Double IPA Pliny The Bastid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A request for a double extra confirmation on the dry hops.

Total amount of dry hops is 3.75 oz

1.25 oz for 7-ish days; pull it and another
1.25 oz for 7-ish days.

and NOT 3.75 oz each time (which would be a total of 11.25).

Can someone please confirm? The way I read the original post is 3.75 oz each time. But, there was an exchange above stating that the total was 3.75.

Thank you.

A request for a double extra confirmation on the dry hops.

Total amount of dry hops is 3.75 oz

1.25 oz for 7-ish days.

and NOT 3.75 oz each time (which would be a total of 11.25).

Can someone please confirm? The way I read the original post is 3.75 oz each time. But, there was an exchange above stating that the total was 3.75.

Thank you.

Yeah the OP is worded badly. I bet it's 3.75 oz total. It says 2 weeks each btw.

edit: nevermind it looks like it is 11 oz dryhop. and pull them each time. sounds pretty sick.

You drop hop with 11 oz, which is the standard Pliny home brew clone recipe amount for 5 gallons. I do think 2 weeks for each addition is a bit long- personally I'd do 2 additions of ~4 oz or so (equal amount of the three hops) for 7-10 days each, then dry hop in the keg with the remainder and drink it fresh.

Steelers77 said:
I'm going to offer these Pliny Packs for $15, does anyone mind dryhopping with pellets.

I'll take 2 kits if the deal is on

How were these kits? what was included if you dont mind sharing.

I went to the Farmhouse website and there is no explanation of what is included. When I clicked "contact us" there is an error as if the email provided doesnt exist.

I also PM'd Steelers77 yesterday with no response.

Im not willing to put faith in someone that just says "this kit includes all of the hops you need" and doesnt even list out what is included, the AA% etc.

Seems a little fishy since some people are talking about how much the hops for this recipe alone cost $30 and this hop pack is offered for $15 and they have an entire "kit" supposedly grain and all for $30 something.

I am planning on tackling a version of a PTE clone this weekend and I just had a quick question regarding Dude's recipe from the first post on this thread. In the OP, Dude states, "Recipe copied exactly according to Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing Company Owner/Brewmaster) handout distributed at 2005 National Homebrew Conference."

I have come across a PTE clone recipe that also seems to come from Vinnie and has a different hop profile. The link to the recipe is found here:

Homebrewing Pliny The Elder

I'm guessing this is a more up to date version of Dude's recipe from 2005 seeing that they list Centennial, CTZ and Simcoe hops just like the recipe in the link above?

However, when I was reading on Russian River's website, they listed Amarillo hops as well. Also, I did come across another recipe where the guy added about a half oz of Amarillo to both of his dry hop additions and his grain bill was almost identical to the recipe I have linked above. I discovered the Amarillo thing after I had ordered my ingredients, but as luck would have it, I just happened to have 2 oz of it sitting in my freezer! :mug: So, I'm going to go ahead and give it a try!

I have also read that Vinnie likes to change up the recipe for PTE and I was just wondering if anyone has tried the recipe I linked above? I am going to go ahead and attempt the recipe I linked above and see how it turns out as the guy that listed the other recipe I found referencing using Amarillo said his clone turned out to be about 98% accurate. Being in Ohio, I've never had the real PTE, so I'm hoping this turns out good even though I will have nothing to compare it to...

MMJfan said:
I am planning on tackling a version of a PTE clone this weekend and I just had a quick question regarding Dude's recipe from the first post on this thread. In the OP, Dude states, "Recipe copied exactly according to Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing Company Owner/Brewmaster) handout distributed at 2005 National Homebrew Conference."

I have come across a PTE clone recipe that also seems to come from Vinnie and has a different hop profile. The link to the recipe is found here:

Homebrewing Pliny The Elder

I'm guessing this is a more up to date version of Dude's recipe from 2005 seeing that they list Centennial, CTZ and Simcoe hops just like the recipe in the link above?

However, when I was reading on Russian River's website, they listed Amarillo hops as well. Also, I did come across another recipe where the guy added about a half oz of Amarillo to both of his dry hop additions and his grain bill was almost identical to the recipe I have linked above. I discovered the Amarillo thing after I had ordered my ingredients, but as luck would have it, I just happened to have 2 oz of it sitting in my freezer! :mug: So, I'm going to go ahead and give it a try!

I have also read that Vinnie likes to change up the recipe for PTE and I was just wondering if anyone has tried the recipe I linked above? I am going to go ahead and attempt the recipe I linked above and see how it turns out as the guy that listed the other recipe I found referencing using Amarillo said his clone turned out to be about 98% accurate. Being in Ohio, I've never had the real PTE, so I'm hoping this turns out good even though I will have nothing to compare it to...

I've done the handout recipe with hop variations several times. It's rumored that Vinnie has changed the hops around, notably Amarillo. IMHO, as long as the Simcoe, CTZ are there in approximate proportions and timing, you can mess around with other "C" hops and not tell much difference. Amarillo for taste and/or aroma additions is nice. I might be careful with Citra, as it can dominate if heavy handed. Cascade, or course, is very similar to Centennial, and Chinook can spice it up a touch.

I love light, dry, high alcohol bases like Pliny has for delivering the "hop candy" effect. Experiment with the hops and you'll almost always have a great IIPA.

In terms of hitting the recipe exactly, I couldn't tell the difference from a local place that had it on tap vs. mine, except my aromatics were better (I dry hop in the keg with a little less than the recipe calls for). Didn't ask how old their keg was.

