Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Pliny the Elder Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #91
Jeffro74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks! I will certainly do that.

... and I bought all the ingredients a-la-carte from Midwest Brewing's warehouse today. Just over $62.00... but seeing as the kit from Austin was over $70, I will fool myself into thinking I got a "deal"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #92
springtime
Recipes 

Had a tasting last night with the original Pliny the Elder and my AHB Pliny kit. Very close in nose and taste. Color was off a bit. The AHB was certainly darker. Both had the grapefruit, piney smells and tastes. The original maybe a bit more floral. It was bottled 12/20/12. Very fresh and my clone is about 2 months old. I'm sure this plays some factor. I have another batch in the primary now. Will be dry hopping this weekend. I would say Pliny the elder is as good as it gets. I would also say its safe to say the AHB pliny can go head to head with almost any commercial iipa out there.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #93
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Are the hops whole hops or pellets?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #94
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I'm doing a combo platter from what was available at the LHBS. Actually, the only whole hops I am using is 1oz of Centennial in the dry hop.

I'm not certain it matters, as I think someone in this thread mentioned Vinnie using hop extract for the original (or at least what he's brewing now). Someone can feel free to contest that, though.

Brewing my batch tomorrow... pretty darn excited for something I won't really taste until a month from now

Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #95
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm just a little confused with the IBU's and the kinds of hops used. When I punch in the OP recipie with pellets hops into my Promash the IBU's are too high. Guess I'll just tone it down a tad.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #96
fifthcircle
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't "tone it down"!!! The IBU in brew software is theoretical. From my understanding there is a saturation limit, and its nearly impossible to get over 100IBU into the actual beer.

Brew it per the recipe. Its good.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #97
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
I'm just a little confused with the IBU's and the kinds of hops used. When I punch in the OP recipie with pellets hops into my Promash the IBU's are too high. Guess I'll just tone it down a tad.
Don't tone it down. I used 17% AA Columbus and used all 3.50 oz. @ 90 min. even though the recipe specifies 14% Columbus and it came out extremely similar to the commercial beer. You aren't going to end up with 300 IBUs, that's just theoretical; for one, fermentation scrubs out a lot of the IBUs and second, the amount of bitterness in theory doesn't actually get into the beer, it tends to top out around 100 IBU which is correct for this style.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #98
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ok, thanks, I'll try the recipes as is.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #99
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just brewed a 10-gallon batch of this on Friday. I followed the recipe from the Zymurgy article in the July/August 2009 issue found on page 25 that Vinnie Cilurzo (owner and brewmaster at Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rosa, CA) wrote on this brew (link to a pdf in post #14 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pine...ml#post4102273).

I followed the recipe except for a few things (I thought I'd have a lower than 75% efficiency): I used 1.25# of C40, 1.25# of Carapils, 1.8# Corn Sugar, and 1.5# extra of 2-row. I used all pellets in the BK, and will be dry-hopping with leaf.

This is the first time I've really nailed everything on a brew-day. My mash was dead on at 151 for the duration (thanks HERMS), I batch sparged to get a total of 14 gallons in the BK (figuring my typical ~2 gallons of boil-off in a 90 minute boil), and arrived at an OG of 1.074. I referenced MrMalty and did a 2.5L starter on a stir plate from 2 vials.

I'll be doing all of the dry-hopping in the primary, will do a closed transfer to kegs, and do a set-and-forget force carb. I'll report back in 4-5 weeks when I tap this. So far, the aroma of the ferment smells fantastic! I'm stoked!

The ONLY thing that went slightly wrong, was that after chilling from CFC to the fermenter (14.5 conical), my buddy was about to seal it up when he dropped the 3psi pressure-safety weight into the full fermenter. So we got out the PVC elbow glove (lots of jokes ensued), sanitized the glove, and fished it out. Something always happens on brew day.

How many volumes of CO2 are you all carb'ing to? Style says in the 1.5-2.3 range.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #100
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnoiz View Post
I just brewed a 10-gallon batch of this on Friday. I followed the recipe from the Zymurgy article in the July/August 2009 issue found on page 25 that Vinnie Cilurzo (owner and brewmaster at Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rosa, CA) wrote on this brew (link to a pdf in post #14 http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pine...ml#post4102273).

I followed the recipe except for a few things (I thought I'd have a lower than 75% efficiency): I used 1.25# of C40, 1.25# of Carapils, 1.8# Corn Sugar, and 1.5# extra of 2-row. I used all pellets in the BK, and will be dry-hopping with leaf.

This is the first time I've really nailed everything on a brew-day. My mash was dead on at 151 for the duration (thanks HERMS), I batch sparged to get a total of 14 gallons in the BK (figuring my typical ~2 gallons of boil-off in a 90 minute boil), and arrived at an OG of 1.074. I referenced MrMalty and did a 2.5L starter on a stir plate from 2 vials.

I'll be doing all of the dry-hopping in the primary, will do a closed transfer to kegs, and do a set-and-forget force carb. I'll report back in 4-5 weeks when I tap this. So far, the aroma of the ferment smells fantastic! I'm stoked!

The ONLY thing that went slightly wrong, was that after chilling from CFC to the fermenter (14.5 conical), my buddy was about to seal it up when he dropped the 3psi pressure-safety weight into the full fermenter. So we got out the PVC elbow glove (lots of jokes ensued), sanitized the glove, and fished it out. Something always happens on brew day.

How many volumes of CO2 are you all carb'ing to? Style says in the 1.5-2.3 range.
I carb to ~2.3 volumes. Last I read the style guidelines for both Imperial and American IPA are 2.2-2.7 and the commercial beer is for sure something in that range.

Quick Reply