Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #151
bguzz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzz View Post
I brewed this and after 7 days I've gone from 1.070 to 1.011--this has virtually been a perfect brew so far. I used 3 Hopshots (first time using them) from NB for the 90 minute addition and 45. I did 12 ML for the 90 minute and 3 ML for the 45 minute. Taste is great for only 7 days--lots of flavor. I did a 2L starter with WY1056...I read Vinnie's plug about slightly underpitching double IPA's to protect the hop flavor...I'm dying to try this one! I also did a 40 minute hop stand with the 0 minute hops.

I'm going to CC this in a few days, and do half the dry hopping for 5 days in primary and then transfer to secondary and 5 more days for the second dry hopping.
So the result was less than stellar...it's not bad but not good either. I mashed with 4 gallons of distilled cut with 1 gallon of well water that has higher alkalinity. I used 5 grams of gypsum, 2 grams of cacl and 2 grams of Epsom salt. The result was a thin tasting beer with little flavor and poor head retention. I haven't had a miss like this in a long long time. I dry hopped in the primary so little possibility of oxidation or infection. I had a nice and healthy 2L starter on a stirplate that I decanted. I'm sure it isn't infected...any ideas what happened?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #152
jdawghop
Recipes 

Just brewed this beer last night. First full boil BIAB i have done and there where a few hitches but all in all I think it went well.
Hitch #1 pre boild volume not right ended up with 4.25 gal.
Hitch #2 forgot to add corn sugar until flame out.

OG 1.066

I will re post when i taste sample at 1st dry hop!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #153
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I'm planning on brewing up this recipe this weekend and was wondering if there would be any noticeable difference to subbing out cane sugar for the corn sugar?

I seem to remember reading that there were no noticeable differences between the two but just wanted to make sure...

Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #154
slapmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
I'm planning on brewing up this recipe this weekend and was wondering if there would be any noticeable difference to subbing out cane sugar for the corn sugar?

I seem to remember reading that there were no noticeable differences between the two but just wanted to make sure...
I use cane sugar all the time instead of corn, even for bottling, and can't tell the difference. I am sure some folks on here may disagree, but the difference, if any, is minimal. Plus, the beer is so hoppy, you wouldn't notice anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #155
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmc View Post
I use cane sugar all the time instead of corn, even for bottling, and can't tell the difference. I am sure some folks on here may disagree, but the difference, if any, is minimal. Plus, the beer is so hoppy, you wouldn't notice anyway.
Good to know. Thanks!

I have a 1 lb bag of corn sugar, but I also have 3 batches of beer that will be ready for bottling in the next week or so and I didn't want to have to make a run to my LHBS which is almost 45 minutes away from me just to buy some more corn sugar so I will be using cane sugar for this recipe!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #156
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I am setting up to brew this recipe this weekend except I'll be using Marris Otter instead of 2-row and may have to change the Hop amounts depending on what I have in storage.

Excited to try this... it'll be my first time using my AG system.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #157
sok454
Recipes 

Beer is in the fermenter. Pre-boil at 1.054. OG at 1.075. Good efficiency for first time. Def hop forward but a strong Maltiness too. Bitter on the back of the tongue.
Left cup is pre-boil. Right cup is Post. Ton of hop muck. Used a filter to get the other picture. Had 6+ in to fermenter but racked off some to eliminate some hop material. Ended up w 5.25-.50 gal.

image-2719583613.jpg   image-700886423.jpg  

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #158
spark_plug
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just did this one up yesterday. got super great efficiency on it as well. OG was 1.072, so it should be a yummy one. Used Amarillo in place of the Simcoe as it wasn't available. And I see the Pliny the younger uses Amarillo, so should get me close, but I've never tried the original PTE so I can't compare.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #159
MMJfan
Recipes 

Well, I tackled this beast yesterday doing BIAB. It was one of my biggest grain bills save for another IIPA I made. And it was BY FAR the most hops I've added to a beer with almost 9 oz of hops used yesterday!

I don't have a large enough kettle to do full boil BIAB so I do a sparge in a separate smaller kettle to get my pre-boil volume where I need it. Yesterday I added a rinse as well as I didn't get quite my pre-boil volume after my sparge. Other than that, things went according to plan and my OG was actually a bit higher than my target of 1.070 as mine checked in at 1.076.

I also read a blogger who brewed the recipe I used and his first attempt he said the only difference was his turned out a bit darker than PTE. So, he cut back on the Crystal 45L about in half of what the recipe calls for and said his color was almost spot on with PTE by doing so. I tried this as well so we shall see. Can't wait to get this in the bottle and start drinking it!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #160
sok454
Recipes 

Yeah I've never had it either. Care to share ur recipe yeast etc?

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Quick Reply