Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #101
Jeffro74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Doing the DME version and just took a gravity reading after a week (and to add the dry hops)... OG was 1.071... it's at 1.022 now. What should the target be!? ... and what do I absolutely need to wait till before I bottle?

Here's a pic of the culprit..

image-1646467015.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #102
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro74 View Post
Doing the DME version and just took a gravity reading after a week (and to add the dry hops)... OG was 1.071... it's at 1.022 now. What should the target be!? ... and what do I absolutely need to wait till before I bottle?

Here's a pic of the culprit..
Supposed to be around 1.010 but since you did a high gravity from extract, you may be at final right now. Did you add the dextrose? Wait 2 weeks of dryhopping.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #103
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The target FG should be 1.012-1.014. In the future if you find you are consistently getting low attenuation from extract, I would either switch your extract brand/find fresher extract OR increase the amount of dextrose you are using and slightly lower the extract to compensate.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #104
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Add the dextrose?! Was that the corn sugar at the end of the boil?...

What might my options be to get it drier at this point?.. or do I just go with it?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #105
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

What might my options be to get it drier at this point?.. or do I just go with it?
The Dextrose is corn sugar, and it was (according to VC's recipe) to be added between collecting runoff and bringing to boil (so for the entire boil).

I say just go with it, it'll be fine, maybe just a bit on the sweeter side, which I actually like.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #106
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm at 8 days in the fermenter. I took a SG, and I'm at 1.012.
It tasted really solid, although I'm surprised it wasn't actually more hoppy.
I bottom-dumped and rinsed the yeast.
I dry hopped 6oz of leaf (10 gallon batch) into one muslin hop bag (barely fit!).

So, the recipe calls for 12-14 days for the first dry hop, and 5 days for the second dry hop.

Question: When I do the second dry hop, should I remove the first dry hop, or leave it there (risking grassy notes?)?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #107
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz View Post
I'm at 8 days in the fermenter. I took a SG, and I'm at 1.012.
It tasted really solid, although I'm surprised it wasn't actually more hoppy.
I bottom-dumped and rinsed the yeast.
I dry hopped 6oz of leaf (10 gallon batch) into one muslin hop bag (barely fit!).

So, the recipe calls for 12-14 days for the first dry hop, and 5 days for the second dry hop.

Question: When I do the second dry hop, should I remove the first dry hop, or leave it there (risking grassy notes?)?
The directions from Vinny himself state that they simply rouse the first dry hop when adding the second. The impression I get is that Vinnie is more concerned with vegetal flavors from boiling a lot of hop material (this is why he uses hop extract according to Stan Hieronymous's new book) rather than dry hopping.

Quote:

Yes, dextrose = corn sugar. (Note that you can realistically just use table sugar without any practical difference). I wasn't really suggesting you could do anything about it now, I was just suggesting you could up your simple sugars if attenuation is a problem.

The other thing is that a week doesn't necessarily mean fermentation is done. Try upping the fermentation temperature and see if you can shave a few points off. Anything under 1.018 or so will be acceptable, I think.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #108
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee
I'm just a little confused with the IBU's and the kinds of hops used. When I punch in the OP recipie with pellets hops into my Promash the IBU's are too high. Guess I'll just tone it down a tad.
Listened to the Stan Hieronymous beersmith podcast last night and he was saying that perception(if I remember correctly) maxes out your perception of bitterness at about 60 IBUs and that you'd actually detect very little difference between 60 and 100 IBUs. Interesting! Might buy his new book

Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #109
frisbee91
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this last month using Vinnie's recipe, except I substituted Amarillo hops for some of the Simcoe in the boil (because I had them left over). It came out great! One of the best beers I've made. I highly recommend reading Vinnie's article. It's got some great tips.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #110
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
Listened to the Stan Hieronymous beersmith podcast last night and he was saying that perception(if I remember correctly) maxes out your perception of bitterness at about 60 IBUs and that you'd actually detect very little difference between 60 and 100 IBUs. Interesting! Might buy his new book
That is interesting. When I drink mine, I think, every time, that there is no way it could be more than 60 or 70 IBU. I know there is more there, but it just doesn't "feel" like it.

Quick Reply