Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #111
krietema
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm planning on brewing up the extract version here in a couple of weeks. Vinnie's extract version calls for a full boil, topping it up to 8 gallons and ending at 6. I've got a couple of questions regarding this:

1. Will 8 actually boil down to 6 in 90 min? Just don't want anything diluted. Forgive my noobness with this question (and all of my questions!)

2. I don't have a 10-gallon kettle to do a full boil, but I want to get maximum hop utilization. Would having a separate kettle and simply adding half of the hops to straight up boiling water at the same intervals as my wort kettle and then dumping both batches into the primary together have a similar effect?
3. I'm assuming I can't actually do that, so any reason I shouldn't just do two, simultaneous half-batches and dump into the primary together?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #112
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2 gal boil off is high especially if inside. I boil off about 1.5 gal in 90 min outside.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #113
batty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krietema View Post
3. I'm assuming I can't actually do that, so any reason I shouldn't just do two, simultaneous half-batches and dump into the primary together?
I regularly boil off a little less than 1.5 gal on my stove top (with heater element assist). I don't see why it would be an issue to split into two pots and boil both side by side.. just a bit more of a pain in chilling.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #114
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm on day 18 in the fermenter, day 10 on the first dry-hop. It has been sitting at a pretty steady 68-69F.

Every once in a while, maybe a couple times a day, I happen to hear a bubble exit the blow-off. What is going on? Is this still fermenting? Or am I looking at a possible infection? I can't see inside, it is a SS conical. But I'll be doing the second dry-hop in 2 days, so I'll be able to see inside when I do that.

I know...RDWHAHB...but this 10-gal batch isn't cheap, and of course I'm looking forward to consuming this liquid gold.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #115
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz View Post
I'm on day 18 in the fermenter, day 10 on the first dry-hop. It has been sitting at a pretty steady 68-69F.

Every once in a while, maybe a couple times a day, I happen to hear a bubble exit the blow-off. What is going on? Is this still fermenting? Or am I looking at a possible infection? I can't see inside, it is a SS conical. But I'll be doing the second dry-hop in 2 days, so I'll be able to see inside when I do that.

I know...RDWHAHB...but this 10-gal batch isn't cheap, and of course I'm looking forward to consuming this liquid gold.
Its probably just off-gassing of dissolved CO2. Dry hops provide a lot of nucleation sites; I get a few bubbles every day or so after I start adding dry hops.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #116
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
Its probably just off-gassing of dissolved CO2. Dry hops provide a lot of nucleation sites; I get a few bubbles every day or so after I start adding dry hops.
Ah, very good to know, thanks for the reply.

That makes sense, when I tasted the sample from the hydrometer reading, there was definitely some gas in solution.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #117
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

brewed this up last night, way undershot OG. It ended up somewhere around 1.064 and I even added some DME to try and boost the gravity a tad. I tried to make a starter on Friday with wlp001, but I didn't want to risk an infection due to some dog/cat hair that somehow made it's way in, i'm guessing the boil. So I picked up two smack packs of wy1056. Oh well, it's bubbling away just fine. It will still make beer!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #118
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is there a huge difference in the yeast? I'm doing a 2G batch so I'd probably prefer a dry US-05 unless someone really thinks another is that much better.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #119
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

It has been said that yeast contributes significantly (up to 60% IIRC) to how the beer tastes.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #120
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz View Post
It has been said that yeast contributes significantly (up to 60% IIRC) to how the beer tastes.

I understand it can make a HUGE difference in beers, but Vinnie suggest WLP001 Cali Ale or Wyeast 1056 American Ale so I was just curious what the US-05 as the OP suggested does to the taste?

Quick Reply