Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - My 2-time gold winning American IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #161
CopperBeechBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hello. I'm a complete beginner (1 failed Coopers kit and 2 batches of all grain still in the bottle - never tried anything else) so please be gentle if these are stupid questions...

What yeast should I use with this recipe?
Is there an alternative to torrified wheat - I'm in S.Africa and I can't get my hands on any?
Presumably I need to work out how much water to use based on the grain bill?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #162
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperBeechBrew
Hello. I'm a complete beginner (1 failed Coopers kit and 2 batches of all grain still in the bottle - never tried anything else) so please be gentle if these are stupid questions...

What yeast should I use with this recipe?
Is there an alternative to torrified wheat - I'm in S.Africa and I can't get my hands on any?
Presumably I need to work out how much water to use based on the grain bill?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
You can use american, California, chico ale yeast (like white labs wlp-001) or any "clean" yeast to be safe. I have used white labs English ale yeast on some IPAs in the past as well.

I am not an expert on ingredients but I would use whatever wheat grain you can get.

I am not sure I understand your water question. If your doing full boils, then do whatever you need to do in order to end up with a full carboy while accounting for boil off. I boil 13 gallons to end up with about 11.5 between 2 carboys.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #163
CopperBeechBrew
Recipes 

Hi

Thanks for the advice. These are the yeasts i can get here:
Safale S-04
Safale US-05
Safbrew S33
Safbrew T-58
Safbrew WB-06
Saflager W34/70

I think i'll try the US05 – got to start somewhere.

Re the water questions, maybe I don;t fully understand the ratio of water to grain but the two brew I've done had specific quantities of grain and water in the recipe so I was basically told exactly what to do. My limitation is my boil volume – I only have a 21litre (5.5gallons) pot so I can safely only boil about 18/19litres (4.8/5gallons). Not totally sure how to calculate how much to mash/sparge etc based on the grain bill from this recipe. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have to ask!

Thanks again

Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #164
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperBeechBrew
Hi

Thanks for the advice. These are the yeasts i can get here:
Safale S-04
Safale US-05
Safbrew S33
Safbrew T-58
Safbrew WB-06
Saflager W34/70

I think i'll try the US05 – got to start somewhere.

Re the water questions, maybe I don;t fully understand the ratio of water to grain but the two brew I've done had specific quantities of grain and water in the recipe so I was basically told exactly what to do. My limitation is my boil volume – I only have a 21litre (5.5gallons) pot so I can safely only boil about 18/19litres (4.8/5gallons). Not totally sure how to calculate how much to mash/sparge etc based on the grain bill from this recipe. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have to ask!

Thanks again
Us05 is a great choice. I have heard of some folks using us04 but I understand you need to have the ability to control the fermentation temp to keep it below 68 deg or less (I think it produces some ethers at higher ferm temps which would distract from your malt and hop flavors). I am not familiar with any of the others you listed.

Sorry I can't help more on the water as I have only done partial mashing where I mashed about 8lbs of grain and then topped up with water and DME to get my boil volume and gravity where it needs to be. When I do mash though, the water to grain ratio is between 1.25 to 1.5.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #165
parrotpoet
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would definitely suggest getting a bigger boil pot so you can do a full boil - but if you can't then you'll have to run off 4.8 gallons of wort from your mash tun, boil it 90 minutes and then take a starting gravity reading. Depending on how much over the mark you are you just add water to bring it up to 5 gallons/correct starting gravity. You can also run off more than 4.8 gallons and boil that separately in a smaller pot and then add it to your main boil. here is a great tool to help you figure out your water to grain ratio.

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

and this is a calculator to help figure out how much water to add depending on starting gravity after boil.

http://merrycuss.com/calc/gravityadjustmentwater.html

Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #166
parrotpoet
Recipes 

just be very careful to avoid a boil over if using such a small boil pot!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #167
parrotpoet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038 View Post
Try raising your fermentation temp to room temp AS SOON as your krausen begins to drop. Usually this is at the 3 day mark. Then make sure you leave it in primary 3 weeks. I think you will be pleased with the results.
Do you also use an aeration system (paint mixer or air pump etc)? or do you just dump into your fermenter and shake a bit? I'm planning to try your approach of raising to room temp after krausen drops on my next batch. but I thought I'd try to aerate more as well. getting tired of my fermentation hitting the dreaded 1.020 stall!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #168
CopperBeechBrew
Recipes 

Hi, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I just noticed something odd, when I view the first post via the HBT iPad app it leaves off the information about the brew - which is partially why I asked about the yeast and volume etc. Screenshots attached of both the iPad view and safari, not sure why it does this.

image-3184162060.jpg

image-2548929181.jpg

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #169
wobblymadman
Recipes 

On a wet and windy Saturday morning here in New Zealand, I spent a very pleasant few hours brewing this recipe (partial mash style).

It's the first time I have done an IPA, so the hop quantity is a fair bit higher than I have encountered previously. Despite straining the wort through a stainless steel sieve when transferring to my fermenter, I was still amazed at the amount of hop material in there. I'm not particularly worried, I'm sure it'll settle over the next few weeks.

I pitched Safale US05 yeast, and despite a slowish start, it is now fermenting furiously. Amazing to watch - the hoppy trub is swirling around as if the beer was boiling, and the airlock bubbling along like a jet engine. Fantastic!

Looks and smells great - can't wait to sample it in a couple of months.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #170
illMATTic
Recipes 

Will I be fine fermenting at 64-65* ??? It is hard for me to bring the house up much past that in the winter.

Quick Reply