Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Extract - MY 60 minute IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
deepsouth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbii View Post
Yes... I brewed the recipe out of extreme brewing which i think is basically the same thing. I'll just have to be patient and wait it out until it stops. 3 weeks and still going and I'm beginning to wonder. I just bumped ferm temp up to 73 so we'll see if that helps speed things up.

pretty much the same with a bit more malt and double the hops.

have you taken a gravity reading? i totally forgot to take mine when i racked it and when i bottled it.

i'd rack that bad boy and up the temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
shimbii
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No... I might take a gravity reading w/in the next few days. I'm going to try to wait until airlock activity stops.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
shimbii
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I couldn't wait any longer. I checked gravity last night and it was 1.015 so I think it's done. The recipe says the target FG is .017 so I think I'm good to go. It doesn't explain why my airlock kept going though. I took a taste from the sample and the the flavors of 60 min are there... but it will be much more like it after a few weeks of mellowing.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
mikeylikeybeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
primary fermentation temperature 68 degrees
secondary fermentation temperature 72 degrees

Ingredients

5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 59.52% (at 75 minutes)
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 35.71% (at flameout)

0.40 lb British Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.76% (steeping grains)

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

0.50 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)

1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) Yeast-Ale

thanks for looking!

cheers.

im confused as to the brewing process...and quite possibly an idiot lol.

what is the difference in the 5lbs at - 59.52% (at 75 minutes)
and the other 3 lbs? Was the 3lbs added with the grains and steeping hops at the end of the boil? And what are those percentages for? clarity?

I'm gonna try this one, just wanna get it right - but i'll probably cheat and just dry hop in the primary as i'm too poor to buy a secondary...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
deepsouth
Recipes 

i added the 3 lbs at flameout and stirred it in. i was doing a partial boil and didn't really have enough water in the pot to get the hop utilization i desired if i added all the malt at once. the percentages are the beersmith percentages of fermentables iirc. the steeping grains were done before the boil at a lower temperature than boiling.

good luck and tell me how it turns out please!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
reefwreak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great recipe! I'm going to try it out as my next batch I think. I just made a sorta-kinda-LHBS-suggested DFH 90 minute clone that we kind of formulated in store on the fly, so I'm excited to try a DFH clone recipe that has been tried and tested and approved! Thanks again for sharing it and congratulations on your award for it!

Bottled: Year old Hefewisse
In secondary or aging: LHBS DFH 90 minute on-the-fly-made clone recipe
Next up: Thinking either deepsouth's 60 minute IPA or a nice quick blueberry wheat (Blue Paw clone) to end the summer with

I envy those of you who don't have to make a concerted effort to keep your fermentation vessels under 75 degrees....

deepsouth Likes This 
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
deepsouth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwreak View Post
Great recipe! I'm going to try it out as my next batch I think. I just made a sorta-kinda-LHBS-suggested DFH 90 minute clone that we kind of formulated in store on the fly, so I'm excited to try a DFH clone recipe that has been tried and tested and approved! Thanks again for sharing it and congratulations on your award for it!

awesome! tell me what you think.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #18
robbie
Recipes 

Just curious... I don't really have a way of fermenting this at 68% and wonder if fermenting at 73 - 74 is going to make a huge difference?

Thanks!

Robbie

Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
reefwreak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Robbie,

If there's one thing that's made my beer better, it's the fermentation temperature. I'm in a small apartment, so I thought cooling would be impossible, but I've kept my most recent beer at 65 degrees for a week now with just sitting in a tub of water with a towel wrapped around the carboy and a fan blowing down into the bucket and around the towel. It makes a huge difference, probably bigger difference than pitching rate or other small modifications.

I didn't get a chance to make the 60minute clone yet, but I'm hoping to do it in the next few weeks. So much beer to brew, so little time.

Bottled: Year old Hefewisse
In secondary or aging: LHBS DFH 90 minute on-the-fly-made clone recipe
Next up: Thinking either deepsouth's 60 minute IPA or a nice quick blueberry wheat (Blue Paw clone) to end the summer with

I envy those of you who don't have to make a concerted effort to keep your fermentation vessels under 75 degrees....

Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
robbie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwreak View Post
Robbie,

If there's one thing that's made my beer better, it's the fermentation temperature. I'm in a small apartment, so I thought cooling would be impossible, but I've kept my most recent beer at 65 degrees for a week now with just sitting in a tub of water with a towel wrapped around the carboy and a fan blowing down into the bucket and around the towel. It makes a huge difference, probably bigger difference than pitching rate or other small modifications.

I didn't get a chance to make the 60minute clone yet, but I'm hoping to do it in the next few weeks. So much beer to brew, so little time.
Thanks so much for the recommendation, that's not a bad idea at all! I may do that in order to achieve the cooler fermenting temperature.

Also, this receipe calls for British Amber Malt Grain... Is that the same thing as a British Amber DME? If not, is there something that would be a close substitution? I've only found it at one place online but my order total would only be $0.75 and I don't want to order other things from the site because they are more expensive on the other ingredients (Midwest Brewing Website).

Any help would be great, thanks!

Robbie

Quick Reply