Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - My 2-time gold winning American IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #251
pulseyou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is the current recipe on page 1? Any recommened changes? Going to scale this down for a 1 gallon brew! Looks delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #252
Vertigo00oo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anico4704 View Post
I will be brewing this next Sunday, why when I put the recipe into BeerSmith do I get a 1.072 OG at 70% efficiency and 5 gallons? Is this recipe supposed to be 5.5 gallons? I get 1.065 then..?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.10 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.30 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
12.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
12.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 1.8 %
I have the same issues here, however I entered the recipe into ProMash and got 1.078. How in the world are some of these people hitting an OG of under 1.060?

How did your OG turn out?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #253
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo00oo View Post

I have the same issues here, however I entered the recipe into ProMash and got 1.078. How in the world are some of these people hitting an OG of under 1.060?

I will let you kno this weekend, i will be brewing it saturday. I figure a couple points either way wont matter much as I have enough hops to compensate, though i agree i dont know how sone are coming in so low.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #254
redspy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I ended up with a 1.055 OG. I think it is something I'm doing wrong with my mash. Or my set up has really bad efficiency. I am thinking of trying to compensate with a bit more grain and batch sparging. I usually fly sparge which I thought was more efficient. I just got beer smith so I will hopefully be able to fine tune things and fix some problems. Any advice though would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #255
BruBird
Recipes 

It is funny you say this, because that is the exact OG i had! I also didn't have Beersmith at the time, then i trialled it. When i put in this recipe, it gace me a really bad efficiency which i didn't really understand! I would be interested to find what others got.

By the way, my original post mentioned the slightly sour/bitter flavour. It mellowed out very nicely....give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle!!

:-) my fave brew - i even dreamed the other night that my partner was finishing the last of it and i was really mad with him!!!! Jeez, it is too hot to brew here in SA at the moment, but this one will be the 1st when it cools a bit!!! :-)

Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #256
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo00oo View Post

All my numbers came out perfectly as Beersmith calculated them!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #257
Vertigo00oo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruBird View Post
It is funny you say this, because that is the exact OG i had! I also didn't have Beersmith at the time, then i trialled it. When i put in this recipe, it gace me a really bad efficiency which i didn't really understand! I would be interested to find what others got.

By the way, my original post mentioned the slightly sour/bitter flavour. It mellowed out very nicely....give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle!!

:-) my fave brew - i even dreamed the other night that my partner was finishing the last of it and i was really mad with him!!!! Jeez, it is too hot to brew here in SA at the moment, but this one will be the 1st when it cools a bit!!! :-)
Ha! Mine ended up with 1.055. It was my first all grain and recorded a 68% efficiency. Beersmith had my starting efficiency at something around 75 or 80%. Either way, the 1.055 is within the style guidelines so it should turn out fine.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #258
MrIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beer smith is Giving me 85 IBUs. And i went on the lower end of MoreBeers Chinook and Cascade AA% ranges since i havent bought those hops yet. Is this right? Should i Adjust down to 65 IBUs or keep original recipe. Please help. Brewing this tommorow

Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #259
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIPA View Post
Beer smith is Giving me 85 IBUs. And i went on the lower end of MoreBeers Chinook and Cascade AA% ranges since i havent bought those hops yet. Is this right? Should i Adjust down to 65 IBUs or keep original recipe. Please help. Brewing this tommorow
what i did was used the ibu scaler in beersmith to get it to 65 though i havent tried the beer yet so well see how it is...i think the more water you use effects your ibu utilization if im not mistaken

Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #260
tippetsnapper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIPA View Post
Once you know you're preboil gravity, adjust your hopping schedule to get the IBUs you're looking for. There are online calculators to help you figure out your numbers, such as brewheads.com

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Quick Reply