Made a Topper clone that's almost gone, so had to make this just a few days ago. Primary fermentation is almost done, going to dry hop soon. I made some changes though. Rounded up some hop amounts so used a solid pound overall. My HBS was also out of Maris Otter, so I used regular 2-Row and Golden Naked Oats for some extra body and what not. I may also simplify the dry hop and do all 3 at once, but haven't decided yet...is there really any extra bonus in a month and a half long dry hop, 2 weeks each variety? I was thinking just 2-3 weeks with all 3 at once.

Got a new blow off tube. Used to have one that stuck down inside my vaporlock. New one fits on the outside of the inner stem. Unfortunately the whole damn thing blew off (vapor lock and all) on the 2-3rd day of fermentation. Didn't lose much beer, just a ton of hops on the ceiling and about 15min where my beer didn't have a lid. Not too worried but I learned that a pound of hops in 5gal is...****ing awesome. Can't wait til it's drinkable.

midfielder5 said:
You [dry] hop with 11 oz, which is the standard Pliny home brew clone recipe amount for 5 gallons.

I'm confused. The wording of the original recipe on the first page is ambiguous:

3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.

Like apparently many others, I was confused, as this can mean at least 3 different things:

1.) First dry hop is 1.25 oz of Columbus. Next dry hop, 2 weeks later, is 1.25 oz of Centennial. Final dry hop, 2 weeks later, is 1.25 oz of Simcoe.
2.) First dry hop is 3.75 oz (1.25 oz each of Columbus, Centennial, and Simcoe). Second dry hop, 2 weeks later, is the same. Third dry hop, another 2 weeks later, is the same.
3.) First dry hop is 1.25 oz, a mixture of Columbus, Centennial, and Simcoe (0.42 oz each). Second dry hop, 2 weeks later, is the same. Third dry hop, another 2 weeks later, is the same.

#3 seems the least likely to me, but I'm seeing mixed opinions on whether the correct interpretation is #1 or #2.

On page 5, Beerrific offered his interpretation:

1.25 oz per variety. I would mix them all up and the split them into thrids and add one for 7-10 days, take it out, and repeat.

However, this still isn't clear. Is it 1.25 oz per variety, PER DRY HOP ADDITION, or 1.25 oz per variety TOTAL, split across 3 additions?

I'm leaning toward explanation #2 above (each addition is a total of 3.75 oz of hops, consisting of 1.25 oz each Columbus, Centennial, and Simcoe), but I'd love some confirmation.

Racked this to secondary last night and added the first round of dry hops. 3.75 ounces of hops, in a hop sock with a couple Whisky Stones to weigh them down. It took some finessing to stuff the hop sock down the mouth of the BetterBottle, hopefully I can get it out again (I tied a length of dental floss to it. I can't wait to taste this bad boy.

It took some finessing to stuff the hop sock down the mouth of the BetterBottle, hopefully I can get it out again.
hehehe :cross: Been there, done that.
Would be interested to hear how they came out for you.

Would be interested to hear how they came out for you.

As you might expect, the hops swelled in the hop sock, making it impossible to remove from the carboy. I ended up racking the beer to another carboy, then inverting the empty one and shaking the hops out through the mouth of the carboy. I then added the 2nd and 3rd rounds of dry hops simultaneously to the beer and left it for another week. I then cold-crashed it for 3-4 days and kegged it. After 2 weeks on CO2, the beer turned out AMAZING. This is seriously my favourite recipe at the moment, even edging out the Stone Ruination clone recipe (my previous favourite). I'm about halfway through this keg, and I'm already planning on rebrewing it this weekend to hopefully ensure I have more ready when this keg eventually kicks.

Just kegged another batch of this beer earlier this week. Frankly I'm shocked that this thread doesn't get more attention. This recipe is absolutely delicious. I'm having a hard time leaving the keg alone to finish carbonating, it's just so amazing when it's fresh, even if it's a little undercarbed.

I just took the fist sample of my Pliny clone and I had trouble remembering to finish the gravity reading before consuming the sample; delicious.

My secondary fermenter is currently occupied by a Triple that is moving along much more slowly than anticipated (12 days in Primary, now 14 day in secondary and it's still active- about one bubble a minute).

Do you think it would be okay to dry-hop the Pliny clone in the primary and let it finish out in primary before bottling? Pliny clone has now been in primary for 14 days; the first 10 days were very active and it has now slowed to about 1 bubble a minute (current gravity is 1.014). Any advice?

Hey everyone,

I was just looking at the hop bill on the clone recipe from 2005... I was just wondering, since the palate can't sense over 80 or so IBU's, is it really necessary to add almost a pound of hops to a 5.5 gallon brew giving around 270 + IBU's? I was thinking of brewing this but just cutting down the amounts of hops being added so that the IBU's are more around 100 to cut down on hop costs. I guess I am asking if adding less hops would change the dynamic of the beer. If anyone has any input, let me know.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I was just looking at the hop bill on the clone recipe from 2005... I was just wondering, since the palate can't sense over 80 or so IBU's, is it really necessary to add almost a pound of hops to a 5.5 gallon brew giving around 270 + IBU's?
There's more to hops than just IBUs. I would say that if there was a way for Vinnie Cilurzo at Russian River to get the results he wanted with less hops, he'd use less hops.

I'm sure you could make a great IIPA with less hops too however. Up to you to decide where the cost/result ratio makes sense to you as there's no way for anyone to quantify how much "better" adding more hops is.

The few times I've brewed it, it's always been to the recommended hop levels and I've always been extremely happy. Want even more? Consider Pliny the Younger.

Kal

Thanks Kal,

I think I will just try to round down the oz.'s of hops to the nearest whole number so that I can use the entire amount of hops in the bag without having to buy more and have more left over. Sounds like an expensive brew, but from what I can gather on this forum, it's totally worth it!

Also, I have a few varieties of these hops on-hand in pellet form... Using these instead of whole leaf shouldn't be a problem I presume?

Back