Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - My 2-time gold winning American IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
wolfdancer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

When you mention in the recipe that the Chinook and Cascade are at the 30 minute mark to be added, do you mean wait until the boil has been going for 30 minutes then add them? When exactly should the various hops be added? Is this really a 90 minute boil? I am really looking to try this recipe out, I just got back with al lthe supplies for it. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdancer View Post
When you mention in the recipe that the Chinook and Cascade are at the 30 minute mark to be added, do you mean wait until the boil has been going for 30 minutes then add them? When exactly should the various hops be added? Is this really a 90 minute boil? I am really looking to try this recipe out, I just got back with al lthe supplies for it. Thanks in advance!
It is a 90 minute boil. Don't add any hops for the first hour. This recipe gets all its required bitternes from the final 30 minutes. With 30 minutes left start adding your hopps according to the schedule.

Matt

beergolf Likes This 
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What's the point of boiling the wort for 60 min. prior to any hop additions? What would be different if you just boiled for 30min?

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
enohcs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
What's the point of boiling the wort for 60 min. prior to any hop additions? What would be different if you just boiled for 30min?
90 minutes is habit for me at this point. Reduces DMS for one, not that this beer is much at risk. I make all my recipes based on the efficiency of my setup so that I know the volume I will start with in my boil kettle, and I can expect to be at my gravity after 90 minutes. I expect that if you use this recipe and only boil for 30 minutes you're going to end up with a beer lacking malt charachter, off balance, and worst of all...low in alcohol content.

Matt

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just wondering, why would this recipe be any more expensive than the average IPA or other AG recipe? Might be brewing it this weekend. Would like to get away from Centennial for once in an IPA.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitters View Post
I brewed 10gal of this stuff about a month and a half ago. $96 for ingredients! It came out great, but I had to use regular hops instead of the pellets. Using a full 2oz in the secondary was a bit much. Took forever to finish fermenting with an OG of 1.078

Thanks for the recipe, I am impressed. This was my first all-grain and everyone loves it.
Man you must pay alot for supplies !

Pat

Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
enohcs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
Just wondering, why would this recipe be any more expensive than the average IPA or other AG recipe? Might be brewing it this weekend. Would like to get away from Centennial for once in an IPA.
Due to the lack of a 60 minute hop addition you need to supplement with many more late hop additions to get appropriate bitterness. I find the result to be a smooth bitterness with enhanced flavor and aroma...dry hop if so desired.

Matt

Old 05-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
I'm getting kinda tired of Centennial as well. Bought too many pounds of it! So this recipe (or similar) is next up on my list.

Buying in oz. quantities of multiple hops makes things more expensive, though....

Old 07-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
randyisrad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitters View Post
I brewed 10gal of this stuff about a month and a half ago. $96 for ingredients!
$96??? Are you joking?
Where in the world are you buying your hops and grains at? Do you get them shipped from Indonesia?
Just pay the shipping and order from brewbrothers.biz...this recipe would only cost you $60ish for a 10 gallon batch.

Kegged:
Last Red Cent NW Red
Remember When Crap was a Bad Word Imperial Coffee Oatmeal Chocolate Stout
Holly Gratz Pilsner
Rye IPA
Spring Training IPA
Fermenting:
Breakfast in a Bottle
Conditioning:
Gargoyle Smoked Ale
Bottled:
Hair of the Dog Adam Clone
Cheerilie Wee Heavy
Thanks Dave Stout
Last Chance Porter

Next Beers:
1. IIPA (Brawley's 4rd)
2. Dice Ale

Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyisrad View Post
$96??? Are you joking?
Where in the world are you buying your hops and grains at? Do you get them shipped from Indonesia?
Just pay the shipping and order from brewbrothers.biz...this recipe would only cost you $60ish for a 10 gallon batch.
That message was from 2008. I wasn't brewing yet at that point, but I understand there was a hop shortage that year and much higher hop prices as a result.

Quick Reply