American IPA Kitchen Sink IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Nice IPA, dominated more by the hop flavor than hop bitterness
ABV: 7.2%

I just brewed this yesterday, and it is a tweak to my first IPA recipe a few months ago. I also had quite a few miscellaneous hops in the freezer left over from previous batches, which is why this is called the "Kitchen Sink" IPA. This is also why some of the hop addition amounts are strange :D. The Perle and Select Spalt were just some random whole leaf hops I had left over, but those could be replaced with anything really. Centennials for bittering and aroma would be a great companion to the Magnum and Cascades. When I do this one again, that's what I'll be using. I plan to dry hop in the keg, by zip tying a bag full of hops to the dip tube about halfway down in the keg. One keg will get Cascade, the other will get Centennial...just to keep it interesting. When I get near the end of these kegs, I may blend them together just for fun.

I mashed at a low temperature (150F) for 75 minutes on this one to acheive a more fermentable wort and lower final gravity. I also added 1# of corn sugar to add some fermentables without adding any residual sweetness. I also raised the temperature at the end of fermentation to 75F, which I've found helpful to rouse the yeast and consume any sugars still left behind. If you have any suggestions, please let me know...as this is just my third IPA I've ever brewed I'm eager to hear input from more experienced brewers. Thanks!

Kitchen Sink IPA
Date Brewed: 3/15/2009
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Brewer: Two Heads Brewing
Boil Size: 13.83 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: 3 Keg System - Fly sparge
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %

Recipe Information:
23.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.70 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.02 %
2.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 7.02 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 1.75 %

Hops:
1.25 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.0 IBU
1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 34.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.40 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade (dry hop in keg)
2.00 oz Centennial (dry hop in keg)

Other:
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.51 %
2 Pkgs US-05 Dry Yeast

Mash/Brew Schedule:
1. Mash 28.5# of grain @ 150F for 75 minutes - used 8.6 gallons of 168F strike water
2. Fly sparge with 8.4 gallons of 175F
3. Collect 13.5 gallons of wort in the boil kettle
4. Boil for 60 minutes
5. Cool to 72F and pitch dry yeast (no starter)
6. Ferment for 21 days @ 65-68F (wort temp)
7. Raise temp to 75F for 2 days, then crash cool for 3 days
8. Keg and force carb at 30psi for 2 days
9. Store for 7 days @ 12psi

This fermentation started right off the morning after brew day, less than a 12 hour lag. The wort temp is a little warmer than I would like @ 70F instead of 68F. I noticed that today and dropped the fridge temp down a couple degrees, so hopefully the higher temp won't have an adverse effect on the flavor of the beer. Pretty active fermentation, but did not form a huge krausen like I expected.

Holy farkin attenuation!!! Just checked my gravity on my IPA...and it's reading 1.012 on one carboy, and 1.010 on the other! :D With an original gravity of 1.070 that's an apparent attenuation of 84.9%! Oh yeah, and a 7.8% ABV :drunk:. I guess I'll need to label this one an Extra IPA?

Not sure if it was mashing @ 150F for 75 minutes or what but I'm stoked. At this point it still has a way to go before I can secondary and dry hop, but the sample tasted great. Plenty of hop aroma from the FWH and last hop additions. Pleasing bitterness, but doesn't overdo it. I think this is going to be one fantastic brew!

I applaud you for your low bitterness and though I am not going to go out and buy the hops that you used just for this beer, I will definately try your method of hopping and mashing. Good on you.

I just redid my IPA and mashed lower in order to get the attenuation, though I think next I will mash around 148 to get it even lower. 1.080 OG without the sugar. Let us know how this one turns out so that I can copy and pilfer with need ;)

I'm actually planning a kitchen sink IPA next weekend, was browsing around and saw your recipe and it is similar to what I want to try...

How'd yours turn out with the wheat?

Also, some critique on my recipe would be great:

2-Row (US) 10.0 lb
Red Wheat (US) 2.0 lb
Sucrose (Table Sugar) 1.0 lb
Cara 8 (Cara-Pils) 1 lb
Cara Malt (UK) 14. oz
English Medium Crystal 10oz [50L]
Victory (US) 3 oz

Hop Schedule TBD

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Columbus (US) 0.5 oz 60 min First Wort
Warrior (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil
Centennial (US) 1.0 oz 30 min Boil
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 15 min Boil
Simcoe (US) 0.5 oz 15 min Boil
Centennial (US) 1.0 oz 10 min Boil
Cascade (US) 0.5 oz 5 min Boil
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 5 days Dry Hop
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 5 days Dry Hop
Citra (US) 0.75 oz 5 days Dry Hop
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 0 min Whirlpool

S05

6.5Gal
97IBU

Comments?

Seems maybe a tad heavy on the unfermentables (The Cara-pils, Cara malt, and Crystal 50). What's your planned mash temperature? How many packets of US-05 will you pitch?

They are fermentable, just won't convert on their own if I'm mistaken. Could be though.

The 10# 2 row should take care of that. I'll probably mash low, maybe 148.

I'll pitch 1 package. Haven't look at mrmalty but if it needs more I'll make a starter

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No, Cara and Crystal malts are not fermentable at all. That's why you can steep them in extract brews, without needing to mash them. The 2-row only comprises 64% of your grist. The Victory will contribute some diastatic power, but at only 3 oz, it's negligible. I don't believe wheat can self-convert (I could be wrong), but sugar definitely cannot, so I worry that you might be asking too much of the meagre amount of 2-row.

1 packet of US-05 is probably underpitching. For sure check Mr. Malty, but do not make a starter with dry yeast. If it says you need more yeast, just pitch more packets. Making a starter with dry yeast is actually detrimental.

Why would dry yeast be any different than liquid for making a starter ?

I've washed and reused dry used via starters a few dozen times without much ill effects?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Why would dry yeast be any different than liquid for making a starter ?

Because dry yeast is packaged with the necessary reserves already built-in and ready to go straight to work on a full batch of wort.

Moreover, pitching dry yeast directly into worth results in 50% of the yeast dying right away, as the cell walls cannot regulate the liquid uptake. When you make a starter, you're pitching dry yeast into wort. You're reducing cell viability to 50%. Dry yeast is best rehydrated in plain water, 10x its weight in mL, around 80 F.

I've washed and reused dry used via starters a few dozen times without much ill effects?

That's fine - washing and re-using is a completely different story. I also re-use my US-05 yeast. After it's fermented a batch, you can treat it exactly like as if you'd used liquid yeast.

I learned something after doing some research...carapils is unfermentable but I would the 2-row would take care of the wheat just fine, I'll back off the carapils

Because dry yeast is packaged with the necessary reserves already built-in and ready to go straight to work on a full batch of wort.

Moreover, pitching dry yeast directly into worth results in 50% of the yeast dying right away, as the cell walls cannot regulate the liquid uptake. When you make a starter, you're pitching dry yeast into wort. You're reducing cell viability to 50%. Dry yeast is best rehydrated in plain water, 10x its weight in mL, around 80 F.

That's fine - washing and re-using is a completely different story. I also re-use my US-05 yeast. After it's fermented a batch, you can treat it exactly like as if you'd used liquid yeast.

Right and understood that's the beauty of dry yeasts...

But in making a starter I always rehydrate dry and do the same when pitching it. I prep it in 70 or 75 water, usually a cup or so a few hrs before pitching

I don't see why pitching into starter wprt would be different??

Now not saying id be money ahead after buy 2x packets vs the dme for a starter

Back