less off flavors and better beer.

Quick Reply