Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   India Pale Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/)
-   -   Mad Hatter IPA Clone (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/mad-hatter-ipa-clone-67134/)

ohiodad 05-26-2008 05:38 PM

Mad Hatter IPA Clone
 
Mad Hatter A clone of the New Holland Brew
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American IPA Brewer: OhioDad
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (45 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (2 min) Hops 0.6 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.064 SG (1.056-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 63.9 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 23.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.39 % (5.50-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.27 %
Actual Calories: 283 cal/pint


Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 12.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.35 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

This was one of the smoothest easy drinking IPAs I've ever made. I think it is very close to Mad Hatter IPA on tap. All of my friends raved about it and it scored in the mid 30's in the AHA regionals. Give it a try!
Cheers!
Scott

BrianP 06-13-2008 03:33 AM

I think I'll give this a try. I lived in Holland for about 10 years and hung around at New Holland Brewing when they were in just starting out in a little dive of a place. They make some good beer there.

Sir Humpsalot 06-13-2008 03:41 AM

I had one of those yesterday. It was quite good. :)

ohiodad 06-13-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianP (Post 712078)
I think I'll give this a try. I lived in Holland for about 10 years and hung around at New Holland Brewing when they were in just starting out in a little dive of a place. They make some good beer there.

BrianP,
I think you will like it... It is very close to the original and it is fantastic tasting!! Let me know what you think when you get to the tasting...
Cheers!
Scott

The Mad Hatter 06-14-2008 05:42 PM

I might give this a go...
 
The name rules! I might have to give this a try sometime.


*EDIT* Do you happen to have a steeping grain extract conversion for this?

brew hoperator 07-29-2008 04:48 PM

So good
 
I have this recipe on tap right now and it is really good. I highly recommend this brew.

ohiodad 07-29-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonvillebrew (Post 776730)
I have this recipe on tap right now and it is really good. I highly recommend this brew.

Thanks! Glad to hear you like it!! I just cracked a bottle of my latest batch of it and it seems to get better every time I brew it.

brew hoperator 08-25-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiodad (Post 777391)
Thanks! Glad to hear you like it!! I just cracked a bottle of my latest batch of it and it seems to get better every time I brew it.

I had the actual MadHatter for the first time and I like your recipe better.

ohiodad 08-25-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonvillebrew (Post 816807)
I had the actual MadHatter for the first time and I like your recipe better.

Interesting that you say that.. I believe that there is a big difference between the commercial version of this beer in a bottle and on tap.. Whenever I get this in a bottle here in Ohio it seems to have lost a lot of the hop punch that I get from it on tap. I think my recipe compares more to what it tastes like on tap! Glad you like it though! Making me thirsty to brew it again soon!

brew hoperator 08-25-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiodad (Post 817166)
Interesting that you say that.. I believe that there is a big difference between the commercial version of this beer in a bottle and on tap.. Whenever I get this in a bottle here in Ohio it seems to have lost a lot of the hop punch that I get from it on tap. I think my recipe compares more to what it tastes like on tap! Glad you like it though! Making me thirsty to brew it again soon!

I should have said that I had the bottle version of this beer and I agree about the taste dropping off at the end.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.