Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #281
Tcl1999
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, two for the separate dry hop additions, but yeah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #282
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcl1999 View Post
Well, two for the separate dry hop additions, but yeah.
So nothing can live in 9% abv beer then or what? I don't want to take any chances.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #283
Tcl1999
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I am just saying you are probably ok using hop bags without sanitizing them. I don't have a fool proof guarantee, just my results.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #284
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcl1999
I am just saying you are probably ok using hop bags without sanitizing them.
This is what I do, I keg, so I purge the air out and fill it with co2 so nothing is going to live in that environment.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #285
brick_haus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How are you guys getting PTE to compare this to. I only 250 miles from Russion River Brewing and still have to drive up there to buy a case ($120 per case of 17.25oz bottles). I dont mind though as its very close to Lagunitas...

For those that think their version came out dry, be sure to get the original for comparison, it's prettty friggin dry too! Overrated if you ask me.

Ballast Point Big Eye is my favorite. Closely followed by Sculpin, Stone IPA and Lagunitas... Sorry off topic...

Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #286
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick_haus View Post
How are you guys getting PTE to compare this to. I only 250 miles from Russion River Brewing and still have to drive up there to buy a case ($120 per case of 17.25oz bottles). I dont mind though as its very close to Lagunitas...

For those that think their version came out dry, be sure to get the original for comparison, it's prettty friggin dry too! Overrated if you ask me.

Ballast Point Big Eye is my favorite. Closely followed by Sculpin, Stone IPA and Lagunitas... Sorry off topic...
Whole foods and total wine have it almost every Tuesday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #287
Petekiteworld
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Don't worry about sanitation with dry hopping. In fact I am not too worried about sanitation period. I have brewed probably 50 batches of homebrew with moderate sanitation measures (bleaching things within reason, cleaning bottles in a dishwasher, etc) and I've never had a infection. Ive dumped hops, fruits, chocolate into the secondary without any infections. Don't worry and have a homebrew.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #288
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Brewing this now. It seems like I always forget to plug something into beersmith, this time I forgot to adjust my grain temp (it was in the garage all night and got cold), so I missed my mash temp by a little bit, ended up around 147. Not too worried about it, I have had attenuation issues lately anyway so maybe this will help.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #289
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Transferred this to a keg and dry hopped yesterday. Gravity finished around 1.010. I am a little surprised that the aroma and flavor is not as hoppy as I thought it would be. I have read others say the same thing. I wonder if the crazy bitterness this beer has somehow masks some of the late addition hop flavor. Hopefully the dry hops will bring this beer to life! I did everything right as far as I know. 2L starter, used pure O2 before pitching, hit all my water numbers, fermented at 64.....we shall see.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #290
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Transferred this to a keg and dry hopped yesterday. Gravity finished around 1.010. I am a little surprised that the aroma and flavor is not as hoppy as I thought it would be. I have read others say the same thing. I wonder if the crazy bitterness this beer has somehow masks some of the late addition hop flavor. Hopefully the dry hops will bring this beer to life! I did everything right as far as I know. 2L starter, used pure O2 before pitching, hit all my water numbers, fermented at 64.....we shall see.
So just to post a little update. This beer has been kegged for close to a month now. It has this strange harshness that can be felt on the back of the tongue and throat when you drink it. I've never had an off flavor like this before, but from what I've read it sounds like astringency. I treat my water using the EZ water calc so I don't think water is the issue. I've been getting my grain crushed pretty fine lately with my new false bottom. I am starting to wonder if the crush is too fine causing too much husk material to get into the boil.

kinda stumped at this point but I am going to ride it out for a while and see if it fades. I'd like to try to brew this again though. Does anyone know if substituting Chinook for the Columbus would make a drastic difference? I know won't be exactly the same but I have a pound of Chinook I need to use

Quick Reply