Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - My 2-time gold winning American IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
carrotmalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was planning to try this recipe soon. I have plenty of Cascade, Chinook, and almost of pound of Tettnanger in the freezer. If I adjust for IBUs, I'm wondering how close it would be using Tettnanger in place of the Williamette. I saw it as a sub on a chart somewhere, but I'm not sure how close they really are. Anybody have an opinion?

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
I was planning to try this recipe soon. I have plenty of Cascade, Chinook, and almost of pound of Tettnanger in the freezer. If I adjust for IBUs, I'm wondering how close it would be using Tettnanger in place of the Williamette. I saw it as a sub on a chart somewhere, but I'm not sure how close they really are. Anybody have an opinion?
You'll be fine, just do the math and try and keep the IBUs up there. The fun part about this recipe is all the hops go in at the end of the boil, therefore you need a lot more in order to get the required IBUs. The result is a smooth IPA that has a fantastic aroma without the smack in the face of a dry hop bomb. It's an IPA for people who don't reside in Boulder, CO.

Matt

Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #23
Zeek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just input the recipe into BeerSmith and came up with an IBU of 31.1 Is this correct?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #24
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
I just input the recipe into BeerSmith and came up with an IBU of 28.2. Is this correct?
No. You get almost that much just from the Chinook addition. I use this for a ballpark.

I like a little more beer in my beer.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #25
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I "finally" got around to brewing this. Hit my numbers perfectly, but wound up with a smaller amount into the fermenter due to a clogged siphon. If this tastes as good as everyone says, I'll be regretting not working harder to get all 5 gallons!

I'll likely dry hop in the keg with bagged leaf hops. Anyone used any other hops for dry hopping this recipe besides just cascades? (I was thinking 50-50 centennial/cascades)

Rich

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
RichBenn
Recipes 

OK, kegged and dry hopped with Cascades - VERY drinkable! No wonder it won awards. This will be on my repeat list, for sure!

Thanks for the recipe,
Rich

Old 12-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #27
RichBenn
Recipes 

Got some dry hop in the keg and fully carbed now. Can see how it won some medals. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #28
AlanSmithee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Long time forum-stalker, first time poster here. I had to break my silence to thank the OP for this recipe—it just won me best in show at a homebrew competition between my university and our rival school. (As determined by popular vote on enemy territory, no less!) My friends are already demanding more, and I can't wait to get another batch going.

Incidentally, I missed the OG by a couple of points (1.061), but my FG bottomed out at 1.005. I'm guessing I finished so dry thanks to a cooler mash than I intended—I've reason to believe my thermometer was wonky by then. I look forward to another shot at this recipe to recover some points on the FG and get a bit more body out. But even though the beer felt a little light on the palate to me, the great hop flavor kept it eminently enjoyable. Thanks for this one!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
hammis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

hey i'm thinking of trying your recipe this weekend (inaugural batch on my system). when it says additional yeast: 2 vials, does it mean you used 2 vials total?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #30
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammis View Post
hey i'm thinking of trying your recipe this weekend (inaugural batch on my system). when it says additional yeast: 2 vials, does it mean you used 2 vials total?
I'd rather pay the extra 6.50 for a second vial as opposed to going through the effort of making a starter.

Matt

Quick Reply