Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Mad Hatter IPA Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
ohiodad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Made another batch of this today. Got some fresh Zeus and Centennial hops from Freshhops. I cannot begin to tell you how good it smelled cooking! This is quickly becoming my most brewed recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #12
McNasty
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh my goodness this beer is so good. Ummmmmm.....the best beer I've brewed thus far. Thanks Ohiodad!

On tap - pseudo sue clone

Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #13
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Oh my goodness this beer is so good. Ummmmmm.....the best beer I've brewed thus far. Thanks Ohiodad!
Glad you liked it!! Looking forward to popping the first cap on my latest batch this weekend!! This one always turns out great! Cheers!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this with Zeus and Centennial from Freshops as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbirds View Post
Just brewed this with Zeus and Centennial from Freshops as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Cool i hope you like it!! It is always a big hit around my house! One of my most requested brews!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
HumaLupaHead
Recipes 

Default extract spin

I used this recipe as a base for an extract version, and it turned out great. Just tried the first bottle yesterday after 1-1/2 weeks of conditioning.

7.5 lbs. american light liquid extract (I used William's for this. Their american light is very light and clean. No extract twang. Great base extract)
.75 lbs. munich liquid extract

steeped 1/2 lb. crystal 15, and 1/2 lb. crystal 40 at 155 for 30 minutes.

I followed the hop schedule given in the original post (I used a full boil, started with 5.5 gals water).

I used Wyeast American Ale II with a small starter, and fermented at 68-69.

This batch was just a touch (not much really) darker, and sweeter than mad hatter, but that's how I like higher IBU IPA's. Try Wyeast 1056, and lower fermentation temp for a slightly dryer/cleaner finish. Could also drop the crystal 40, and use all 10 or 15 instead to lighten a bit. I used the 40/15 combo to try to replicate the carapils/caramunich combo the author posted. I've heard conflicting opinions on how to best utilize carapils and caramunich, but many indicate that a mash is best.

Anyway, use this as you will. It made for one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Very well balanced.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
camus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Solid recipe IMO, it has been awhile since I Mad Hatter, I have no comparison, but as far as IPA's go; Brew it.

Opinion (on this recipe): Nice American IPA, good backbone has some malt, hopped nicely - not for the weak at heart but not over the top. Good Balance.

I should be in tasting region this summer for the original, but as I taste this recipe I think you should punt the the clone title and pull your own on this one.

Cheers!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
jwk526
Recipes 

I think this will be my next batch. Any preference for using Zeus over Columbus?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
jwk526
Recipes 

Well, Zeus wasn't an option so I stuck with Columbus. However, Centennial also wasn't an option, so I decided to try Bravo. I could have went with Chinook but I never tried Bravo, I'll see how it turns out.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
matalec1984
Recipes 

Giving this recipe a try in a couple of days....anyone have any success with a good partial recipe with this?

Bottled:ESB, Rye Dog Pale Ale V.1, All the Kings Horses Pilsner v.1, Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Daywalker Red Ale v.1,Hazelnut Spiced Porter, 2009 Red Meritage, 2011 Dry Mead, 2009 New England Cyser, 2009 South African Shiraz, 2009 Chilean Chardonnay, 2011 Dry Johannisburg Riesling
Primary: Vanilla Milk stout v.2 and v.3, Chocolate Raspberry Port
Secondary:Italian Barolo, Cran-Blackberry Melomel, Peach Icewine
On Deck:Isla's Boon Strawberry Blonde v.1, Caramel Apple Mead

Quick Reply