Mosaic/citra ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
I've never had anything with mosaic, but I've read that it is a pumped up citra. One: is this accurate? Two: would mosaic and/or citra play well with Columbus? I'm a big fan of Columbus hops and did a single hop ipa with Columbus a few weeks back that turned out pretty good. Was thinking about trying it again, but pairing it with another hop. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't call mosaic a pumped up citra. It's certainly got some tropical fruit, but also some citrus and pine. Citra is a much more over the top fruity. Personally, I think it's delicious and works well with pretty much any of the c-type hops

I have never tried or brewed with Mosaic so I can't comment on that, but I think that Columbus would pair well with Citra. I use it alot to add some complexity to my IPAs, as I like to add a bit of its piney/dank characteristics to complement the more fruity/citrusy American hops.

I think mosaic is used in great lakes chillwave dbl. Ipa. To me it tastes like sweet tropical fruit-pineapple. The flyer for the beer says they also use nugget & cascade. I don't think Columbus would be out of place.

My go to IPA is made up of Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy and finishes smelling very similar to Zombie Dust sooo I think you will enjoy any combo of citra with mosaic. (granted I paired them with another tropical hop)

This is my first post in here, so I'll simply quote something I found interesting:
MOSAIC
Citrus/Dank/Resin/Some Garlic. Big Perfume. Almost Artificial Fruit Flavor.
Tropical, Fruity. Like Amarillo. Lot going on. Too Garlicky? Unlike Nelson, not
enough Tropical Fruit to back up the Onion. Lots of Pine, Bitter, Spicey,
Forest Like, Dank. A Favorite.

These are comments from a tasting panel Mitch Steele did at Stone Brewing some months ago.

This is my first post in here, so I'll simply quote something I found interesting:

These are comments from a tasting panel Mitch Steele did at Stone Brewing some months ago.

Interesting. Where did you find that??

You can read that on an interesting pdf file called: "Techniques and ingredients for brewing amazing hoppy beers".
I found that with a google search: it's available in MBAA's site. I think they did something wrong, because I believe that file should have been hidden (?)
I don't know if I'm allowed to link you there, but you can easily find it searching "steele mbaa techniques and ingredients for brewing amazing hoppy beers"

Please let me know if you need some help finding it :)

I just finished a keg of a Red IPA that used all late additions of columbus and mosaic. Equal parts. Same for the dry hop. It was insanely tasty. The assertive, dank and earthy flavors of columbus go really well with the fruitiness of the mosaic. I'd definitely recommend giving that combo a shot.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

I just finished a keg of a Red IPA that used all late additions of columbus and mosaic. Equal parts. Same for the dry hop. It was insanely tasty. The assertive, dank and earthy flavors of columbus go really well with the fruitiness of the mosaic. I'd definitely recommend giving that combo a shot.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

Bottled last week and it smelled fantastic. Will pop a bottle this weekend.

Back